LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boyfriend embarrassed?

Boyfriend embarrassed?

Okay so I didnít really know what to put as the title, but here goes. So basically, I have a YouTube channel and I film and upload videos as a hobby and I love doing it. However my boyfriend said heís never gonna watch them? Iím not gonna force him to watch them obviously but he just said he doesnít want to watch them and it kinda hurts. I said iíd send him the link to watch when Iíve uploaded but he said he wonít watch it. Like I love doing it and he just donít care about watching them, but he watches videos on YouTube all the time. Makes me feel like heís embarrassed of me.. am I overreacting?

At the very least, he should watch them in order to show support to you.

The fact that he flatly refuses, shows that he does not care and is not a very supportive partner.
    It's your decision on whether you are willing to stay with someone like that or not.

I mean, how hard is it to hit play? What a jerk.

What are the videos about? Maybe your topics do not appeal to him or maybe the offend him.

Can I ask how long you've been together?

All in all, I guess it comes down to how important it is for this aspect of your life to be supported, and what that support looks like. I make my living making something that the public consumes, for instance, but I've never been particularly interested in my partners (or friends, family, etc.) consuming it. They can, they can't. What's most essential to me, support-wise, is that I feel like the energy I put into it and the process involved is respected, since it's a pretty big part of the fabric that makes me me.

Why are you assuming he is embarrassed? Has he explained at all about why your videos make him uncomfortable? Or is he just being fully dismissive?

This isn't a hard and fast rule but what I've generally found is that if there is often not enough of a person to go around (ie, not enough interest in you or life), there usually isn't enough of that person there in the first place. Yes, logic. It's a wonderful thing. In other words, he's not feeling like himself.

If your partner isn't as engaged in your personal life, where else are you both supposed to connect? You're not supposed to be clones of each other but there should be some genuine interest. If he's treating your videos like a vampire might run away from garlic in a cartoon, this wouldn't make anyone feel so great.

I'm also thinking that as an 'influencer' or someone who takes to social media, you may be particularly sensitive to your viewers and their opinions. It's natural for you to wonder why a particular audience doesn't like what you're doing. You're just wired like that whereas individuals who might not give a damn what others think or are not 'influencers' wouldn't care as much.

Take it with a pinch of salt, I think. Ask yourself if you're feeling ok. Check in and see whether he's feeling ok. Both of you should feel welcome and free to pursue your interests and be respectful of each other. You're not always going to overlap in intensity when it comes to different interests but there should be some desire to engage with you.

Why is he not interested? It's only 16 weeks of dating. Why not enjoy your own hobbies for you. It' not something he needs to get involved in. That's ok, he doesn't have to watch them if you love doing this hobby. Stop shoving it down his throat.

It has nothing to do with you or your relationship, he just doesn't want things forced on him that he then "has to" like or comment on. Enjoy the hobby with your friends and followers.
    Originally Posted by Hollsmaur
    I have a YouTube channel and I film and upload videos as a hobby and I love doing it. However my boyfriend said heís never gonna watch them? Like I love doing it and he just donít care about watching them, but he watches videos on YouTube all the time.

Yes, failing that this thread isn't just a ploy to eventually supply us with your link so you get hits, I'm also going to ask what reason he gives for not watching.

We havenít been together very long.. coming up to 3 months. Heís not given me a reason to why he doesnít want to, now hes just said he isnít gonna watch them alone, but will watch it with me.

Heís also deactivated and reactivated his Facebook account twice, and I posted a video on Facebook and he said he ďhiddenĒ it from his news feed because he didnít want to see it, including who comments and likes it, but I donít get why

So he is not interested in getting involved in your interests. It could be that he's not a romantic guy. That's not good. Women like romantic men.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice