Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How likely am I to get accepted into the Air Force?

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    In the Canadian military ALL recruits require a security check. They want to know the address of every place you have lived. The names of your parents , they are checked out as well. If married your in-laws are also checked . Your siblings... etc etc. Sometimes it could take months to clear you.

If you've been documented with an OCD diagnosis, the DoD will find out. Especially with how modest the USAF's recruiting goals are relative to the its recruiting pool. Some folks do slip through the cracks despite having a disqualifying condition, but 9.99 times out of 10, they get found out whether due to the symptoms themselves coming to light or when records need to be referenced again for any other reason. Assuming you were able to get far enough to take your oath of enlistment after failing to disclose, you'd basically be playing Russian Roulette with every medical check in or any other reason your records would need pulling. At this point, they've probably got algorithms scanning for disqualifying terms.

I enlisted into the Army in 2004, and during BCT saw a few dudes get EPTSed for not disclosing diagnosed conditions. And in 2019, with records being much better digitized, I can only imagine how much more difficult it'd be to slip by. I wouldn't attempt to play that game. Waivers are granted, though incredibly rarely. Still, it'd be an exponentially safer bet. Talk to a recruiter about it. Though a USAF recruiter has to be god awful to be failing in his numbers enough to tell you to, if you're to lie, don't.

Also not up to date on height and weight standards, but 5'4" and 110 I can imagine is approaching both too short and too slight, if not past the point. 5'8" here, so not in any position to throw stones, but it ain't 2003 anymore. Modern USAF has always been notoriously picky, but especially now. By all means do what you gotta do to at the very least say you tried, but keep your expectations very grounded.

Also, while USAF has much better retention than Army for obvious reasons and thus it probably wouldn't be as extreme for you, enlisting at 26 likely means that pretty much at any level, you'll always be outranked by someone younger than you. Not the biggest deal, but something to consider without being taken by surprise. Lot of 20 - 22 year old dudes can be pretty big a**holes, and if your NCO happens to be one, he could easily make your life difficult, especially if he picks up on any of your OCD triggers.
    Last edited by j.man; 12-16-2019 at 12:10 PM.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Nothing you can do about height but I would to beef up on the weight. My husband is 59.5 and about 185 and he is tiny compared to men joining today.

You have to have the ability to pass the battle fitness test.

Thank you all for your replies. I realize I'm small and have always been so. This being said, I've known people in the Marines and Army (both men and women) who are much smaller shorter and smaller than I am. The Marines are the best of the best physically and mentally so I have a feeling I could survive the Air Force if I put on weight work more on my pushups as running and situps (actually do Air Force situps which aren't really situps but work the flexors more than the abs but still) my strongest area. I know the Air Force isn't at all desperate for candidates and are the pickiest of all the branches. I've decided that if the Air Force doesn't work out, I'll try the navy as I've been told they're short on numbers and actually offering $40,000 sign on bonus for this reason. I'd try going for Master at Arms which is the navy equivalent of Security Forces (what I want to do in the Air Force).

Hello folks, I thought I'd give an update on the situation! I've since met with the recruiter four times, took my ASVAB and finally turned in all of my medical records and pharmacy records for the treatment of my OCD and mood issues. The recruiter said my stack of paper wasn't much compared to what he's seen and told me it'll take about 2-3 weeks for him to hear back from the doctors at MEPS on whether or not I'm mentally capable of serving in the Air Force. He said confidently and cheerfully that in the meantime I should simply research each job in the list he gave me that I qualified for based on my ASVAB scores and narrow my list to six choices and he'll reach out to me as soon as he hears back from MEPS. I'm feeling at ease now as I've done everything in my power and it's in God's hands now in a matter of speaking. Despite from the recruiter being professional and kind, I don't think he'd be wasting his time seeing me four separate times and scheduling my ASVAB, etc... if he didn't think I had a chance of being accepted into the Air Force. He told me he's currently working out of three different recruiting offices so I get the feeling he sees something in me considering how busy he is. Thanks for all the support and feedback!

Good luck!

As for your size, one of my coworkers served in the Army and she is about 5 feet tall and weighs MAYBE 105. I realize the standards/requirements for women are likely different but her tiny size didn't prevent her from serving.

I served in the Army and I was 163 CM and 120 pounds. Back then we had to carry about 60 pounds 13 KM in 2.5 hours.

Thanks for the replies guys! I know I'm a bit on the small size for a guy but the recruiter told me that's of no issue as long as I'm not sickly. I'm also quite strong for my size! Physically I think I'm on good shape... I'm doing pushups everyday (20-30 at a time), situps (60+ at a time), pullups (not required to pass the Air Force PT but they still make you do at least one to ensure you can at least do it.. I can do 8-10 in a row) and I can easily run 1.5 miles in 11-12 minutes and 2 miles in under 16 minutes (Air Force minimum for men is 1.5 miles in 13.45 minutes... I'm easily faster than that). I'm probably in better shape than most recruits are when they report for BMT but I do realize they gradually get you to where you need to be to pass but I still believe in doing more than the bare minimum and if/when I get in I'd like to achieve the Warhawk or Thunderbolt coin for going above and beyond in PT. I'm also putting some weight on... I'm on average about 112-116lbs now so I'm a bit bigger than before.
    Last edited by Rugger937; 01-12-2020 at 03:21 PM.

I have no advice. Just wishing you the best of luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice