I think she went back to ex, not responding to me

Apollo99

Hi! Looking for advice :) I dated this girl very briefly, only a few months really before I had to move cities for the time being. We had a great time while we were together but it was so short that we didn’t pursue anything LDR. But for the last 8 months or so there’s always been lots of flirting back and forth with fairly frequent texting and some phone calls as well. She knows that in a couple months I’m returning to her city for awhile (possibly permanently) and we were really excited about that.

However, about 3 weeks ago she said that her ex that she dated before me has come around again and even though she “didn’t care all that much” she said he was trying again. Since then, she’s been colder but would still talk to me. But a few days ago we were talking and I was teasing and flirting as usual when she told me to shut up. I asked what’s up and she said “I’m over these games seriously”. I tried again to ask what happened bc I was confused and if something was wrong and it’s now been a few days and she hasn’t responded.

I saw on social media that she changed her photo to one of her and her ex smiling but then removed it shortly after. Honestly if she decides to go back with her ex I’m actually pretty ok with that. But I don’t like leaving things in bad taste. I’m really debating just sending a message saying that I didn’t like how the last conversation ended, especially with people I care about, and that I hope we can still be friends?

On the other hand, idk if I should leave things for a week or two and then send a message? Or should I just leave it completely and maybe wait and see if she texts me back?

I REALLY hate burning bridges and the idea of leaving things this way btw us really bothers me.

Please help ):

Ok, as long as she is "trying things with her exbf", don't chitchat or contact her. She's placing you in the friendzone with that comment. Don't get caught in thier on/off crossfire. Date locally where you are and start fresh if you decide to move there.

about 3 weeks ago she said that her ex that she dated before me has come around again and even though she “didn’t care all that much” she said he was trying again.

I saw on social media that she changed her photo to one of her and her ex smiling but then removed it shortly after.

I’d let it breathe for a bit, meaning just step back rather than carving out a plan of engagement. She’s there, you’re here, and something is clearly going on with her ex, as she told you something was, and posted about it. Whatever the details, it’s not your business and making it your business is going to sully whatever connection you two have while sullying you’re ability to be present in your life right now, where you are.

Take the long view. If she’s getting back with him—well, that likely means the end of your friendship/flirtationship, as those doors need to be closed off, so it’s actually a sign of her having good boundaries if she’s distancing, if not so gracefully. If it’s not going to work out—well, it’s kind of perfect that she rides that rollercoaster while you’re far away, literally and figuratively. If that’s all sorted out in a few months or whatever, you guys can reconnect, see about a genuine friendship or a genuine shot at romance, while remaining engaged while she works through whatever she’s working through will just plant nasty weeds for either of those paths.

It’s tough, I get it. No one likes bad vibes, and no one likes to lose sparkly texts, especially when they’re uprooted in a new city. You can genuinely wish her the best in your head right now, cultivating good vibes, while giving yourself a minute to mourn what for now seems to be an end to the sparkly connection that has been a source of comfort. If and when it is time to engage will be something you’ll know because it’ll feel organic, rather than a chess move, you know?

Take a big step back. This girl was appallingly rude to you. The whole shut up thing .... why would you be willing to deal with a person who will take that kind of a tone with you?

You dated briefly, then you moved away. There is nothing between you really and please do put that in a proper perspective. Then she has something going with her ex and becomes super rude to you and then stops communicating with you.

This is where you find your self respect and the nearest exit out of this mess. Do not contact her ever again. You were her band aid in her break up, nothing else and the moment you weren't needed anymore, she showed you her colors, which aren't pretty.

I don't think she's interested, OP. Be mindful of the chemistry between the both of you and your dynamic. It's a bit skewed to one side. You're more interested in her than she is in you and she's got someone else she's possibly involved with.

There's a high likelihood that approaching her with any text, email, letter, phone call will go south. I think she might have used you as a rebound unfortunately. You'll appear clingy and your advances are really unwanted at this point. I'm sorry it all worked out this way but it may be a blessing in disguise.

1) you will be able to focus on whether a move is good for you at all (you should evaluate whether this is in your best interests)

2) you're more free to think about what should be your next move in terms of your schooling or career

Some bridges, as you know, are so rickety or full of mites, they're best burned. Rebuild your own and cross only if you think it benefits you in the first place.

Egad just let it go. You can plainly see she is giving her ex a second chance, which a lot of people do. Sending a message or anything is futile because all you were doing was chatting, there was no commitment. And btw for all you know, that was her ex sending you that text to snuff out any competition.

Look at it like this buddy , she is either ignoring you because she got back with her ex or she is ignoring you because she doesn't feel it anymore ....either side of the bed you are still going to be the one rolling off the end .

While I am a great believer of treat people how you expect to be treat , she has already set the precedence for that routine . You aint going to be friends whatever her deal is , so don't put yourself out there to be snubbed and rejected any further . Head high .

So you don’t think there’s any reason to even sent a follow-up text, seeing if everything is alright? You would completely leave it?

No, not really.

It sounds as though the last communication was from you, asking her what was going on. Therefore, the onus is on her now to respond. I have to wonder if she manufactured this tiff between you to give herself a "reason" not to talk to you, and focus on her ex instead. This sounds a bit convoluted, I realize, but sometimes people who have trouble being honest will construct an exit door that allows them to dodge accountability.

I know it sucks because you didn't expect such a sharp turnaround. However, you can be sure she's testing things out with her ex again. That much is obvious. I would not hold your breath for this girl.

You can passively tiptoe out of this triangle. That means you don't have to block, delete etc, if you don't want to but you can actively stop contacting her and stop the chitchat. It sounds like you want to see what happens if you move back there. Ok. But date others and don't try to win anything here.

So you don’t think there’s any reason to even sent a follow-up text, seeing if everything is alright? You would completely leave it?

1. shut up

2. I'm tired of these games seriously

3. no response

I'm sorry she was so rude but when someone acts this rude, the best thing you can do is ignore them right back. your intentions are good, hers are clearly not.

it's very disrespectful of her and really, who does she think she is?

I'd be seriously pissed. And if she did contact me if send the old "who dis?" text and then call her on her rudeness.

get your head outta ya butt!

Look at it like this buddy , she is either ignoring you because she got back with her ex or she is ignoring you because she doesn't feel it anymore ....either side of the bed you are still going to be the one rolling off the end .

While I am a great believer of treat people how you expect to be treat , she has already set the precedence for that routine . You aint going to be friends whatever her deal is , so don't put yourself out there to be snubbed and rejected any further . Head high .

I think pippy said it best, either scenario leaves you hurt.

There doesn’t seem to be any good outcome here, at least not right now.

Leave things be. If she comes to you, then decide.

In fairness to her , there was no obligation to keep in touch , you both decided to not pursue a relationship.

What in your mind was the point of flirting for so many months?

It sounds to me like she enjoyed the ego boost but once you said you were returning she felt the need to put a stop to it, because while she was ok with the long distance ego boost she was not intersted in anything locally or physically.

"I saw on social media that she changed her photo to one of her and her ex smiling but then removed it shortly after."

^^^ This, OP, is a red flag, and it tells you what going on in her mind. So what if she removed it. You saw it and the damage was done. She is very rude and disrespectful towards you. Don't put up with that, please. Have some self-respect and move on. I know it's easier said than done, but you'll be saving yourself some heartache.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I decided to leave it alone, it’s been about week now. Her behaviour was extremely rude and uncalled for and I didn’t deserve that.

Some of you have said she’s gone back to the ex and while you are probably right, she just recently posted a screenshot of her on a dating app so who knows really what happened there.

Friends of mine have said that she’s definitely going to message me again when I return, bc none of them think it will last. But I don’t think it’s a good idea to respond, it’ll just be more games and bs.

If I can be honest, it hard for me to commit to the block and delete at this point, and so I haven’t done that yet. However her true colours have been shown now... and my opinion of her has changed.

I’m still planning on returning, however she’s not in my plans anymore. Maybe down the road I’ll block her and delete.

It’s just very unfortunate is all. But at least I know that I really didn’t do anything wrong and deserve better. I’m also certain that the off and on again ex will fizzle and I don’t want to be the guy she runs to when it eventually goes south

Archived