Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Dad and Grandma asking us to leave our apartment - is this fair?

Platinum Member
    I think it oversteps that your dad said "i am moving back in". I would work with dad and Grandma and tell them that you need a few months to find a place to go - maybe dad can couch surf with her or you in the meantime.

My end goal for me is to eventually just be a writer and performer, selling my own products, services, and skills. That's it. That's all I want to do as far as what work will make me happy. I have a website. I have plenty of content out there. I have a small audience. Now I'm working on writing books, doing private consultations, starting a podcast, and creating online courses that I can sell to my audience. That's my goal for 2020. So we figure we'll have to live modestly until we can afford a better place, and living modestly might mean we'll have to go to a different state. This is all fine with my husband because he's what they call a minimalist.

That's not realistic. Right now you have a small audience. You need to get at least a part time job that comes with a W2 or something more until things take off and your writing and hobbies become a full time income. BTW, I have a part time job that offsets some of the self employment taxes i would pay to social security. you can grow your audience while pulling more income in. If you have a small audience, will a small audience be enough to sell your books. Is it a topic you are an expert in/have credentials in?

When I was working full time hours, I was so exhausted that I quit doing everything else I actually enjoyed.

then you need to find another job until your hobby takes off. You can't exist where you and your husband are in debt and can't swing more than that in rent

Many people quit their jobs once the hobby is successful.

Originally Posted by jimthzz
    There has to be a happy medium between "Joe Job" and "Professional Wet Dream"
    Well said. Viewing anything less than the dream to be a soul crusher isn't against the law, it just won't get the rent paid.

When my hours were cut, I applied to other full time jobs and in the meantime started working on my passions which are writing and performing. University wouldn't benefit me for what I want to do. I am planning to enroll in an ICF credited coaching program, however.
    ICF has some fantastic programs, I took the Art and Science of Coaching at Erickson 4 years ago and absolutely loved it.

That said... you need to be realistic about your income and living situation while you are working on your goals, and accept that no matter what you decide there will be a compromise, typically either time or money. For example:

1. you could choose to be in a job in a high paying field and have plenty of living options... you then have less time to spend on your passions, less down time, perhaps more stress depending on the job. I have to say though... I work in a demanding field as a people manager and still find time in my life to do all of the things I love to do, including coaching, exercising, learning, social time, and being outdoors with the added bonus of having financial stability in a part of the world where the average rent is anywhere between 3 to 6 times the amount you currently pay.

2. Or in your case choose to do the things you are passionate about that give you joy and happiness... and compromise on where you live, even if it means living in the middle of nowhere, what type of accommodation (studio apartment/basement), whether you have a car or take transit, and strictly budgeting for food, veterinary care, clothing, medical care, gifts etc..

It's all about what you are willing to live with and how you are allocating the time you have... and at the end of the day the things that are the most important to you.

Thanks guys. Yes I do have a part time job and I am now looking for a 2nd part time job or a full time job. We are looking at a 2 bdr apartment here in the area next week that is 900 a month, plus electric. And cat friendly!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Give Advice
Ask For Advice