LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Guy Iím dating asked to meet my son

Guy Iím dating asked to meet my son

I have been dating a guy for about 3 months. Things appear to have been going well. Although itís only been 3 months of dating, heís invited me to an out of state event 7 months into the future. On our last date he said he mentioned twice that he would like to meet my son. Is that a sign of him being serious about a relationship with me?

Have you had the 'exclusive' talk yet?

No we havenít

Pretty much all advice I have read about kids meeting the new bf is wait a year before introducing them. I dont think 3 months is anywhere near long enough.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by mayflower165
    I have been dating a guy for about 3 months. Things appear to have been going well. Although itís only been 3 months of dating, heís invited me to an out of state event 7 months into the future. On our last date he said he mentioned twice that he would like to meet my son. Is that a sign of him being serious about a relationship with me?
    How about you tell him that you would love to introduce your son to him and that after that out of state event in 7 months time sounds like a good time to do it.

His suggestion of meeting your son could be genuine or not.
    But would you really introduce you son to him now? In the hope that you guys might actually still be dating in 7 months time?
    You should never introduce your son to anyone until well after the honeymoon phase which really is 9-12 months.

Is it a sign of him being interested in a serious relationship with you? No!
    He doesnít know you well enough yet. He likely has dated girls for 12 weeks who didnít have kids and relationship failed 6-12 months in!

If he is genuine he will be more interested in getting to know you and have the patience to meet you son later.

Platinum Member
    Why did he say he wants to meet your son? Was it said casually..."Your son sounds like a great kid, I'd like to meet him sometime!" Or was it said more like this..."I think it's time I meet your son"?

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    I would wait.

Originally Posted by boltnrun
    Why did he say he wants to meet your son? Was it said casually..."Your son sounds like a great kid, I'd like to meet him sometime!" Or was it said more like this..."I think it's time I meet your son"?
    This.

You didnít ask us if itís safe or a good idea...you asked us if it means he wants a relationship...

Ignoring the desperation that kinda seems to be disregarding your sons wellbeing... I think we need more info before giving a definitive answer.

Originally Posted by mayflower165
    I think the more pressing question is - does he deserve to meet your son. If you're questioning how serious the relationship is, don't introduce him to your child.

You know this guy better than we do, and we don't know if he just "assumes" you are official. I think he's pretty keen to move things forward but it's up to you how you would like to communicate this with him. More discussion with him is needed.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice