Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I move back to Ireland?

If you need your family around for emotional, practical, economic and other support, do what's best for you and your daughter. He is talking way to far in the future for someone you've dated 24 weeks. If this new bf doesn't like your home country why is he there? Why doesn't he go back to Cypress?
    Originally Posted by Daffodil77
    My boyfriend and I have been together for 6 months. I moved back to my home country 18 months ago after having lived in Ireland for several years. I have a 9 year old daughter who's half Irish.
    Now my boyfriend says he wants to move back (with me) to Ireland in around 2/3 years time and definitely doesn't see himself living in my home country for the rest of his life. Myself and my daughter currently live with my parents.

I would plant myself wherever it's best for my child to grow up, and whoever wants to come or go 'around' that would not be a factor in that choice. Either my relationship with a man grows to matter enough for him to plant roots with me, or not. If not, then I'd allow him to pass early. I would not allow anyone who hasn't established himself as permanent to interact with my child, because she already has a dad who has ditched her. I would not raise her to believe that adult relationships are disposable, so I'd shield her from my dates unless and until I plan to marry.

Platinum Member
    Not knowing what small crowed country you call home, I think your options should be more than that place and Ireland.

If you could go any where in the EU, where would that be?

You need more time than this to figure out if this man is worth it or not.

You have endured an abusive relationship and that no doubt was very traumatizing. It sounds like more time is needed to make a big decision like this.

As for your daughter, she does come first. And being home with family, sounds far more stable and healthy for her right now.

Platinum Member
    honestly, you dated this guy 6 months. Don't think about moving anywhere. You could break up before the year is out. or you might be together. in 2-3 years he will know and you will know if you want to marry eachother. I would not move anywhere as a girlfriend - only as a wife - but for now, you stay with your family and raise your daughter. If he breaks up with you because you can't know what you wlll do in 2-3 years then so be it. But if he is truly someone who wants to marry you, he will and then you will move when its best or your daughter at the age that is best or you may decide to move somewhere else.

this guy has not even met your family - so the relationship isn't even serious at this point

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about losing him over this. You're so early on in the relationship, and even this circumstance is hypothetically taking place a few years in the future. I'd wait and see, these things have a way of working themselves out:) Wish you all the best!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice