Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Improbable scenario - to trust or not to trust

Girl.....you are being manipulated and it's working because you've already become invested emotionally.

He paid you some completely generic compliment - it shouldn't even hit your radar, yet you are flattered and smitten by that. How starved for attention are you that such a nothing feels like so much to you? Serious question because that makes you blind to dangerous people and I don't mean the typical Nigerian scammer of "oh look I'm traveling and my vallet got stolen and can you send me some money." No, I don't think he is a scammer like that. However, I do think you are mistaking some red flags for something positive and TWT outlined that in detail for you.

Also, "I'd love to cook for you.".....if I got a dollar for every time I heard a guy say this line....this tired cliche line that men should really delete from their bag of lines because it is that tired and pathetic.....yup, I'd be sitting sipping drinks on my personal tropical island right now. This pitiful line went straight to your heart????

Take a big step back and really seriously ask yourself what's going on with you that you are sooo vulnerable to such utter nothingness. It doesn't even qualify as flattery, but I'm afraid that all that chatting away, this man is learning a lot about you, where you are weak and knows how to say the exact right cheap thing to get under your skin. You should not feel flattered about that at all, you should be wary.

Curious. How much experience do you have with on line dating?

Because unless someone hasn't already told you so, you need to learn this lesson one time and one time only:

There is a very large number of people who participate with online dating for nothing more than electronic entertainment.

He has all the hallmark signs of someone who has no intention of ever meeting you.

I hope for your sake I'm wrong, but this is as text book as it gets.

Platinum Member
    The backstory he has is that he lived his adult life in France. And his ex-wife picked up and moved to the US with their kid around 18 months ago. And he then moved to be closer to the kid a some months later. He was busy getting settled in and then realized he was ready to start dating again dipping his toes into online dating. His job is one that is project based, portable, and remote.

I am betting he is still married. No one moves to another country WITH their ex. They were married 18 months ago. And he is newly separated or he is a married liar. If he truly wanted to prove he was not married, he would have met you. Even if he was only home 2 days in between business trips and it was for a quick coffee meet.

I am wondering if he is actually still living overseas...or is still married

There are too many unknowns, OP. Most individuals don't do this while putting themselves out there to meet and date others. Let us know whether the weekend date works out soon.

IMO, online fantasy-building is a waste of time at best, dangerous at worst, and I hope you won't need to learn why the hard way.

Fingers crossed for you.

So I am curious.... did you guys meet over the weekend?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Give Advice
Ask For Advice