LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The most unprofessional thing I have done

The most unprofessional thing I have done

I want to start of my saying that I LOVE my job. I'm the youngest in ny department but have been trusted with the biggest projects and not only that- my boss is a truly awesome guy. Actually, everyone in the department is and we have become more friends than just coworkers. We all go to the same gym, have cookouts, go to bars every once in a while and even managed to have our 60 year old general manager lady to join in. Working is not only financially rewarding, but fun.
    So, as we have all worked together for a while now sometimes we share personal stories and such. So, my boss' wife is a wedding planner and she is very well known around the city. A couple of weeks ago my boss shared with us a story about a client of hers who was left at the altar. It was a pretty schocking story, btw. Anyway, so I'm in a facebook group for brides (since I got married only about 3-4 months ago) and there was a thread about the worst bridal stories you've heard. I quickly type the story about the wedding my boss' wife worked in and forget about it. A couple of hours later I have about a hundred missed calls from my boss telling me both his wife and the bride are in that group and that his wife was very upset and to please take the post down. I did. I'm so ashamed! I don't have either my boss or his wife on facebook and I don't even know the people in the story so the thought of any of them seeing that never even crossed my mind. Last text from my boss was that he hopes his wife doesn't lose her job over this.
    I'm so sorry and already apologized but of course it is not enough. I know there's nothing I can do about it now, just wanted to vent :(

You took it down and apologized all you can do. However completely reset all your social media and make sure you are careful about content. Reset the privacy settings and divide people into groups. Family, friends, interests groups, etc.

Severely restrict who can see your content and better yet don't post too much personal stuff on there. Make sure only certain people can see certain things. In fact it would be best to completely clean up your social media and delete dead weight. Consider messaging people one-on-one if there is sensitive info.
    Originally Posted by viv19
    A couple of hours later I have about a hundred missed calls from my boss telling me both his wife and the bride are in that group and that his wife was very upset and to please take the post down. I did. Last text from my boss was that he hopes his wife doesn't lose her job over this.

I would write a heartfelt, humble, sincere apologetic letter to your boss with pen and paper or send an email it to him and ask him to forward it to his wife. Write that you didn't exercise discretion and express your remorse to both of them. Show utmost humility. Over time, hopefully, they'll grow to forgive you. Forgive doesn't mean condone nor forget. Forgive means to move on without holding grudges and ill will.

Be more careful from now on. Think first and err on the side of caution by not doing it. You'll thank yourself later. Think first and exercise self control. Live and learn.

Platinum Member
    If in doubt , I live by this rule ...* never tell a story that is not mine to tell *

Platinum Member
    Hope the venting helped you. I agree with Cheryln and pray that his wife won't have repercussions to her business from what you did.

Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    You took it down and apologized all you can do. However completely reset all your social media and make sure you are careful about content. Reset the privacy settings and divide people into groups. Family, friends, interests groups, etc.

Severely restrict who can see your content and better yet don't post too much personal stuff on there. Make sure only certain people can see certain things. In fact it would be best to completely clean up your social media and delete dead weight. Consider messaging people one-on-one if there is sensitive info.
    Originally Posted by Batya33
    Hope the venting helped you. I agree with Cheryln and pray that his wife won't have repercussions to her business from what you did.
    Thanks, Batya33.

I suppose your boss is going to get in trouble with his wife for retelling the story. Had he not disclosed it, none of this would have happened. That being said, I think the hand written apology is a good idea and so is Pippy's "never tell a story that isn't mine to tell."

Good luck... hopefully in time it will all blow over and you'll be no worse for wear.

Thank you all, venting sure helped. Dreading going back to work on Monday, but I will typing that email. There's no excuse for my dumb actions and I also hope she has no repercussions.

Let us know how you make out, luv.

I don't know what an email is going to do at this point. It was the written word that got you into hot soup in the first place. Do you really think your boss wants to read more words written by you even if it's with the best of intentions? I think you would do better keeping your emails to a minimum ( do not send an email) and when you see him in person ask him if he has a moment to talk and tell him in person how mortified and sorry you are. Emails are cheap. Do it in person.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice