overthinking it?

E98

Saw a cute girl in the library last night so i decided to go talk to her. I had to run to class and she was also working on something so i got straight to the point and (very nervously) told her i thought she was cute and asked if she’d want to hang out sometime. She said sure and asked for MY number, and said she’d text me.

That confused me because i’ve never had that happen before, where i ask a girl out and she asks for my number. I’ve seen on youtube videos and other forums that it might mean they aren’t interested and just didn’t want to be rude. A few of my friends said it’s no big deal and that she would’ve just said no if she wasn’t interested, but i’d still like to get some other opinions, specifically maybe from some other women!

Thanks!

All you can do is see if she contacts you. It does sound like a "don't call me I'll call you" type of reaction. Could mean she wants to think about it, because cold approaches, particularly when "you're cute" is mentioned, come off as pick up lines and she's used to that. You may run into her again but because you used this pickup technique it may be awkward. For all you know she has a bf. So if she doesn't contact you oh well move forward. Next time try to build some rapport first and never mention their looks, it could come off as 'i just want to get laid, here's my number'.

told her i thought she was cute and asked if she’d want to hang out sometime. She said sure and asked for MY number, and said she’d text me.

Don't sweat it. You are bound to run into her again, especially now that you know where & when she likes to study. I went to one of the largest universities in the world & could always find somebody I was looking for. If you bump into her again smile & say remember me?

Don't worry - let her contact you. It's last night so give it a few days, at least until after the weekend.

yeah i figured with this being the last week of classes that she might have a lot going on. if she was going to text me it’d be this weekend at the earliest.

To echo what others have said. Don't overthink it. Don't get invested (yet).

Give yourself a pat on the back for having the courage to take your shot, given the short window of opportunity. The fact that she asked for your number, instead of giving you hers, could be just personal habit, or it could be a nice way of turning you down. Either way, you have done what you can.

As I said in another similar thread, in scenarios like this, if you have taken the shot, then there is no regret. It's a numbers game to an extent, roll enough times and you'll roll a natural 20 eventually... But no point getting fixated on individual results.

Good on you for having the guts to approach a cute girl! Hopefully she will contact you! However as a woman, I know that usually when girls say: "Give me your number instead" and they don't give their number, it's because they're not interested and they don't want you to have their number lol

It sounds like you were trying out/rehearsing some stuff from the pick up artist material you are reading. Well now you know the outcome... "don't call me, I'll call you". You have to build some rapport first, make small talk, etc. You need to develop mature social skills and try to phase out awkward high school thinking.

Women may think you're just another creep with another "you're hot, what's your number' pickup line. That approach is lazy and lame and the cute ones get subjected to it often. They do not want be be contacted by any random "you're cute" dude who approaches them. That is why she did not want to give you her contact info.

I was wondering what's the best way to approach a girl. would like to know how to just approach anyone I might see around. I was always under the impression that just going up to someone, introducing yourself and being direct about your intentions (ex: telling them you think they're cute or anything like that) was a good way to approach someone

She's very clever. Instead of rejecting you she just simply asked for your number so you can't get a hold of her.

I agree with Wiseman, you need to develop some rapport, like introducing yourself, asking for her name, a quick chit chat, then ask her out or be mysterious and say you hope to see her around, then leave it. You are going to run into her again guaranteed. Gotta have some game.

Good on you for having the guts to approach a cute girl! Hopefully she will contact you! However as a woman, I know that usually when girls say: "Give me your number instead" and they don't give their number, it's because they're not interested and they don't want you to have their number lol

- Bingo!

And like Smakie said, she's very clever. Girls have to be, they get too much attention and are smaller.

Great job in asking a stranger out! Some guys have trouble finding the guts!

She probably blew you off. Most of the time, guys call girls first. Many women can't say "no" - so you have to learn to read them.

You should have asked for her number. If she does not give it to you or only gives you her email, she's not very interested and you'll probably get rejected... so ask another girl.

That's okay, you'll do better next time.

Archived