Open Club  ·  86 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Special talents

happyfrank

Not sure if special but I used to be able to take exams "open book" because I literally could see, clearly, pages of my notes or pages from the textbook in my mind (photographic memory I guess).

Damn that is a neat trick! Very jealous... though is it anything like it is portrayed in media? Like remembering some detail of your life from years ago because you remember everything, however mundane? (Like Sheldon in Big Bang Theory) Is there any downsides? (I imagine having information overload and feeling overwhelmed).

Damn that is a neat trick! Very jealous... though is it anything like it is portrayed in media? Like remembering some detail of your life from years ago because you remember everything, however mundane? (Like Sheldon in Big Bang Theory) Is there any downsides? (I imagine having information overload and feeling overwhelmed).

Interesting perspective! So I think it's more selective like I can see the page but it doesn't mean I can remember other stuff (also I studied like a maniac in grad school so maybe it was just indelibly on my brain)

Super talent number two -does this count, guys? I've done this before - I missed one step in my multi-step morning routine/school bus stop dash that I do early on in the approximately 55 minute routine (um, pack his snack) - and I remembered after we got downstairs, without having to check in his backpack (which I did, I was right) -it's like this uncanny sense I get that "something" is missing but I can do the next step of identifying the "something" (yes, we dashed back upstairs to get it -I build in a minor comfort zone). Hmm, maybe not so talented but I'm glad he has his snack.

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure if special but I used to be able to take exams "open book" because I literally could see, clearly, pages of my notes or pages from the textbook in my mind (photographic memory I guess).

Don't you love that?

I could actually picture the page the information was on in my mind. I'd think "OK, it's on a left side page. There's a photo on the top half of the page and the words are on the bottom half." Then I could "read" the page. Pretty cool.

Nowadays my memory isn't for crap. I forget why I went into a room. I have something in my hand (a toilet scrubber, for example) that I end up taking into the kitchen because I forgot it was in my hand. I lose my glasses constantly so I've resorted to having a pair in every room (including the bathroom and I'm not kidding). Sometimes I end up with two pair on top of my head because I forget I already had a pair up on there. I drive to work on my days off.

So, my special talent is...forgetting stuff?

My dad is like this... I was always envious as I struggled big time when it came to exams!

My talent tends to be more around reading people and situations. My intuition is very strong. I am very sensitive to energy which is what I use to read the person or the situation. If I have a strong connection with someone I pick up how they are feeling from wherever they are in the world. My friends tell me I am usually "right" about my assessments, which is generally true unless my judgment is clouded by anxiety or fear.

It's kind of unnerving sometimes... my BF calls it my "shine" (we just saw the movie the other day lol)

Archived