Boyfriend’s Family does not like me.

JDancer34

Hey there.

*please know that I’m writing this before my coffee and forgive me if it’s a bit all over the place*

So to make a very long story short, my boyfriend’s family are not my biggest fans right no due to something that I did in the not too far past ( and quite frankly I wouldn’t blame them.)

I’d rather not get into that much detail but the inspite of all of this, He still wants me to go with him on Christmas to be with his family and that makes me extremely uncomfortable. There is a possibility that his family (particularly his siblings) will NEVER come around. I’m nervous that this encounter is going to be awkward particularly should be involved. Is there a way to navigate this? Any advice would be appreciated.

How long have you been dating? How solid is your relationship? How well do you know his family and how often have you been with them?

He invited you so he's ok with things, no? It doesn't matter what you did, you can't undo it. If you want to go act polite and friendly. If not tell him you have plans with your own family.

He still wants me to go with him on Christmas to be with his family and that makes me extremely uncomfortable. There is a possibility that his family (particularly his siblings) will NEVER come around.

The generic answer is that if he invited you, then he knows his family better than you do and thinks it will be OK.

As for how to behave, just be polite and civil with everyone and keep a low profile. Don't try to befriend, keep your mouth shut if his siblings try to goad you into some kind of conflict. Be the grown up and smile politely and let your bf deal with his family. Basically understand that if you did something bad, then it's your time to display serious humility and mind your manners without fail.

Best way to mend bridges is to show that you are a better person today than what you did in the past and hope that eventually people will come around and see that.

The generic answer is that if he invited you, then he knows his family better than you do and thinks it will be OK.

As for how to behave, just be polite and civil with everyone and keep a low profile. Don't try to befriend, keep your mouth shut if his siblings try to goad you into some kind of conflict. Be the grown up and smile politely and let your bf deal with his family. Basically understand that if you did something bad, then it's your time to display serious humility and mind your manners without fail.

Best way to mend bridges is to show that you are a better person today than what you did in the past and hope that eventually people will come around and see that.

I agree with this.

I don't see another way around this without the opportunity to be in their presence. It may very well be uncomfortable but all you can do is be your best self and give it time.

None of us know you. We can't give solid advice unless we have some idea what it is you did recently. Did you cheat on him? Lie about being pregnant? Take his debit or credit card and use it without him knowing? Or something totally benign like borrow his car and bring it back on empty?

Again, none of us know you so we can't "out" what you did. Care to reveal a bit more?

To some extent, it really does matter what you did. Yes, he knows his family better than yourself or us, but there are some much more objective considerations when it comes to how much you may have hurt someone and inflicted trauma. Your boyfriend's understandably vested interest in you achieving some measure of familiarity or involvement with his family could well be at odds with, say, a sister of his whose face you smashed in or whose father of her children you had an affair with a couple months ago.

Not knowing what you did, to whom, how long ago, whether you've made amends or at least regained tolerance from whichever individuals, or whether you've been assured by your boyfriend that whoever you victimized is comfortable with you around, it's very difficult to extend generalized advice your way. You can deliver information without outing yourself.

I'm sorry they don't like you but all is not lost.

Be courageous and brave. I've often been put in spots like this. My in-laws were ambivalent about me in the beginning and to this day, my SIL (sister-in-law) and I are not buddies.

This is what I've always done: Just act natural, be kind, respectful, gracious, don't be noisy nor loud. Have classy composure. Behave like a well mannered lady. Do this forever. This should be your personality and character. When you make this type of behavior very habitual and consistent, people will come around. They don't know you that well. People need to build trust and trust that you will behave sincerely and nicely. They're observing you and your nonverbal communication, too. They're observing how you treat others, too. Behave honorably and as long as you treat people with dignity and respect, you will earn their respect. Be unobtrusive. Be a good person and treat others with respect. Treat them how you would like to be treated. Don't be overzealous. Just be kindhearted, gentle, tender, soft spoken and poised. Don't be self-conscious and internally be proud of your behavior as you conduct yourself with class. At the same time, remember to remain humble, have humility and integrity. People will be receptive to your gracious behavior. If you want to make a positive impression, always remain gracious.

Another thing, since it's Christmas (or it could be any family gathering in a house), be helpful which will score points for you! Some people just stand around and do nothing. Help! If they need help with set up, help. If the kitchen is a mess, grab a towel, help clean up, dry and put away clean dishes, pots 'n pans, utensils, serving platters, bowls, etc. Be kind and helpful. Do it without anyone having to ask for help.

My mother taught me never to mooch nor take advantage of a host's hospitality. Never sponge off others. Bring a generous, home cooked dish to share for the buffet. Pull your weight. Never act arrogant and let everyone else sweat for you. Jump right in and help. You'll make fast friends this way. Get your boyfriend to help as well. Extra hands makes light work.

If you want to make a good impression and be well-liked carry yourself with aplomb and have class. Treat people right. Do this consistently and habitually always and permanently. You'll gain respect and admiration. Don't expect anything in return. Silence is the sincerest form of flattery or compliments. It will be nice if they said, "Thank you" though. Thank them for including you and for their hospitality. Show class always. Always be on your best behavior.

Ok Ok...💃 she started dancing nude on the living room table screaming "you all suck!".😝 Then ran out the door, kicked the dog🐕 on the way to stealing their car🚗 and crashing it into a convenience store🏧 and telling the cops they "made her" do it.👮🤷

Are you not supposed to do that? No wonder my family doesn't like my partner!

You know whatever it is that you did they didn't like.

Step one: have you apologized? If not do that.

As for whether you should go to Christmas with them, it depends. How long of a commitment is this? If you have to get a on a plane & will be stuck there, don't go. Do send a lovely family group gift like a holiday center piece flower arrangement; a huge box of upscale candy; some kind of food tower from a company like Harry & David. If you chose to attend, get a hotel room near by; do not stay with this people. You may need an escape.

If you can drive there in a reasonable amount of time, go. Show up in your own car. Be gracious & warm & most of all contrite. Leave early & send a hand written thank you note by mail / post the next day to the hosts & to everyone who got you a gift. You should have something for everyone in attendance even if you get them something little (

Speaking only for myself, I view holidays as a feel GOOD time with loved ones rather than a time for running an agenda. Not everything is about ME. So I'd skip causing even more resentment from those who already resent me by avoiding a crash-in on their holiday.

I'd tell BF that I adore him, and he's welcome to come and visit me with my family if he'd like, but I don't view an invitation to anyone else's home something that he's positioned to extend. Should a member of the host household wish to extend an invitation directly to me of their own accord, I will be happy to consider it. Otherwise, let's just enjoy our time together before the holidays for what it is, and let's see whether things shake out in our favor on that day, or not. If not, let's plan our own private celebration at an opportune time on our own.

If BF is not okay with this, I'd question how much respect he has for my feelings--and those of his family. I'd prefer to learn whether our relationship really has legs before putting myself through the hardship of trying to force a fit with his resistant family.

Archived