Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What is love?

Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    I used to be Victoria66.
    You joined ENA not long after I did. I think I recall the Victoria66 name.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by Crazyaboutdogs
    You joined ENA not long after I did. I think I recall the Victoria66 name.
    Yes! I did a name change almost 2 years ago now.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Gary Snyder
    Women say "I love you" more than men. Some men say it only in when there is tragedy. I remember one girlfriend shaking me by the shoulders and saying, "Say it!" lol. Whatsamatter, you no lika Squint Eastwood?!

Despite the claims of pop psychology, men and women are not exactly alike.

A good woman will know you love her by your actions. Relax. She was high maintenance, not the best catch. You probably dodged a bullet.
    As a female I have had the opposite experience to what you describe!
    Based on my experiences , I would have assumed men say I love you more than women? And wayyyy too soon!

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by dcris
    I guess it does sound like that, but when she expressed feelings for me, and while I could have easily said "I love you too", the overthinking me thought how blah, or patronizing, if that's the right word, sounded. The awkward pause hoping to think of something better to say, made it worse.
    So what actually happened was that an insecure female told you she loved you only because she wanted to hear those words from you. So, I would be questioning the sincerity of her words since she essentially dumped you for not saying you love her.
    Her actions suggest she doesn’t. If she loved you , it wouldn’t matter what your reply was. Or lack of reply.
    But because you didn’t tell her you loved her , you are suddenly not worth loving!?

There is no love lost here at all.

Bronze Member
    Originally Posted by Billie28
    So what actually happened was that an insecure female told you she loved you only because she wanted to hear those words from you.
    It was nearly 5 months before the OP's girlfriend said "I love you", so I think that's normal/reasonable, not a sign of insecurity. The fact it didn't feel natural to say it back tells the OP he wasn't really in the same place as her and if it's not there after 5 months then it's probably never going to happen.

I've found most of the comments here to be pretty insightful.

I don't know if this is helpful/relevant to the subject (I think it could be, lol) but of those 5 months, we saw each other usually part of the weekend. Maybe a sporadic weekday dinner if her job took her near me. She has teenage sons and I was fine with the fact that she's got other responsibilities. (Or was I? Hmmmm...)

Anyway, I was definitely up for spending more time together, but not pushy or angry about it.

She has teenage sons and I was fine with the fact that she's got other responsibilities. (Or was I? Hmmmm...)
    How generous of you. Dot dot dot. lol...

Originally Posted by Leah33
    How generous of you. Dot dot dot. lol...
    Hey, now. Lol. Maybe I could have rephrased that, more along the lines of that I was kidding myself believing I was OK with it, but really wanting more time together. :shrug:

I know, I was just being silly 🙂.

Sorry to hear this. It seems it just ran its course and when she wanted to know how you felt (or didn't feel) everyone got their answers and now can go their way.
    Originally Posted by dcris
    Well, as the breakup was "official" as of yesterday. I did notice at some point today she blocked me on FB. IMO this relationship ended prematurely to a misunderstanding.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Videos

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems

Friendship Between Men and Women Often Involves Attraction

Infidelity
Give Advice
Ask For Advice