Calling all diabetics

I hate to tell you this but all I ate last night at my sister's house for Thanksgiving potluck was turkey and a salad! I love mashed potatoes, my mother's divine gravy, sweet potatoes, stuffing, corn casserole, green bean & mushroom casserole made w/o canned soups & w/o canned green beans (used only fresh green beans) and pumpkin, apple and peach pies but I didn't eat any of it. I cooked the majority of the food and all appetizers, washed pots 'n pans 'n utensils, platters, bowls and anything that didn't fit in the dishwasher despite using paper plates. I helped my mother make huge batches of gravy. We had 40 guests! :eek: I just watch everyone else eat, laugh and have a good time which made me happy. :smug:

I did eat a few appetizers which I made and I can't eat like that habitually but once a year is ok. I awoke with puffy eyes because I retain water if I eat anything salty the day before. Today is detox day. I'm drinking a lot of hot green tea! :D

My hands and feet hurt from working the party yesterday. Exercise is planned for tomorrow after a day of rest!

I hate to tell you this but all I ate last night at my sister's house for Thanksgiving potluck was turkey and a salad! I love mashed potatoes, my mother's divine gravy, sweet potatoes, stuffing, corn casserole, green bean & mushroom casserole made w/o canned soups & w/o canned green beans (used only fresh green beans) and pumpkin, apple and peach pies but I didn't eat any of it. I cooked the majority of the food and all appetizers, washed pots 'n pans 'n utensils, platters, bowls and anything that didn't fit in the dishwasher despite using paper plates. I helped my mother make huge batches of gravy. We had 40 guests! :eek: I just watch everyone else eat, laugh and have a good time which made me happy. :smug:

I did eat a few appetizers which I made and I can't eat like that habitually but once a year is ok. I awoke with puffy eyes because I retain water if I eat anything salty the day before. Today is detox day. I'm drinking a lot of hot green tea! :D

My hands and feet hurt from working the party yesterday. Exercise is planned for tomorrow after a day of rest!

Oh believe me my eyes are already rolling at what I can’t eat. Lucky our Thanksgiving is in Oct.

Oh believe me my eyes are already rolling at what I can’t eat. Lucky our Thanksgiving is in Oct.

Wait, your Thanksgiving is in Oct? Is it due to convenience and that's the only time the family, relatives and in-laws can get together? Is it due to scheduling? Or, is your TG (Thanksgiving) traditionally celebrated in Oct instead of Nov? I'm confused.

I have to be careful. My maternal grandfather and uncle are both diabetics as it runs in the family.

It runs in my dad’s family. My father insulin dependent on dialysis at death’s door. Both his parents were diabetic, his uncle was diabetic ,his grandmother was diabetic. And his uncle and grandmother died from diabetic complications. And he will too.

Wait, your Thanksgiving is in Oct? Is it due to convenience and that's the only time the family, relatives and in-laws can get together? Is it due to scheduling? Or, is your TG (Thanksgiving) traditionally celebrated in Oct instead of Nov? I'm confused.

I’m Canadian our Thanksgiving is always the second Monday of October. We have a different Thanksgiving than you.

Seraphim you should get a meter, you cant know how you are doing without one. A dcotor's permission is not needed.

I started off with diet and exercise and was able to avoid meds for a couple of years, then I got metformin and that was good for another few years. Added glyburide and then I found out how it squeezes your pancreas to spit out insulin so I got off that and onto something else with a big long name that doesnt harm an already weak organ....so that's what I still take plus long lasting Lantus insulin at bedtime, so just once a day.

As time goes on it gets harder to keep numbers where they should be but I do work at it. I couldn't begin to eat much of the meal a poster listed above here!

Exercise is indeed very important, we just came back from a week in the Dominican Rep. and walked about 5 miles a day, and that really helps keep the numbers in line. When we go to Mexico each Feb. we walk about 5 miles a day there too. I cant seem to do that at home, tho. I need to work on improving my walking at home.

It runs in my dad’s family. My father insulin dependent on dialysis at death’s door. Both his parents were diabetic, his uncle was diabetic ,his grandmother was diabetic. And his uncle and grandmother died from diabetic complications. And he will too.

I hear you, ~Seraphim~. Same here; can't control genetics.

Interesting. I imagine your menu is different than ours in the U.S.

I can't speak for Sera but for my family in Canada, the menu is the same. They actually celebrate both holidays. I was around for the Oct one. Yum.

I am not diabetic but I take metformin. I love it. There is some research that supports the fact that there are some anti-cancer qualities to this medicine. Side effects go away once you stick with it. I'll take it for life.

Hey...

Just joined after watching your post, because I'm interested to share my personal experience with you.

For your info, last year thanksgiving my height is only 5'6 (170cm) with weight about 210 lbs (95kg). I believe that make me an obessed person.

Not only that, I got a diabetes in my young age (around 25). Usually after eating a lot (especially in thanksgiving) my blood sugar rise drastically, once it reach 400.

This make me stress and depressed because I feel that in my young age, I have a body of my old age.

I take metformin and sometimes insulin shoots. But in my mind, I don't want to spend my entire live consuming this.

Long story short, I got a recommendation in January from my friend to check some diabetes programs. After researching, I decide to buy and follow the program.

In March, my fasting blood sugar drops from usually 180 to 110. My after eat blood sugar level still high, but not as high as usual.

In May, my fasting blood sugar drop to around 110. My after eat drops to 160. Not only that, I lost my weight around 50 lbs.

This year thanksgiving, my blood sugar rise to 137 only after eat. While my weight is around 135 lbs now.

And don't worry, in this thanksgiving, I eat a lot of turkey.

So here are my experience defeating diabetes.

Till now, I am still following my diabetes program.

I believe it is better than consuming insulin and metformin.

Hey...

Just joined after watching your post, because I'm interested to share my personal experience with you.

For your info, last year thanksgiving my height is only 5'6 (170cm) with weight about 210 lbs (95kg). I believe that make me an obessed person.

Not only that, I got a diabetes in my young age (around 25). Usually after eating a lot (especially in thanksgiving) my blood sugar rise drastically, once it reach 400.

This make me stress and depressed because I feel that in my young age, I have a body of my old age.

I take metformin and sometimes insulin shoots. But in my mind, I don't want to spend my entire live consuming this.

Long story short, I got a recommendation in January from my friend to check some diabetes programs. After researching, I decide to buy and follow the program.

In March, my fasting blood sugar drops from usually 180 to 110. My after eat blood sugar level still high, but not as high as usual.

In May, my fasting blood sugar drop to around 110. My after eat drops to 160. Not only that, I lost my weight around 50 lbs.

This year thanksgiving, my blood sugar rise to 137 only after eat. While my weight is around 135 lbs now.

And don't worry, in this thanksgiving, I eat a lot of turkey.

So here are my experience defeating diabetes.

Till now, I am still following my diabetes program.

I believe it is better than consuming insulin and metformin.

My dr wants me to avoid all medication if I can with strict diet and exercise.

I can't speak for Sera but for my family in Canada, the menu is the same. They actually celebrate both holidays. I was around for the Oct one. Yum.

I am not diabetic but I take metformin. I love it. There is some research that supports the fact that there are some anti-cancer qualities to this medicine. Side effects go away once you stick with it. I'll take it for life.

Interesting. I've never heard of taking metformin for anything other than glucose control.

Seraphim you should get a meter, you cant know how you are doing without one. A dcotor's permission is not needed.

I started off with diet and exercise and was able to avoid meds for a couple of years, then I got metformin and that was good for another few years. Added glyburide and then I found out how it squeezes your pancreas to spit out insulin so I got off that and onto something else with a big long name that doesnt harm an already weak organ....so that's what I still take plus long lasting Lantus insulin at bedtime, so just once a day.

As time goes on it gets harder to keep numbers where they should be but I do work at it. I couldn't begin to eat much of the meal a poster listed above here!

Exercise is indeed very important, we just came back from a week in the Dominican Rep. and walked about 5 miles a day, and that really helps keep the numbers in line. When we go to Mexico each Feb. we walk about 5 miles a day there too. I cant seem to do that at home, tho. I need to work on improving my walking at home.

Hahahah I have a forced exercise program in the kids (daycare) but it is still not enough so I try and walk in the evening too. But I probably should get a meter.

Interesting. I've never heard of taking metformin for anything other than glucose control.

I have insulin resistance. Metformin makes my body cells more sensitive to insulin so I can better process sugar and NOT develop diabetes later in life. I have pcos so I am at high risk.

Some women take metformin to help them ovulate so they can get pregnant.

It's rare to take without diabetes but not unheard of. I love it!

Its also prescribed for polycycistic ovary disease.

My blood glucose is usually around 6 - 7 exactly two hours after eating. (I am on metformin but before that, it got as high as 10) Exactly two hours after you start eating is when you should check your blood. Ask your doctor to prescribe a blood meter for you and then you can send the bill into your insurance for reimbursement. The meters are usually free but you have to buy 100 test strips and lances. The cost for 100 test strips is $75.00 at my pharmacy.

The target range for prediabetics and diabetics two hours after eating is between 7 and 10 mml.

Archived