LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Football dude

Football dude

Ok so it's been almost 9 years since I came on here, it just popped in my head.. enotalone!

SO I've been with my bf for a year now, and we are still getting to know eachother's quirks and feeling each other out since we were doing long distance for most of our relationship. The issue I'm having is that, he is a great, warm, loving boyfriend, sweet and sings to me and is silly. He is such a genuinely good person, and I feel like the lucky one. But he is also a super laid back football player type that will kiss me in public but I have to initiate it usually. I always seem to interpret his laidbackness as rejection of me. What can I do to be able to receive his love the way he is showing it to me rather than always feeling let down if he's not all over me every second? I usually end up pouting and saying something like "you don't care about me" blah blah blah, I cringe at myself after lol. I need advice! I just love him so much. Like the undeniable, forever type of love, like I just want to be with him all the time and take a bite out of him love.

help

When you love someone you accept them fully, including their differences. This is purely an inside job.
    You get accustomed to the fact that he shows his love differently than you do.

My boyfriend is very demonstrative and affectionate. I can't possibly keep up with him. Yet, he's comfortable and secure with himself, so my style doesn't bother him.

Is feeling anxious like this a pattern in relationships? Or are feelings of anxiety feelings you associate as part of love?

I ask because it's hard for me to suggest how to "reinterpret" something that you see as rejection as love, as I don't think "receiving" love from someone is a thing we can really work on. We feel it, or we don't, and based on that we make the choice to invest. How I see it, at least. I can break my brain a bit to learn Chinese, and have a smoother stay in Shanghai, but I can't break my brain to translate my girlfriend's language of being from one that goes from feeling distant to feeling close, if that makes sense.

That said, if anxiety is something you battle with maybe try to separate the two. So rather than focusing on the question of what you can do to "receive" his love, and seeing that as the path to inner stability, focus instead on what you can do to feel calmer in your own skin. Perhaps in addressing that you become more organically receptive.

Football player type? What does that mean? Just curious. I have a very strong feeling you both don't know each other very well. Have you ever had a disagreement or disagreed on any topics? Aside from the fluttery/butterfly in your stomach feelings what else do you know about each other? He may be trying to please you so often you really have no idea what this guy is about.

You'll respect each other a lot more if you can appreciate your differences while still being in love with each other. I'd take it easy and don't worry so much about how you come across. You do sound anxious and a bit of a rollercoaster. Those are all normal in the first couple of years getting to know someone. If you're the one trying to please him all the time or appear attractive and loving 24.7 when what you really feel is annoyed and irritable, you're not being realistic with yourself. Don't be afraid to acknowledge your differences and not always see eye to eye.

You don't have to like him all the time either. Just respect each other.

If your love language is Physical Touch, matching with someone whose love language is something else will probably always be a challenge you have to over come.

Is your BF more demonstrative in private?

I am also the type that feels just a tiny bit rejected when my BF sets a boundary with me physically... since we are generally affectionate otherwise I get over it pretty quickly.

I wouldn't cause issues and drama over this. If your boyfriend is a very decent human being, appreciate his strengths in character. Nothing else really matters.

If he loves you and laid back, be grateful. Don't pout otherwise you'll be perceived as a spoiled little brat and no one likes that. Have gratitude in your heart and you will be a blissfully happier lady.

My BIL (brother-in-law) paws my sister in public and treats her as if she's his property. He's jealous if he doesn't receive her 100% undivided attention 24 /7, acts like a jerk with what comes out of his mouth yet he's publicly demonstrative by interrupting my sister with physical affection during her conversations with others. If she compliments others, he will deliberately insult, offend and disrespect the people she is talking to. He'll cut you down in order to chase you away. He's mentally sick and extremely insecure. He's some piece of work and a real loose cannon. My BIL is an extreme case. I'm just telling you that there are men who are all show publicly with affection towards their wives or girlfriends but NOT honorable men behind closed doors.

Hang onto your boyfriend and consider yourself lucky. Whenever anyone says that their significant other is "a genuinely good person," that person is a real keeper. Count your blessings.

Platinum Member
    Please stop the self pitying whining and guilt inducing commentary. That will drive him away probably sooner rather than later.

Originally Posted by boltnrun
    Please stop the self pitying whining and guilt inducing commentary. That will drive him away probably sooner rather than later.
    I disagree. I think youíre really smart to be talking things out in here instead of creating an issue with him.

You sound pretty introspective and Iím guessing that if you decide you really want to, you can find it in yourself to play it cool and be relaxed and confident with him. You donít need other people to act or behave a certain way to embrace and adopt those characteristics...

Platinum Member
    According to her, she pouts and tells him he doesn't care about her if she thinks he's not being publicly demonstrative enough for her.

Not exactly a mature way to communicate what you want.

You have to be direct with men. They can't read your mind. They respond to positivity, not pouting, anger, nagging, begging. If they care, they will respond to concrete requests (if it's a reasonable request).

Life's not a fairy tale where a guy will always give you the perfect gift, remember every anniversary, celebrate Valentine's day as you wish, say the right thing at every major occasion.

It's okay to ask for what you want. My husband's natural way to show love to me is in acts of service (he does a lot of housework and shopping and makes my life easier). He also is good about buying flowers at random, without a special occasion.

He does need a reminder now and then about physical affection, holding hands, caressing my hair, hugs, etc., perhaps because he didn't receive a lot of that himself in an abusive home. When he does it, it's okay that I asked because he's showing me cares by wanting to please me, even if he didn't think of it in the first place.

He likes compliments about his yard work and his cooking, etc., which doesn't come naturally to me but I make an effort because I care about pleasing him.

If you have conversations like: "When do you feel loved by me most?" You can get insight about each other and use it like a manual.

Grab his hand and say how warm it feels, and how much you love that kind of connection. Tell him that when he kisses you in public it makes you start having naughty thoughts about him. Don't you think that kind of behavior will illicit better responses from him than pouting? It's called the reward system. People will return to what makes them feel good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice