Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is sleeping during the day normal?

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Certain medications can also make you sleepy.

Ya when you were born, you were waking her up every two hours to be fed...what does yer mother do? She took a nap when she put you down for a nap. Raising a child or children, cooking, shopping, cleaning and maintaining a household is exhausting. It's a full time job so having a hour nap to recharge is necessary... If she is going into Peri-menopause (starts in mid to late 30's) or menopause, sleep is interrupted from night sweats and hot flashes. She may even have interrupted sleep because your dad or her partner snores through the night. As you get to middle age, those naps will occur more often. The after dinner nap is a big one for me.

I agree with Pippy..... with depression they will spend an unusual amount of time in bed, like all day and all night, and only get up to do small tasks.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by smackie9
    Ya when you were born, you were waking her up every two hours to be fed...what does yer mother do? She took a nap when she put you down for a nap. Raising a child or children, cooking, shopping, cleaning and maintaining a household is exhausting. It's a full time job so having a hour nap to recharge is necessary... If she is going into Peri-menopause (starts in mid to late 30's) or menopause, sleep is interrupted from night sweats and hot flashes. She may even have interrupted sleep because your dad or her partner snores through the night. As you get to middle age, those naps will occur more often. The after dinner nap is a big one for me.

I agree with the above poster, with depression they will spend an unusual amount of time in bed, like all day and all night, and only get up to do small tasks.
    Haha yup.... my son never slept a full night his first seven years of life Iím sure Iím still catching up!! Yup, menopause can sure mess you up.

Sleeping according to one's own schedule is a luxury provided that she CAN sleep well or doesn't sleep too much.

Does she display any symptoms of depression beyond this?

Platinum Member
    I have several medical conditions that make me very, very tired...ALL the time. I would love to take naps!

Does she have any medical conditions? Is she on medication?

I agree with the others. Let her be. If you are very concerned about her, ask her if you can take her to the doctor or support her/encourage her to go get checked or at least have some bloodwork down (regular check up).

I don't see the issue. My grandfather napped every day after lunch. He credited that and wine to his long life. It's good for you!

Gold Member
    So, we're not medical doctors (or at least I'm not) but feeling sleepy in the afternoon can be caused by a number of factors. Does your mom eat a heavy carb diet at lunchtime? Or, if she's dehydated, that may be the cause of her sleepiness. Are you aware that your body temperature drops in the afternoon which causes melatonin to be released, thus leading to sleepiness?

Lastly, I know someone who has sleep apnea and they don't get the proper type of sleep at night even though they've slept for 7-8 hours. This is another possible explanation. Just saying...

Of all the things that scream depressed

1 hour naps every day arenít setting any alarm bells.

I agree, let your mom live her life

My mother was anemic when she was a young mother. She was always a morning person, quite industrious and in the afternoon, she'd take a nap. After her nap, she felt better.

Whenever I'm up super early, I feel very drowsy and need a nap even if it's a short nap during my lunch hour.

On weekends, if I wake up very early, I'll take a 3-hour nap in the afternoon. Or, I'll go to bed early because I'm so tired!

Naps are not a sign of depression. Naps are needed due to fatigue.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice