LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is love?

What is love?

I want to preface this by saying that this post may be a bit all over the place. I just got off what I believe to be the last phone call with my now ex girlfriend. I'm 55, she's 50.

I don't seem to know what love really is anymore. I thought I was in love with a girl I was dating for 5 months, but I felt awkward saying it. We seemed to have great chemistry, mutually attracted to each other...

We both came scarred from past marriages, so I attribute a lot of my issues to that. She definitely has self esteem issues, which I have as well, but not as much as I used to.

She recently mentioned that she was in love with me, and it seemed like saying "I love you too" was just the easy thing to say back, then it turned into an awkward pause. Then I tried to explain myself and it all got effed up from there.

Things went downhill from there.

I really want to see a counselor, but I really don't think I can afford the additional expense right now. So here I am.

ĎLoveí is what you feel in the moment...It comes and goes throughout our life...

Although I guess parents who love their children, well that is unconditional and a love that never dies*

The connections we feel with various romantic partners varys depending on what that person triggers deep inside our core..

My 2 satoshis anyway :)

3. 11-30-2019, 01:37 PM

Thereís a decision component to it, no? Itís one thing to feel the infatuation and the chemistry, and another to commit to nurturing those feelings for the long haul.

So, she basically broke up with you over you saying "I love you"?

Originally Posted by SherrySher
    So, she basically broke up with you over you saying "I love you"?
    I guess it does sound like that, but when she expressed feelings for me, and while I could have easily said "I love you too", the overthinking me thought how blah, or patronizing, if that's the right word, sounded. The awkward pause hoping to think of something better to say, made it worse.

If she were truly 'in love with' you, your hesitation wouldn't make her break up with you. It would lead to a discussion.

After 5 months, if you're not sure whether the person you're dating (I'm assuming exclusively?) has the potential for the future, why waste your time?

Sorry to hear this. Dating 20 weeks is a time you may want to clarify things about being exclusive, sexuality, expectations, etc. This is not about pondering the meaning of words, it's about how you feel about her and if you do or do not want to continue. Don't hurt people because "you are scarred". That is just passing the buck.
    Originally Posted by dcris
    dating for 5 months.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Love is always sacrifice at its base.

Originally Posted by SarahLancaster
    If she were truly 'in love with' you, your hesitation wouldn't make her break up with you. It would lead to a discussion.

After 5 months, if you're not sure whether the person you're dating (I'm assuming exclusively?) has the potential for the future, why waste your time?
    We did attempt discussing it. I tried to explain that I'm not sure what it means to be in love anymore. I thought I was in the past and I'm twice divorced now.

And yes, exclusively.

Platinum Member
    Iím sorry this happened OP.

To me I feel love is something that always works out. True love that is. Whether it be a parent or a child. A best friend or a lover.

To me the love that works out is forgiving, doesnít make excuses and is straight forward. Itís self sacrificing in the way where not only would you protect the person at all costs. Itís sacrifice in a way where you allow yourself to be vulnerable that someone else has got your heart.

Love isnít easy but it shouldnít cause pain and suffering.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice