Open Club  ·  86 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Diabetic sugar free foods

Seraphim

There are some here in Ontario that I've found but not many:

Mrs. Butterworth's no sugar added pancake syrup.

Chapman's no sugar added, lactose free ice cream.

Voortman's cookies (some flavors).

I have found no foods that aren't "treats" to be sugar free.

Otherwise I just check the label. The diabetic clinic said try for foods that are low in sugar under 5 grams but defo in the single digits and pay attention to portion recommendations. Whole, fresh foods are best so avoid processed foods whenever you can and check for sugar and carb content when you do purchase them.

There are some here in Ontario that I've found but not many:

Mrs. Butterworth's no sugar added pancake syrup.

Chapman's no sugar added, lactose free ice cream.

Voortman's cookies (some flavors).

I have found no foods that aren't "treats" to be sugar free.

Otherwise I just check the label. The diabetic clinic said try for foods that are low in sugar under 5 grams but defo in the single digits and pay attention to portion recommendations. Whole, fresh foods are best so avoid processed foods whenever you can and check for sugar and carb content when you do purchase them.

I am looking for sugar free hot chocolate . :(

Adding: If not, you can always make your own. Just buy splenda sweetener and coco add to your hot milk,

Google Diabetic Recipes and Splenda Recipes and you'll find all kinds of great things made with splenda if you are looking for a "sweet" treat and more savory delights as well when googling Diabetic Recipes. :D

If you look up Diabetes Canada you will get lots of advice.

Adding: If not, you can always make your own. Just buy splenda sweetener and coco add to your hot milk,

Google Diabetic Recipes and Splenda Recipes and you'll find all kinds of great things made with splenda if you are looking for a "sweet" treat and more savory delights as well when googling Diabetic Recipes. :D

If you look up Diabetes Canada you will get lots of advice.

I stevia because I don’t like the taste of Splenda.

I found this sugar free hot chocolate mix that you can make yourself and store in an air tight container if you can't find a ready made version by Carnation of Swiss Miss...

Ingredients

1 cup cocoa powder (I used a mix of dark and standard)

1 1/4 cup sugar free granulated sweetener of choice (I used a monk fruit sweetener)

1 tsp sea salt

1/4 cup powdered creamer or powdered milk of choice (keto or paleo- use powdered coconut milk)

To make 1 cup of cocoa:*

2 T hot chocolate mix

2 T boiling water

3/4 cup milk of choice, heated

To make the mix

Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir until combined. Transfer to a jar or airtight container.

To make a single cup of cocoa/hot chocolate

Add 2 tablespoons of dry mix (non creamer/milk version) to a large mug or cup. Add hot water and mix until completely dissolved. Add heated milk of choice and mix very well. Top with optional whipped topping and enjoy!

Notes

* If you use the version with powdered milk or creamer, use 3/4 cup warm milk instead.

Sugar free hot chocolate cocoa mix needs to be stored in an airtight container.

Oh they're in abundance here. If I were diabetic, I'd be thankful for them (obviously am insofar as diabetics have good variety to pick from), but the artificial sweeteners tend to have a thicker texture to them that my borderline OCD'ness can't stand. Not sure if you're an Amazon shopper or not, but a lot of products would probably be more forgiving when it comes to shipping to Canada.

Anything you're looking for specifically?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm a little late to this party, but as a type 1 diabetic, I can tell you that almost everything that says 'sugar free' is bad for diabetics. It doesn't always mean 'carb' free.

I make hot chocolate every night with cocoa powder, stevia and Land O Lakes sugar free whipped cream. The whipped cream has zero carbs.

Ok, I'm a little late to this party, but as a type 1 diabetic, I can tell you that almost everything that says 'sugar free' is bad for diabetics. It doesn't always mean 'carb' free.

I make hot chocolate every night with cocoa powder, stevia and Land O Lakes sugar free whipped cream. The whipped cream has zero carbs.

I know about the carbs too. ;)

Land O Lakes is not a brand ever seen here. Whip cream I don’t much care about. I could try cocoa powder and Stevia but it sounds like it would might make me gag. It sounds really bitter and thick.

Land O Lakes is not a brand ever seen here. Whip cream I don’t much care about. I could try cocoa powder and Stevia but it sounds like it would might make me gag. It sounds really bitter and thick.

Raw cocoa powder is not bitter at all. It is in fact mild and pleasant and flavorful. Mix it with hot milk, add a little vanilla extract and you have your drink sugar free. You might be surprised that you don't actually need to add any sweetener at all.

Oh just one important note on that - if you are taking blood pressure meds or have high blood pressure, raw cocoa powder will drop your blood pressure by up to 40%, so beware of an over medicating effect. Raw cocoa is quite potent like that and yes, there actual scientific study done on this with those results found to be consistent.

Raw cocoa powder is not bitter at all. It is in fact mild and pleasant and flavorful. Mix it with hot milk, add a little vanilla extract and you have your drink sugar free. You might be surprised that you don't actually need to add any sweetener at all.

Oh just one important note on that - if you are taking blood pressure meds or have high blood pressure, raw cocoa powder will drop your blood pressure by up to 40%, so beware of an over medicating effect. Raw cocoa is quite potent like that and yes, there actual scientific study done on this with those results found to be consistent.

Yup , I am on two blood pressure meds. So I guess that is out. :(

US has a lot of sugar-free diet products here, more than Canada...maybe because of demand? Also, saccharin (Sweet n Low) has been banned in Canada for a long time but we still have it here in the US. Be careful to always look at the label before you buy anything because sugar alcohols, while they contain no sugar, can give you diarrhea if you consume too much.

I am not diabetic but I've found that I really like Splenda in things (I also can cook/bake with it) and I make things at home a lot to reduce the sugar as well. Stevia isn't bad either - I just prefer Splenda in my coffee, not sure why!

US has a lot of sugar-free diet products here, more than Canada...maybe because of demand? Also, saccharin (Sweet n Low) has been banned in Canada for a long time but we still have it here in the US. Be careful to always look at the label before you buy anything because sugar alcohols, while they contain no sugar, can give you diarrhea if you consume too much.

I am not diabetic but I've found that I really like Splenda in things (I also can cook/bake with it) and I make things at home a lot to reduce the sugar as well. Stevia isn't bad either - I just prefer Splenda in my coffee, not sure why!

I like Stevia it isn’t bad!

Agave syrup can be good too - especially in some recipes where stevia/splenda may not work well, just be sure to watch the carbs.

I don’t bake or eat a lot of baked goods anyway so that is a plus. For me it is the carbs. I am more of a bread ,potato chips that kind of girl. So I haven’t been eating any bread at all I’ll have potato maybe once a week and I haven’t had a chip since I found out. I think I am down 7 pounds.

Archived