Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: French Bulldogs

Post #15 might give some insight into the OP's personality and lifestyle. I agree with Jman on those points (#17) and didn't have the heart to type the same thing out but am glad he did.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Snny
    Wow, there are some uneducated responses about breeders in general.

I love my purebred Pembroke welsh corgi.
    That's what I was thinking...I see them at our dog park when they do a meet-up...at least 30 frenchies all running around and playing! So cute!!!

I have a Pembroke Welsh Corgi too!!! I love her to inifinity. She's my baby. But I would only recommend if you can live with the barking, shedding, and ridiculously out-smart you behavior. So easy to train though. Had her house-broken in 2 weeks. Our reccue took close to 5/6 months to be fully housebroken.

Originally Posted by tattoobunnie

I have a Pembroke Welsh Corgi too!!!
    I've always wanted one!
    My son and his wife planned on getting one for years and instead came home with 2 border collies.

Platinum Member
    Here's the rescue [Register to see the link]

Here's our Corgi [Register to see the link]

Originally Posted by tattoobunnie
    Here's the rescue [Register to see the link]

Here's our Corgi [Register to see the link]
    won't open. .darn it

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by h3x
    Describes my personality very well that's why I want one. Not worried about the farting or other things I can cope with that. I'm worried about vet bills and the dog needing regular surgery for it's entire life though, do they really need a lot upkeep? And pure breeds are very expensive here. I am concerned about buying a dog that will be in pain it's whole life due to inbreeding. I want to make a ethical choice. What other dogs should I consider?
    If you are extremely stubborn, and so is the dog, you may become very quick to be angry at the dog - it might not be the right match. Sometimes a stubborn person needs a more easy going dog - it just depends.

because Frenchies are popular - there are SOOO many in rescue. That is why i encourage you to look at that route -- look at petfinder dot com and look up French bulldog rescue. If you were looking for a rarer breed there are GOOD breeders trying to protect and preserve the breed but if you won't be showing the dog, doing judged sports with the dog, etc, then a breed that is so widely available -- you don't need to buy one.

Also, a "good breeder" won't advertise puppies in the local newspaper or some flashy website and won't "always have puppies." They will rarely have puppies because they breed carefully and when they do, most of those pups have families in mind before they are born. If someone is making a living by selling puppies - run! A "good" breeder will tell you they lose money on puppies with prenatal care, travel for one of the parent dogs or both (because they won't own both parents, they will find the most suited dog and that may be a dog genetics-wise owned by someone else, hip and eye testing, and more.) ph plus puppy vetting and ultrasounds.

I really encourage you to foster the breed first - and that will tell you if owning a Frenchie for life is for you

There are tonnes of resources online to help you narrow down your search. I wouldn't get stuck on a breed, as there are lots of potential fits with what you are looking for and too much focus on breed may cause you to overlook a great match for your new best buddy.
    Dancingfool's post is a great place to start with your research!

Some of the shelters near me actually do compatibility matches and give you a chance to come in on multiple occasions to get to know prospect matches. I think that's amazing, as they have a good idea as well of each animals personality and needs. It's what we did with our newest addition cat, and she fits in our family so well it feels like she's been with us much longer than she has.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by itsallgrand
    There are tonnes of resources online to help you narrow down your search. I wouldn't get stuck on a breed, as there are lots of potential fits with what you are looking for and too much focus on breed may cause you to overlook a great match for your new best buddy.
    Dancingfool's post is a great place to start with your research!

Some of the shelters near me actually do compatibility matches and give you a chance to come in on multiple occasions to get to know prospect matches. I think that's amazing, as they have a good idea as well of each animals personality and needs. It's what we did with our newest addition cat, and she fits in our family so well it feels like she's been with us much longer than she has.
    One of the local shetlers does "field trips" where families can take a dog overnight or on a field trip to the bark, or dog friendly retail district or to the beach to give a dog a break from the shelter. It does not mean you have to adopt them, but it helps you get a feel for different types of dogs. Fostering is also amazing because you can help a couple dogs for a short time - and get used to if the routine of having a dog is for you = or the size/type of dog.

honestly, after my last dog passed away, i didn't ever in a million years think i would have the dog breed that i do now - but my dog and i are perfect for eachother.

That's so cool about the field trips!

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by itsallgrand
    That's so cool about the field trips!
    They have days where people check in at a certain time, and then check the dog back in. I think one day 2/3 of the shelter were on field trips.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice