Is sleeping during the day normal?

h3x

Is sleeping during the day normal? I'm not talking nanna naps but hour long plus sleeps. My mother has since the time I was born slept during the day. She will go to bed at like 1.00pm/2.00pm/3.00pm and sleep for an hour or two. I tell her it's not normal and it's a sign of depression and that you can't sleep away your troubles but she says she is tired. Who is right?

I often fall asleep mid afternoon and sometimes after supper. It could be 15 mins or an hour. Sometimes I cant seem to wake myself up, and I have to give in and sleep a little longer. I'm not sick or depressed nor am I worried about anything. I feel tired, so I have a nap. I dont think your mother has any issue going on but if you are worried perhaps you can get her to go see her doctor.

My husband has a nap after supper almost every day, for half an hour or so. His dad was the same.

Why does this concern/bother you? Do you live with your mother? How is her general health? Does she go to doctors? If so, why are you assuming she has depression? Tiredness, if that is what this is, could be any number of things. If you care that much take her to a physician for a checkup rather than try to manage her sleep habits or argue with her. Many people in parts of the world take naps. The siesta is historically common throughout the Mediterranean and Southern Europe, South America and Mainland China.

My mother has since the time I was born slept during the day. I tell her it's not normal and it's a sign of depression and that you can't sleep away your troubles but she says she is tired.

I think it sounds normal. Depression related sleep to me is when someone won't get out of bed even if they're not actually sleeping - lethargic, always fatigued etc. I used to nap more often when my son was younger and I was home with him. I was exhausted being a full time mom and sleep deprived. These days I nap occasionally and only for an hour tops but I changed my sleep routines and schedule -this took a lot of work on my part. It was worth it to me but it's not worth it to everyone.

If you're getting enough sleep at night, you shouldn't need to nap. Still, even some folks who have slept 8 hours need more than that, so they end up napping.

Regardless, while the scientific literature is quite sparse on the matter, there is some strong evidence that the woman who carried you, labored, birthed you, and raised you is entitled to taking naps without you sh*tting on her for it. Let her enjoy her day time rest.

Ya when you were born, you were waking her up every two hours to be fed...what does yer mother do? She took a nap when she put you down for a nap. Raising a child or children, cooking, shopping, cleaning and maintaining a household is exhausting. It's a full time job so having a hour nap to recharge is necessary... If she is going into Peri-menopause (starts in mid to late 30's) or menopause, sleep is interrupted from night sweats and hot flashes. She may even have interrupted sleep because your dad or her partner snores through the night. As you get to middle age, those naps will occur more often. The after dinner nap is a big one for me.

I agree with Pippy..... with depression they will spend an unusual amount of time in bed, like all day and all night, and only get up to do small tasks.

Ya when you were born, you were waking her up every two hours to be fed...what does yer mother do? She took a nap when she put you down for a nap. Raising a child or children, cooking, shopping, cleaning and maintaining a household is exhausting. It's a full time job so having a hour nap to recharge is necessary... If she is going into Peri-menopause (starts in mid to late 30's) or menopause, sleep is interrupted from night sweats and hot flashes. She may even have interrupted sleep because your dad or her partner snores through the night. As you get to middle age, those naps will occur more often. The after dinner nap is a big one for me.

I agree with the above poster, with depression they will spend an unusual amount of time in bed, like all day and all night, and only get up to do small tasks.

Haha yup.... my son never slept a full night his first seven years of life I’m sure I’m still catching up!! Yup, menopause can sure mess you up.

So, we're not medical doctors (or at least I'm not) but feeling sleepy in the afternoon can be caused by a number of factors. Does your mom eat a heavy carb diet at lunchtime? Or, if she's dehydated, that may be the cause of her sleepiness. Are you aware that your body temperature drops in the afternoon which causes melatonin to be released, thus leading to sleepiness?

Lastly, I know someone who has sleep apnea and they don't get the proper type of sleep at night even though they've slept for 7-8 hours. This is another possible explanation. Just saying...

My mother was anemic when she was a young mother. She was always a morning person, quite industrious and in the afternoon, she'd take a nap. After her nap, she felt better.

Whenever I'm up super early, I feel very drowsy and need a nap even if it's a short nap during my lunch hour.

On weekends, if I wake up very early, I'll take a 3-hour nap in the afternoon. Or, I'll go to bed early because I'm so tired!

Naps are not a sign of depression. Naps are needed due to fatigue.

I nap whenever I can... I don't always sleep well at night these days thanks to perimenopause, inflammation, and a boyfriend that snores like a chainsaw... so I catch up in the afternoon whenever I have the opportunity.

Your mom may be in bed but having a restless sleep... hence the need to nap in the afternoon. Maybe she can try a sleep tracker for awhile to see how well she is sleeping and make some adjustments based on that.

How old are you? Do you still live at home? Do you need her during those hours? Do you go to high school or college or work? Why are you tracking this and debating it?

My mother has since the time I was born slept during the day. She will go to bed at like 1.00pm/2.00pm/3.00pm and sleep for an hour or two. Who is right?
Is sleeping during the day normal? I'm not talking nanna naps but hour long plus sleeps. My mother has since the time I was born slept during the day. She will go to bed at like 1.00pm/2.00pm/3.00pm and sleep for an hour or two. I tell her it's not normal and it's a sign of depression and that you can't sleep away your troubles but she says she is tired. Who is right?

Nope, not always a sign of depression.

Archived