LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Landlady, normal or not?

Landlady, normal or not?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but I couldn't find a suitable section.

I have a question if this is normal or acceptable, as I never experienced such.

I will soon move and my landlady showed my apartment today to someone. She told me with several days in advance that someone would see my apartment. I left my house tidy (ok, I admit my wardrobe is full of stuff I didn't have time to put in place) and cleaned up the floors and the bathroom. I got out so that they could show the house without me on their way. When I come back she tells me that she came to my place before the interested person came up and tidy it up, changed some things to make it prettier and cleaned a bit and said that some parts needed a little cleaning.

Is it normal that she came to my apartment before and did that? I felt that my privacy was invaded. I knew that she would come with someone to see the house and that's perfectly fine... but be in my house before moving my things around and all that? Is this normal?

I would say No. She should've given you a heads-up or mentioned it before hand. She did kinda invade your privacy and would deffinitly greatly lower my trust in the landlady if I were in your shoes.

Originally Posted by Annia
    Sorry if this is in the wrong section but I couldn't find a suitable section.

I have a question if this is normal or acceptable, as I never experienced such.

I will soon move and my landlady showed my apartment today to someone. She told me with several days in advance that someone would see my apartment. I left my house tidy (ok, I admit my wardrobe is full of stuff I didn't have time to put in place) and cleaned up the floors and the bathroom. I got out so that they could show the house without me on their way. When I come back she tells me that she came to my place before the interested person came up and tidy it up, changed some things to make it prettier and cleaned a bit and said that some parts needed a little cleaning.

Is it normal that she came to my apartment before and did that? I felt that my privacy was invaded. I knew that she would come with someone to see the house and that's perfectly fine... but be in my house before moving my things around and all that? Is this normal?
    Nope, absolutely not. Not only not normal, but illegal. She may not touch your things, move anything around, etc, etc, etc. with sole exception of an emergency, like water pipe broke and they need to move your stuff to fix it because you aren't around to do it yourself.

Just want to clarify that showing the place for the next tenant is normal, however she may not touch anything of yours and must ensure that prospective tenant doesn't either.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by DancingFool
    Nope, absolutely not. Not only not normal, but illegal. She may not touch your things, move anything around, etc, etc, etc. with sole exception of an emergency, like water pipe broke and they need to move your stuff to fix it because you aren't around to do it yourself.

Just want to clarify that showing the place for the next tenant is normal, however she may not touch anything of yours and must ensure that prospective tenant doesn't either.
    Completely agree.

Cleaning up is way out of line. Although she can show the place she can not touch your belongings. Reread your lease and arrange it so you are present when strangers are roaming around your place. Your insurance or the lease may not cover theft/damage, etc.
    When I come back she tells me that she came to my place before the interested person came up and tidy it up, changed some things to make it prettier and cleaned a bit and said that some parts needed a little cleaning.

Well, realtors do that sort of thing all of the time but we tell our seller in advance that we will be having the home "staged"and that means that we will be rearranging furniture to make the place look the biggest and the space used to it's best advantage to get the place sold. If mirrors or whatever need shining then that will take place as well.

I don't think it was right of her to not tell you before hand that she would be "staging" your place. You could contact the Landlord/Tenant Agency where you live and ask them if it was a breach of your lease or fineable for her to do that without notice. You say she did that before the expected showing date... did she give you 24 hours notice that she would be entering your unit? Is this a private home or an apartment building?

I think the 'staging' is fine if a realtor is trying to sell the house for the person who is living there. After all, the owner has something to gain by it. But for someone in an apartment who is going to be moving, I think it's inappropriate for a landlady to show an apartment before the tenant moves out..

It sucks but its in most leases that the landlord can enter in order to facilitate a new lease. I doubt her lease stipulates that the landlord can "stage" without the current tenant's permission though.

It may be best to start boxing up stuff and especially valuables, personal items etc. Again, reread the lease.Yes in many jurisdiction landlords can show a place. But most need your permission to enter and give you advance written notice. Protect your privacy and belongings. You have to pack anyway. If you don't have to leave, don't. If things go missing/get damaged it will be on you. Before you move take photos of everything.
    She told me with several days in advance that someone would see my apartment. I left my house tidy (ok, I admit my wardrobe is full of stuff I didn't have time to put in place) and cleaned up the floors and the bathroom. I got out so that they could show the house without me on their way.

Platinum Member
    When i was renting i already decided i was intersted in the place based on location and price and seeing it just was me making sure the place wasn't falling apart, was well maintained (i didn't care if the tenant was dirty -- but were the windows drafty, was drywall flaking down? was the ceiling dripping?

Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    It may be best to start boxing up stuff and especially valuables, personal items etc. Again, reread the lease.Yes in many jurisdiction landlords can show a place. But most need your permission to enter and give you advance written notice. Protect your privacy and belongings. You have to pack anyway. If you don't have to leave, don't. If things go missing/get damaged it will be on you. Before you move take photos of everything.
    I agree with this. But i would tell the landlord per your lease, you would appreciate if she didn't touch your things

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice