I was in a relationship with a woman whose husband abused her

kfred92

I was in a relationship with a woman who has been with a man most of her adult life. She comes from a different country where abuse is common in the culture. I would like to talk with someone familiar with abuse who can help me understand better. I’m stuck and don’t know how to carry on. I care for her deeply still and always will but You can’t help someone whose not ready to see that it’s not love. I’ve done research and I know many times they go back... which she has since done. This has affected me greatly and I’m haunted daily. Thanks

Was? Does this mean that she doesn't want to be with you or the relationship has ended? If it's over, it's over. It's not your problem whether she continues to be abused or how often she wants to go back to her abusive husband. It's none of your business. You're not her social worker. Don't get muddled in situations that have nothing to do with you.

Do you mind explaining more how you feel this has affected you or why you feel the need to intervene?

There isn't a person here who could explain this and ease your mind or help you understand because it is far far to complex and there are so many different stories from abused men and women a world over .

If it is a case of ...how could she prefer an abusive man to you then the answer is only hers to give and I doubt even she could explain it

Why tax yourself with this stuff , chalk it down to a relationship that didn't work out and just move on .

Is she still in that country? How does she "keep going back"? How long have you dated? When did you break up? Have you met in person? Is she divorced? There is a plethora of information online about abusive relationships. There are also a ton of agencies that deal with this. You need to stop communicating with her since she went back to her husband. You are putting her at great risk.

She comes from a different country where abuse is common in the culture. You can’t help someone whose not ready to see that it’s not love. I’ve done research and I know many times they go back... which she has since done.

Archived