Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How to get out of being a bridesmaid?

Platinum Member
    just remember if she throws a fit: Not my circus; not my monkeys

But she might not

I've been a bridesmaid several times. I honestly regretted every one, because frankly to me it's more fun to wear a nice black sexy cocktail dress instead of paying $$$ for a dress I'll never wear again and that I inevitably hated. Also....it's more fun to attend a wedding, bring a gift, dress cute, and just eat/drink/dance and have fun celebrating a friend or family member.

You can still change your mind and there are many great comments/opinions here on how to do this. "I'm sorry, but I cannot be one of your bridesmaids. It's not my style, I don't have a lot of free time for the extra bridal activities, and I really just want to come to your wedding to celebrate your marriage and enjoy the happy occasion. I wanted to give you time to choose another BM. You're so kind to ask me, thank you for that. I'm very happy for you and looking forward to celebrating with you!"

I'm not the best with words. . . . . and I'm sure other posters have a better "speech" but the key is. . . . this is your life and your free time and life goes by quickly and you won't get the time back. Be very careful in how you use your free time......so have that in mind when you (if you) let her know you cannot be a BM. The key is to be firm and resolute and if she gets icky/dramatic about it. . . that is not your problem it's hers. (someone else said that. . . not being a copy cat). You don't owe anyone....to be their BM and at their beck and call.

As abitbroken said (above) if she throws a fit, not your circus, not your monkeys. Period.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Give Advice
Ask For Advice