Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is sleeping during the day normal?

Is sleeping during the day normal?

Is sleeping during the day normal? I'm not talking nanna naps but hour long plus sleeps. My mother has since the time I was born slept during the day. She will go to bed at like 1.00pm/2.00pm/3.00pm and sleep for an hour or two. I tell her it's not normal and it's a sign of depression and that you can't sleep away your troubles but she says she is tired. Who is right?

Silver Member
    How much does she sleep at night? Growing up, my friends mother could not sleep through the night. She would nap in the afternoon. Still ended up with less than 6 hours a day. Not depressed, very productive.

8 hours at night on average.

I often fall asleep mid afternoon and sometimes after supper. It could be 15 mins or an hour. Sometimes I cant seem to wake myself up, and I have to give in and sleep a little longer. I'm not sick or depressed nor am I worried about anything. I feel tired, so I have a nap. I dont think your mother has any issue going on but if you are worried perhaps you can get her to go see her doctor.

My husband has a nap after supper almost every day, for half an hour or so. His dad was the same.

Why does this concern/bother you? Do you live with your mother? How is her general health? Does she go to doctors? If so, why are you assuming she has depression? Tiredness, if that is what this is, could be any number of things. If you care that much take her to a physician for a checkup rather than try to manage her sleep habits or argue with her. Many people in parts of the world take naps. The siesta is historically common throughout the Mediterranean and Southern Europe, South America and Mainland China.
    Originally Posted by h3x
    My mother has since the time I was born slept during the day. I tell her it's not normal and it's a sign of depression and that you can't sleep away your troubles but she says she is tired.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    It can be , yes. Naps are actually healthy.

Platinum Member
    People with depression who are trying to shut the world out , usually go to bed and stay there for as long as they can to hide out ..not usually a scheduled afternoon sleep they have been having all their life . The latter makes this even more normal , she has always done it .

Platinum Member
    I think it sounds normal. Depression related sleep to me is when someone won't get out of bed even if they're not actually sleeping - lethargic, always fatigued etc. I used to nap more often when my son was younger and I was home with him. I was exhausted being a full time mom and sleep deprived. These days I nap occasionally and only for an hour tops but I changed my sleep routines and schedule -this took a lot of work on my part. It was worth it to me but it's not worth it to everyone.

Lunchtime naps are perfectly normal in countries with hot summers, and some people keep the habit even if they leave that environment, like my father naps for about 40mins every lunch time, even though he left China 23 years ago and lives in chilly England.

If you're getting enough sleep at night, you shouldn't need to nap. Still, even some folks who have slept 8 hours need more than that, so they end up napping.

Regardless, while the scientific literature is quite sparse on the matter, there is some strong evidence that the woman who carried you, labored, birthed you, and raised you is entitled to taking naps without you sh*tting on her for it. Let her enjoy her day time rest.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice