Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How can I learn to go to work when I desperately don't want to?

Holy cow did your parents screw up with you, letting you lay around the house and do nothing useful til age 24. No wonder you are so jaded. You do need to get off your lazy butt and go to work 5 days a week, maybe 40 hours a week, earn your money to pay your way. Being a freeloader gets old eventually and that's what and where you are now.

Yes, pull up your big girl panties and get a mitt and get in the game. If this job doesnt work out, get another. Dont go home and lay on the couch.

Originally Posted by boltnrun
    Check out the previous thread. I'm confused because they sound opposite.

OP, can you please clarify?
    Yea... what's goin' on here?

Life changes and change isn't all bad.

Lounging carefree might be nice, but not sustainable. Going to work every day can be fun and even satisfying IF you choose to make it so. It's all about your own attitude. Anxiety, fear, feeling out of place and uncomfortable - all completely normal. I mean at 24 you have a lot of growing and catching up to do with your peers. Others already went through this years ago, you are doing it now. Regardless, it's not optional. Jobs lead to money, money buys nice things and rewards for working.

Sure your parents may talk the way they do, but in reality work put a roof over their and your head, puts food on the table, buys clothes, buys vacations, etc, etc, etc. You work to live and that means to have fun outside of work. Work is just a tool that gets you the toys, whatever those toys may be for you. You got to get real at some point.

Platinum Member
    OP, work is not so horrible. It's just a habit like everything else, you will get used to it. Getting satisfaction from work is rare. But everyone gets satisfaction when he gets his paycheck lol. Making decent money will allow you to have much more freedom than when you depend on your parents.

I had overprotective parents. They enabled me a lot when I was young and it's easy to get complacent. It took me few years in the workforce to overcome obstacles and insecurities ingrained by this lifestyle. Unnecessary problems….

Tip: the next few years try to learn to sever your emotions from work. If you want to be good at something (whatever you do) you have to leave your ego and emotions at the door. Easier said than done. You seem an intelligent person, don't worry too much. Good luck :)

Platinum Member
    Don't be so judgmental people! Ts ts ts

Originally Posted by dias
    Don't be so judgmental people! Ts ts ts
    Sometimes ya gotta tell it like it is dias.....

OP, in the other thread yu said:

"..I am well educated, hard working in good jobs."

Work goes something like this, usually. 8 hours work, 8 hours leisure (or whatever) and 8 hours sleep. So, what's the big deal?

I entirely second what Melanchol said above.

Why would any parent have a 24 year old in full health and strength lying around a house doing nothing! I certainly never lounged around the house at 24 nor at 14 for that matter.

All that aside, work gives structure to your day. You get up, join the human race, and get on with it.

You say:

"I started a job that is even well paid and prestigious.

BUT that's where my psychological breakdown and hell began!"

Well paid and prestigious, but geeze, it's causing a psychological breakdown!

Platinum Member
    You had to get up to go to school, right?

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Camber 2019
    Sometimes ya gotta tell it like it is dias.....
    Maybe "tough love" work for some but not for everyone. Besides, harsh words don't change reality only actions do. Too much drama over nothing. She will continue going to work like everyone else in this world and she will learn to like it over time. It's the inception now, it is always difficult at first.

OP, congrats on getting a new good job :) Learn how to become very good at your job. The biggest real satisfaction you can get in this life is the satisfaction of becoming really really good at something.

PS: See Camber, this is how you motivate people. If you want to motivate/help someone better trigger his/her inner motivation. Tough love doesn't do anything.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by dias
    Maybe "tough love" work for some but not for everyone. Besides, harsh words don't change reality only actions do. Too much drama over nothing. She will continue going to work like everyone else in this world and she will learn to like it over time. It's the inception now, it is always difficult at first.

OP, congrats on getting a new good job :) Learn how to become very good at your job. The biggest real satisfaction you can get in this life is the satisfaction of becoming really really good at something.

PS: See Camber, this is how you motivate people. If you want to motivate/help someone better trigger his/her inner motivation. Tough love doesn't do anything.
    I dunno, I got a lot of tough love. I am a productive member of society.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice