Please help with my career decision.

AshleyTr

Hi guys,

This is not a relationship or dating question

I’m kindly ask you for advice because it’s been 6 months deciding which path should I take and as of today I’m still undecided. Giving me your advice would be a big help.

So I just recently graduated last May and I’m now working at a job which I don’t really like. The benefit really doesn’t outweigh the cost and I’m not having a work life balance because we are leaving the office at 12am and have to get back by 7am. What is worse is we are not being paid well. So I’m definitely leaving my job this month.

My mom just told me that it’s better to learn something new and not just to work 24/7. She told me that she will let me decide whether to take law and stay in my country or to pursue a master’s degree abroad and I should make my decision by December

I’m actually having a hard time which path I should take because every option has its pros and cons. I’m actually deciding whether to find a job opportunity abroad or to stay in my country and work here while studying law. The reason why I wanted to go abroad is because I feel more free when I’m with the people who are different. I would feel less judgement because some people really woudn’t understand why you’re doing something unlike when you are in your country where you have the same belief with others and you are more likely to be judged. It’s like siblings with the different gender are less likely to fight compared to the same gender. You understand? Also, it’s because working there could give me more cash inflow. Getting International currency because of my job could give me more cash if translated to my country which I could possibly give more to my parents and I will pursue a master’s degree there. The things that I didn’t like about this is that I would be separated from my family especially my parents. They mean so much to me especially my mom and going abroad will left me thinking and wondering how they are. They are already on their 60’s and I should do my best to be always there for them right? I dunno and I would not be able to do that If I would go abroad.

On the other hand, If I chose to stay here and pursue law while working. A good advantage for that is that I’m also going to become a lawyer which both of my parents are. It’s nice because I was primed by myself, my friends, relatives that in the future I’m going to be a lawyer. And staying here and working means that I will be there with my family to be there for them. Of course I know what it feels if you are already a parent and your son is not with you side right? specially if you’re a senior. But the disadvantage is that, I would not be able to help them financially because every employees here in our country is very very low and if you’re lucky you could make a good living for yourself only especially if you’re just a startup. Also, taking passing the bar exam is less likely to happen because of the small amount of passing rate around 17%. Getting a Master’s degree abroad is more doable.

My brother actually told me that the first one is the better option but my friends told me the the second option is better

What do you guys think? if you are in my shoes, which path should you take?

Always have an up to date resume on hand. Always update your LinkedIn profile to reflect education and experience. Upload you contact list and start making 'connections". Additionally seek out former professors, alumni and former coworkers.

As far as post grad education, decide what you want, perhaps volunteer in one of those professions to try it on. Also consider what you can afford and of course what truly interests you. Make your own decisions and make sure they are career and not personal based decisions (family, friends, relationships, etc).

Thanks for that sir I appreciate it but the problem is that I'm interested in both choices. I'm also afraid If I pursued a choices I might regret of not having the benefits of the other. Of both choices is ok for me, which do you think is better? Because I'm not going to post here if I'm definitely sure with my answer right?

If you're going to make more money, go abroad. You will have money to visit your parents, and there are always phone calls/e-mails, etc. They won't need your help in their elderly years for probably another 20 years. At that time, you could decide if they should move by you or whatever the best options are.

There are no rules for being tethered by short distances to parents. Hopefully they raised you to be independent and to make your own way in this world by choosing your own path. I was a Navy wife and moved all the time, not living by my parents for 30 years. When they started wanting my help in their elderly years, they moved by me, because I was not willing to move across the country where they live.

It's okay to make decisions that are best for yourself and you shouldn't worry about other's judging you for those decisions. It's your life, and other's opinions are irrelevant. You don't choose someone else's life path for them, so why should they get to choose yours?

Even if you make more money in a different country, it may be used up paying for the cost of living if it's very high. You don't have a job yet or one lined up in the other country. If you're going purely by exchange rate, I'd look a bit more closely at the cost of things in that country and what it takes to live on before making the broad generalization that you'll have much of extra anything leftover to send back home.

Go back to square one. By this time you should know your own strengths and weaknesses and what you think of yourself and your future. Masters degrees don't do much these days. If your undergraduate degree is a basic business or arts degree and you plan to do your Masters in business or the arts, I'm not sure what your options are except to tenure as a professor. You know your job outlook best or if you don't, do more research into it. I wouldn't pursue a Masters just because it's academically easier, so to speak.

You likely have the next 5-10 years to pursue what you need to do for your post-graduate schooling and establishing yourself before your parents might need more from you in terms of help and care in their old age. With their careers as lawyers, they probably have adequate savings/insurance and are able to employ the correct medical care if required also. You're getting a bit too anxious over problems that don't exist. This is limiting you and you're getting confused.

Take some time and think about it since you have until December. Do more looking into going abroad and what it costs overall as you might not have enough savings in the end or enough to send back as you originally planned. I'd re-evaluate the idea of a Masters if it's not in a field where there's enough opportunities in the long run.

If it's a family decision it's best to discuss it with them. Strangers can't decide a life-choice for you that involves all these family considerations.

Getting International currency because of my job could give me more cash if translated to my country which I could possibly give more to my parents and I will pursue a master’s degree there. The things that I didn’t like about this is that I would be separated from my family especially my parents.

They mean so much to me especially my mom and going abroad will left me thinking and wondering how they are. They are already on their 60’s and I should do my best to be always there for them right? A good advantage for that is that I’m also going to become a lawyer which both of my parents are. It’s nice because I was primed by myself, my friends, relatives that in the future I’m going to be a lawyer.

Which option will give you best career and financial opportunities and be sure you really research that and don't just assume or go by hearsay. Talk to the people in the profession and hear it first hand what's happening where the profession is going, is it over saturated, etc. Degrees don't pay bills and you need to think further ahead than just immediate few years while you study.

The reason why I wanted to go abroad is because I feel more free when I’m with the people who are different.

Getting International currency because of my job could give me more cash if translated to my country which I could possibly give more to my parents and I will pursue a master’s degree there. Getting a Master’s degree abroad is more doable.

On the other hand, If I chose to stay here...the disadvantage is that, I would not be able to help them financially because every employees here in our country is very very low and if you’re lucky you could make a good living for yourself only especially if you’re just a startup. Also, taking passing the bar exam is less likely to happen because of the small amount of passing rate around 17%.

You already answered it yourself - think long term big picture.

And the siblings remark, I know tons of same sex siblings that get on like gang busters - no issues - best friends.

Archived