Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Winter mood

kim42

I have never liked the fall/winter season, I miss the long sunny days and warm weather. Any tips on how to enjoy winter? I'm looking forward to my birthday and Christmas, but I feel like all my friends stay at home and watch Netflix. I do have a busy routine but the short rainy days are not fun.

Sounds like a sun lamp, some vitamin D and Calcium supplements may cheer your mood. There are so many things you can do to keep you more active then watching Netflix. Depending on the weather where you live, you could o skating or skiing or take lessons if you don't know how already. Take a special interest course at your local high school night classes. Fly away to a warm climate for a bit (if that's in your budget) Join a gym and get those endorphins pumping through your system through exercise. Those are just a few that comes to mind based on what little you've let us now about yourself.

What I try to do is get some outdoor time every day - I really do hate the cold -we moved to a warmer climate about 10 years ago but it can still get really cold---- and cold rain, the worst and depressing! But again I try not to stay inside, and I do cardio every day -31-35 minutes -typically inside but sometimes outside. I try to walk very briskly when I am outside and that lifts my mood too. I'd also look into volunteer work at soup kitchens, food banks etc so you'll feel like you're helping others who have to endure the outdoors in a way you didn't imagine.

Yes I should have described the weather 😁 It's mildly cold, more humid and windy, no snow over here.

I work out, go to museum/exhibitions and try to improve my cooking skills. I don't want to be like most of my friends who spend their time watching Netflix, I like being busy. There's nothing bad about staying at home, I'm just afraid I might turn into a lazy version of myself.

Yes I should have described the weather 😁 It's mildly cold, more humid and windy, no snow over here.

I work out, go to museum/exhibitions and try to improve my cooking skills. I don't want to be like most of my friends who spend their time watching Netflix, I like being busy. There's nothing bad about staying at home, I'm just afraid I might turn into a lazy version of myself.

I think you’re doing ok. 😊

Funny you like cooking... I was going to suggest that!

How about:

Cook (duh)

Take up brewing beer - so much fun!

Read a great book (I like true story hiking or sailing stories) - whatever your interests are!

Put on a warm, waterproof, hooded coat and go hiking in that cold wet weather!! Afterwards, treat yourself to a relax near the fire, or hot tub if you have one! If not, a long hot soak in the tub with a glass of scotch!

Get things organized inside, so you don't have to worry about it when the weather is nice~

Remodel, or do inside projects while it's nasty outside - then you are free when the weather gets nice~

Get a puppy, or even a pet that is confined to an aquarium (fish, chameleon, etc...)!

Hope this helps!

Funny you like cooking... I was going to suggest that!

How about:

Cook (duh)

Take up brewing beer - so much fun!

Read a great book (I like true story hiking or sailing stories) - whatever your interests are!

Put on a warm, waterproof, hooded coat and go hiking in that cold wet weather!! Afterwards, treat yourself to a relax near the fire, or hot tub if you have one! If not, a long hot soak in the tub with a glass of scotch!

Get things organized inside, so you don't have to worry about it when the weather is nice~

Remodel, or do inside projects while it's nasty outside - then you are free when the weather gets nice~

Get a puppy, or even a pet that is confined to an aquarium (fish, chameleon, etc...)!

Hope this helps!

Thanks Camber, it certainly does help, I really like the inside projects idea! I'd love to have a pet, but right now I travel too often, so can't commit to having a pet.

I mean every season has its beauty and not all fall and winter days are dark or rainy. On a nice afternoon or weekend, nothing stopping you from layering up and going hiking. Also - ice skating season, if available outdoors, if not, indoors rinks are so much fun. There is no reason to look at your friends and get depressed by what they do. It's not your life, it's theirs. If they are happy with Netflix, great. But you go do you and if that means staying active, you certainly can.

I mean every season has its beauty and not all fall and winter days are dark or rainy. On a nice afternoon or weekend, nothing stopping you from layering up and going hiking. Also - ice skating season, if available outdoors, if not, indoors rinks are so much fun. There is no reason to look at your friends and get depressed by what they do. It's not your life, it's theirs. If they are happy with Netflix, great. But you go do you and if that means staying active, you certainly can.

The ice skating thing sounds fun. I'm all about being active, I actually feel guilty when l'm lazy. I mentioned my friends because they all seem happy with saying at home and enjoying winter, and I fell weird staying at home all day. Like I have this different, she told me she doesn't want to hang out with friends in winter, she just wants to stay at home. It's ok, I just keep doing my thing, I have more ideas on how to spend my time:D

Oh there’s a time to be lazy. Of course ! No need to do what your friends do! I have a lot of friends and acquaintances who have very different ideas of how to spend free or down time - there’s room for all of us!

Thanks Batya, i'm not trying to change anyone, I was just surprised to see people around me 'hibernate'.:D

Thanks Batya, i'm not trying to change anyone, I was just surprised to see people around me 'hibernate'.:D

I never thought you were trying to change anyone. I changed a lot as far as socializing after I had a baby. I rarely go out at night -used to all the time - I get far more drained from socializing which is a totally new thing for me - etc. I think it's about finding your peeps - and that might mean searching all over again as people change or go through phases.

I never thought you were trying to change anyone. I changed a lot as far as socializing after I had a baby. I rarely go out at night -used to all the time - I get far more drained from socializing which is a totally new thing for me - etc. I think it's about finding your peeps - and that might mean searching all over again as people change or go through phases.

I know what you mean, I recently joined a group of young women interested in museums/art/theaters and we've done few things together. I also go on dates :D I think I was a just a little upset yesterday that we (me and my friends) don't do as many things as we did in summer, but it seems it's totally okay and natural.

I know what you mean, I recently joined a group of young women interested in museums/art/theaters and we've done few things together. I also go on dates :D I think I was a just a little upset yesterday that we (me and my friends) don't do as many things as we did in summer, but it seems it's totally okay and natural.

Yes - but you'll meet people who don't feel that way -I like to be out and about as much as possible (just not at night anymore) and also those same people might change again in a few weeks. That's great that you have those friends/that group. I do exactly the same as you -I was involved in a number of groups like that when I was single and now I also am but with the limitations having to do with childcare. Sounds great!

Archived