LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: French Bulldogs

French Bulldogs

Thinking about getting a French Bulldog. Is there anything I should know before I buy one? Are they high maintenance? Health issues?

They tend to have breathing difficulties and they slobber.

My relative has one.

Have spent upwards of $10,000 on genetic health defects and itís only a couple years old.

Their dogís personality is super hyper and not easily trained. Very comical and tons of energy!

Platinum Member
    Google it. I know there are breathing issues.

I ❤️ Frenchies!

Platinum Member
    Consider that there are many in rescue. a rescue that specializes in Frenchies and pugs may go a long way in educating you if its actually the right breed for you, and with a dog who is already older than a puppy, you will know if they inherited anything you need to watch out for. The breed is not for everyone - best research and maybe even consider fostering before you have one permanetly before you decide if its the right breed for you

Platinum Member
    do not buy one, adopt one.

My friend's French bulldog's name was Bernie, very stubborn and left her broke with high vet bills. Some purebreds have a laundry list of health woes.

Contrary to what people believe about bulldogs being couch potatoes, French bulldogs are more energetic than other bulldog breeds.

Like all bulldogs they have breathing issues and can get worse when older. One thing I've heard about bulldogs is that if they've some heavy wrinkles on their face, you gotta clean between their wrinkles because dirt/food can get between them and after awhile it can smell.

We did a house sit for people who had a bulldog and a lab. Lovely dogs. The bulldog indeed has breathing issues, they all do, but they also fart a lot! I mean a lot. So the owners fed both dogs plain yogurt mixed in their kibble which really helped with the gas. Keep that in mind. It is a bulldog thing!

They are nice dogs, honestly! Very friendly and smart. But dont buy one, adopt one.

Health issues are pretty inherent when it comes to 200+ years of extreme inbreeding, particularly when it comes to intentionally breeding objectively ****ty and incredibly inhumane brachycephalic characteristics. French Bulldogs will live an entire lifetime not breathing properly, struggling with hyperkeratosis, and more likely than not requiring soft palate surgery just to be a functioning dog. But at least they're cute. ^_^

I don't get on my pedestal for all pure breeding. Adopt when and where ever possible, but I understand if you've got a herd of goats you need a livestock guardian dog for or if you need a bomb sniffer. But taking a rubber mallet to a dog's snout just so you can say you've got a cutie patootie destroys any mutual benefit and for no working reason. Please reconsider.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice