LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The most unprofessional thing I have done

but I will typing that email.
    I agree that in person is much better but if you are like most young people today, you'll be mortified to have to actually face someone to communicate so if you're going to write an apology do it in writing and put it in an envelope marked "personal and confidential" so that his secretary (if he has one) doesn't open it for him.

Platinum Member
    Excellent point. So your story made me think about a post I edited in one of my Facebook groups. About a friend experiencing a tragic situation for her son (child is ok!). I was sharing it with good intentions and realized that the details were specific enough that even without names if was possible in the small world we live in someone possibly could figure out the identity. So I modified my post to read ďmy friend who is experiencing a difficult situation involving her child although the child is okĒ. That was totally safe under the circumstances. I always have this mindset when I post. No matter how remote the chances are it has to pass the test of either being no chance ever or if there is any chance Iím revealing no secrets and Iím not gossiping. Always. Often I choose to post nothing at all as the safest course.

Last year I got an FB message from a new friend who pointed out there she realized one of my friends from another city almost 1,000 miles away was the new wife of her sisterís ex husband (and yes theyíd dated before the divorce was final ). I havenít told my friend - the new wife. But it shows you that the world is teeny tiny. Be more careful out there especially with work related info.

I would write an email to your boss, ask him to forward your email to his wife AND apologize sincerely and remorsefully IN PERSON on Monday. Get it over and done with.

I've noticed that most people are a forgiving lot if you lower yourself, become extremely humble and express how sorry you are. Ask your boss to convey your apologetic message to his wife, too. And then thank him. Do the right thing. When you show honor, respect and human decency, people will come around eventually.

Try not to be so hard on yourself. Don't beat yourself up over this. This too shall pass.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Cherylyn
    I would write an email to your boss, ask him to forward your email to his wife AND apologize sincerely and remorsefully IN PERSON on Monday. Get it over and done with.
    This. There needs to be an in-person apology, OP.

That's all you can really do at this point.

Platinum Member
    Do not apologise!!!

By apologising you are admitting fault.
    What did you do wrong? Nothing!!
    Your job description does not have a confidentiality agreement about office gossip.

It perhaps does re clients etc but you did not cross that boundary.

Even IF your story said that your bosses wife was the wedding planner and thereby revealed the identity of the person in the story, it was NOT you that breached confidentiality. Your bosses wife did!

I work in the medical field and I have posted things online about cases I have come across etc , I do have to of course adhere to confidentiality in my contract , professionally and ethically.
    As long as I do not reveal the identity of my patients , then it it very ok!!!

This is an issue to be solved between your boss and his wife. Taking the post down is courteous to him but wasnít required or necessary from your standing.

Go to work on Monday as usual.
    If your boss confronts you on the issue , ask him to show you where in your contract does it say not to post anything online that is not work related but office gossip?

Platinum Member
    Yes. She shared information publicly on social media that was shared with her in a small group setting. And shared it in a group that involved just the sort of people -brides -that this woman talked about -she shared a story for her own benefit -to get the attention, the "likes" or whatever - not because she wanted to help this poor bride or the wife's business.- and it was information about her boss's wife's clients - it doesn't matter if there was any "confidentiality" agreement at work -it's just common sense not to share that kind of information in that kind of way. Sure, if she'd told her mother and for some crazy reason the mom told one other person who knew the bride, ok - it's innocent - but she knew that this was her boss's wife's business -her livelihood -maybe the wife shouldn't be sharing stories but as she wrote all of them are so so close. And with that comes the responsibility of discretion.

Do not over-apologize. It's makes things worse. You took corrective action. Apologize privately in person at work. Do not send more emails. or tell him to forward anything to his wife. Apologizing repeatedly doesn't make it more sincere in fact it just becomes annoying and obsequious.
    Originally Posted by viv19
    Thank you all, venting sure helped. Dreading going back to work on Monday, but I will typing that email. There's no excuse for my dumb actions and I also hope she has no repercussions.

Originally Posted by Batya33
    Yes. She shared information publicly on social media that was shared with her in a small group setting. And shared it in a group that involved just the sort of people -brides -that this woman talked about -she shared a story for her own benefit -to get the attention, the "likes" or whatever - not because she wanted to help this poor bride or the wife's business.- and it was information about her boss's wife's clients - it doesn't matter if there was any "confidentiality" agreement at work -it's just common sense not to share that kind of information in that kind of way. Sure, if she'd told her mother and for some crazy reason the mom told one other person who knew the bride, ok - it's innocent - but she knew that this was her boss's wife's business -her livelihood -maybe the wife shouldn't be sharing stories but as she wrote all of them are so so close. And with that comes the responsibility of discretion.
    Agree 100%. This is not about the legality of what happened. As Batya said, it is about common sense and decency.

It doesn't mean OP is a horrible person. Far from it. The inconsiderate things I've done when I was young is a long, long list to be sure. But I've grown from it. OP will too.

ETA: Though it is true that it was a poor choice of her boss to share that information as well. Moreso since that is his wife's business. I wonder if he apologized to his wife for this.

Billie - Are you saying that if I were your patient, and I had some rare disease, you would tell everyone about it, "as long as you don't use my name"? In other words, you'd post my race, age, how many kids I have etc - so in other words people could figure out who you were talking about? And that's seriously ok with you?

That's very concerning to me.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by LC8328
    Billie - Are you saying that if I were your patient, and I had some rare disease, you would tell everyone about it, "as long as you don't use my name"? In other words, you'd post my race, age, how many kids I have etc - so in other words people could figure out who you were talking about? And that's seriously ok with you?

That's very concerning to me.
    Confidentiality is about keeping anonymity.
    That means I would exclude race , age, gender etc in order to protect oneís anonymity, itís much more than using a fake name!
    Nothing to be concerned about at all.

Itís about education only.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice