Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: After 4 dates he referred to me as “great company.” What does that mean?

After 4 dates he referred to me as “great company.” What does that mean?

Casually dating a guy. We’ve gone on four dates. It became physical on third date- no sex anytime soon. I’m 30, female dentist. He’s 35 and owns and works in his business. He’s the youngest guy I’ve ever dated.

We haven’t had any talks yet in regards to where this relationship is going and or if he’s dating others. (Most likely he is, missing a lot from text and conversations especially at night). He was sweet to take me home around 1am last night so I sent a text thankin g him for a great night and driving me home 8 miles so late at night and he replied “thank you for being such great company” is that friend zoning?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

I wouldn't jump to conclusions. I think it was an innocuous statement. He was being polite since it's only been 4 days thus far. Give it time. See how your friendship and relationship will develop. Try not to nitpick and read into every word and sentence. Have good times, enjoy conversations and see where both of you are months from now. It's still premature to say anything at this point. You're still strangers after 4 dates and don't really know each other well. Observe each others personalities and characters which will take months at least.

I think that’s a very nice compliment. It feels to me like he was saying he enjoyed being around you.

It depends, I suppose. It sure is mild to me and a little lacking in spark but some people are not passionate people and some are also subdued or nervous. He owns his own business so you might have been expecting a lot more passion and gusto (a go-getter). He may be behaving in a reserved way if you yourself are ultra reserved and seem very conservative. Keep in mind that you're giving off vibes too.

Take things one step at a time. No harm getting to know one another. If you're not feeling you're not feeling it. Don't over-question it and trust your instincts if it just isn't right.

Gold Member
    I'd say don't take it as a negative. If I was trying to friendzone a woman I wouldnt tell her she was great company for fear of giving her the wrong impression.

Just take it a day at a time.

Gold Member
    I agree that he was paying you a compliment.

We men can be a bit arkward, you know.

I'd say you think too much.

He drove you home late at night and tells you he likes spending time with you.

What is making you nervous about him?

Is it because he is not as obsessed with communicating as you expect him to be?

Do you want to date "casually" or do you want to have the exclusive talk before "it becomes physical"? Decide what you want out of this situation or dating in general. If things 'got physical' then it would be fwb-zoning, not friendzoning.
    Originally Posted by Sabrina918
    Casually dating a guy. We’ve gone on four dates. It became physical on third date.
    We haven’t had any talks yet in regards to where this relationship is going and or if he’s dating others. driving me home 8 miles so late at night and he replied “thank you for being such great company” is that friend zoning?

Platinum Member
    I think that's a lovely compliment all the time and especially at this stage! And that he texted back so late at night.

I would not read into his communication at night -I dated a ton and did not get exclusive after only 4 dates with someone new - and my dates could be during the day, in the morning or at night. I specifically didn't communicate with new guys on date nights if I wasn't with that guy because it was none of his business if I was home or out on a Saturday night (also -I had no cell phone so communication was via land line, work phone, e-mail and instant message - and once we were more serious we typically would talk on the phone daily, once, on the days we didn't see each other and email some. I don't relate at all to constantly keeping in touch -I think it kills a budding romance or at least risks it).

It's a compliment. I've got friends, family, and a wife who are great company. I've had flings and one night stands that were great company. Iv'e had women I ended up not being romantically interested in but were great company. Try not to get so emotionally invested only a few dates in where you're dissecting pretty benign comments.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice