LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Worried about my 5 yr old girl

Originally Posted by SherrySher
    It sounds as though she does not know how to deal with her own emotions. Anger issues, most definitely. But there could possibly be more.
    Your username is bipolarqueen, I am assuming you have bipolar. It can be genetic and she could be showing symptoms as early as 5.

It could also be an assortment of other issues, potentially autism, aspergers, to name a few but there are many.

We cannot give any kind of medical advice, but only advise and give our own opinions. If this were my child, I would have her evaluated as these anger issues could be a deeper issue.
    I have wondered if she could be exhibiting childhood bipolar disorder, since I have it (was diagnosed at 21 but struggled for years before that), one of my sisters has it, our late father had it, and a first cousin on his side has it.i told the pediatrician about the history and he said childhood bipolar is extremely rare.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by bipolarqueen
    I have wondered if she could be exhibiting childhood bipolar disorder, since I have it (was diagnosed at 21 but struggled for years before that), one of my sisters has it, our late father had it, and a first cousin on his side has it.i told the pediatrician about the history and he said childhood bipolar is extremely rare.
    My father is bipolar and has been exhibiting symptoms since heís been eight. He is 74 now. One of my nieces may have it.

Like I said, she would be like that at school too but she's not so I would think that's its something you and hubby are doing, or not doing and she is looking for structure from you guys even if she doesn't know it herself.

I am going to suggest that you don't jump to the worse case scenerios before you do some reflection on how you and your husband are at odds when it comes to how you handle her tantrums. Try another strategy wherein both you and her father are together talking to her about how its going down next time you see her about to blow or when she gives you attitude about bedtime.

I'm not sure punishing a child when they have a tantrum is effective. "Supernanny" has shown success with it but who really knows if that's just for show.

Originally Posted by ThatwasThen
    She wouldn't be good at school and then turn autistic when she's home. She would be behaving the same way everywhere when she doesn't get her own way.
    I will tell you that not having both parent consistent with discipline and consistent in administering it will allow her to think that her behaviour while at home is acceptable.

Here is a strategy that I was given by a trained psychologist to help up with my daughters occasional tantrums when she was 3 or so. He told us to put her in her room and tell her that she could come out when she was calm and that she should be still and quiet and listen for the bell to ring that will indicate that she can come out. Then set an egg timer outside her bedroom and shut the door. We only had to do that twice and after that if she was sent to her room for any reason, she went in calmly and was out of there in three minutes or less (we were told to only set it for as many minutes as her age so 3 min since she was 3) If after 3 mins she wasn't calmed down, to go in and talk to her about the rule again and reset the timer.

Your and your husband have to have a plan that neither of you will deviate from (whether the one I've mentioned or one of your own ). When she knows you mean biz, she will thank you for having boundaries with her because I'm sure she's not happy being upset like she gets.
    Thank you. I do believe that the lack of total consistency between her father and me is part of it, but he has gotten better, after I broke down crying and begged him to help me, and told him that being the fun dad is great but this is very serious. Iíll absolutely die if she has inherited my mental illnesses (I have severe anxiety in addition to the bipolar). I have not taken her to be evaluated yet because sheís a perfect angel at school, and I figured it canít be THAT serious if she knows how to behave there. But I do think Iíll take her in. It hurts my heart to see her so upset.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    My son is Autistic and his early years at school were a nightmare. At home he had far less meltdowns because he was far less frustrated. Also understand thereís a complete difference between a meltdown and a temper tantrum. But he still displayed symptoms of being autistic over every environment he was in.

Originally Posted by bipolarqueen
    Thank you. I do believe that the lack of total consistency between her father and me is part of it, but he has gotten better, after I broke down crying and begged him to help me, and told him that being the fun dad is great but this is very serious. Iíll absolutely die if she has inherited my mental illnesses (I have severe anxiety in addition to the bipolar). I have not taken her to be evaluated yet because sheís a perfect angel at school, and I figured it canít be THAT serious if she knows how to behave there. But I do think Iíll take her in. It hurts my heart to see her so upset.
    Take her in but don't rule out you and your husband taking her to a child psychologist that will give the two of you lessons on how to handle a kid that is like your daughter. Believe me, my daughter at three/four was an angel at school but when she didn't get her own way at home, OMG. After my hubby stopped undermining how I handled her and actually did the same things as me when she acted up, she was, in no time an angel at home too. She is a wonderful adult now with a family of her own.

My four year old daughter once started to have a melt down because I wouldn't give her chocolate before lunch. I told her "that doesn't work on me" She said, with a teary voice "why, it works on Daddy"... LOL

For a proper assessment I would consult a psychologist or a psychiatrist a paediatrician cannot diagnose autism. They often know little to nothing about it especially in girls. Girls tend to ďmask ď better than boys do ,not a good thing by the way.

We paid for a private assessment for our son and it was about $2000. I got the runaround from the medical community for over a decade . Finally we consulted a psychologist.

Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    Thank you.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice