Tired of life and waking up everyday

iwishiknew

Anyone else tired of life like me? I'm tired of life and waking up everyday. There are times I don't want to get out of bed, I just want to sleep and have a beautiful dream and never wake up. I do eventually get out of bed and go on with my day, which isn't always easy. I always ask myself, why did God put me on this Earth if I can't succeed in life and always failing?

A few weeks ago I was let go from my job, it was a temp to hire position but they told me there are no more hours available. I was really bummed out and heart broken, I actually cried in my car asking myself "Why me?" "Why do I have bad luck in life?" I was there for almost 2 yrs and I thought I'd be hired full-time, but I was wrong. I still kept my retail job I had before, which I do work a few days a week, but I hate that job so much. I been with that company for 7 yrs and there's no opportunities at all and I make less than $10 hr. I can't stand working in retail and dealing with mean disrespectful customers everyday. Now I need to find another job, which I don't have that much motivation at all. I've never had any luck in the job market. It puts me down that I never had a real job since finishing college in 2002. I never had a job with benefits or a decent living wage pay. Living life is so expensive and being old and never having a good job doesn't give me a lot of motivation. At my old age and as I get older, it will be so difficult for me to get a decent job, because of age discrimination and not having a lot decent experience.

I feel like that I'm a big loser and haven't accomplished anything at all in life. I've still never had a gf or kissed a girl. I've been through a lot in my life and it wasn't always pleasant. I just moved out of my parents place because of the negative environment. I can't afford rent, rent in my area is so $$$$. Now I'm living in my friend's storage facility, which is a lot better than living at home. .

I don't know now what to do with my life. I've been job searching but nothing yet interests me. I love nature and national parks and camp grounds. I still do my workouts at the parks and forest preserve. Being out in nature, forest preserves, national parks puts a smile on my face and makes me feel happy and I feel like a new person. I plan on buying a van and converting it to a full camper van and living the van life and living a nomadic life style. Living life on the road, seeing new scenery, being able to be free, happy, traveling, meeting new people, and seeing the beautiful states and country roads. The only downside is income, what will I do for work?

Does anyone here live a nomadic lifestyle and living life on the road?

I love nature and national parks and camp grounds. I still do my workouts at the parks and forest preserve. Being out in nature, forest preserves, national parks puts a smile on my face and makes me feel happy and I feel like a new person. I plan on buying a van and converting it to a full camper van and living the van life and living a nomadic life style. Living life on the road, seeing new scenery, being able to be free, happy, traveling, meeting new people, and seeing the beautiful states and country roads. The only downside is income, what will I do for work?

Does anyone here live a nomadic lifestyle and living life on the road?

I don't live a nomadic lifestyle, but after reading your post, I was surprised (enlightened) to read the last paragraph! I think it speaks volumes that you have a love of nature and the outdoors. Turn that into energy, you will find a way to support yourself doing what you love.

You have the fire inside you... run with it!

At 41 you are not old! I'd love to be 41 again. I have a sort of nomadic friend who is an artist and musician. He works enough during the summer to make enough money to spend the winter in Mexico. I'd love to do that, but at present I cant. I envy his lifestyle.

If you like nature and outdoor things, then you need to work towards doing that for a living. Maybe you need some education for that first. Career counseling can help you. Learn to be a forest ranger or work in the maintenance of the forest.

You know, I am going to go again the grain here and say...you want to live a nomadic lifestyle? Do it. The way I see it, you're already feeling at rock bottom in some ways. You're living in a storage unit and you lost your job. But you also have a car and you love the outdoors and you're sick of life being the way it is. Well, 41 is young, go out and try it. You're able bodied and you have a decent head on your shoulders, just do it.

You don't even need a full scale van. I have an old, gas efficient hatchback and yes, it can be converted into a sleeper car if I want to. You can maybe get a used car and refit it to your needs. Reddit has some subs dedicated to van and car living to give you some ideas.

For jobs, if you're nomadic, you may need to do non traditional or transient work. Cleaning, gigs from Craigslist, etc. You'll probably get paid under the table in cash. A job like this would allow you to come and go. If you're really in need, you can always sell some plasma at a legal plasma center. They are always looking for donors who are relatively healthy and who aren't on crack or heroin.

I've daydreamed at times of being able to just pack up and go in my car, go far away for a month or more. I love to drive and I too love nature.

Since you love nature so much, research how to become a forest ranger which may be a perfect fit for you. Or, a tour guide or some type of outdoorsy occupation. With some jobs, one job leads to another and you learn info from other people within the same industries or circles you'll run with.

At age 41, you're not ready for the rocking chair yet. There are many opportunities for you once you stop your pity pot. Instead of wallowing in your misery, do something about it and take action to improve your life. Start researching and investigating different avenues regarding your career choices.

Agree that you need to find a job that allows you to spend more time in nature. It's not the season but what about a landscaper in the short term to get you some cash flow.

As a contract worker are you entitled to any unemployment? They often have job training & placement services if you are eligible.

Have you gone back to your university & sought job placement help from them?

If you really want the nomadic life style, perhaps get used to picking up odd short term jobs here & there.

1. If you are offered a good job in your field (good position, advancement, high salary) and a low paying entry level outdoor job requiring manual labor, which would you choose?

Do you shun material goods like owning a house and having a high salary, and want to give that up to live in nature? Or are you feeling stressed from the struggle to obtain those material goods, feeling you're out of options and looking for a way to escape to nature? Either is fine, you just need to be clear. Because if you are just escaping you will be unhappy, you'll feel even more sorry for yourself living out of a van. If you can be rich but you choose to live in a van then you'll have a pretty good time living that way.

2. If you are really giving up on having a career in your chosen field, because you didn't "make it", well, it happens to a lot of people. You only need to make peace with that and say hey I really tried, or I didn't try hard enough and missed the boat. Whatever it was, that's the past. Make that mental turning point then you're ready to do something else.

3. You are college educated, don't forget. You DO have skills, including English language skills, basic analytical skills. There are opportunities overseas. Move to a cheaper location. You can even start an internet business. Be flexible and resourceful. Even living a nomadic life or in a forest, requires you to be resourceful. So start thinking outside the box.

1. If you are offered a good job in your field (good position, advancement, high salary) and a low paying entry level outdoor job requiring manual labor, which would you choose?

Do you shun material goods like owning a house and having a high salary, and want to give that up to live in nature? Or are you feeling stressed from the struggle to obtain those material goods, feeling you're out of options and looking for a way to escape to nature? Either is fine, you just need to be clear. Because if you are just escaping you will be unhappy, you'll feel even more sorry for yourself living out of a van. If you can be rich but you choose to live in a van then you'll have a pretty good time living that way.

This a great post, take heed!

You love nature, it inspires you. You are already ahead of the pack. As some people have suggested, look in to re-education and / or finding a job or volunteer position in nature setting.

You would also get a reference from your recent employer right? That would make finding the new job easier. 41 is not old. I am older than that and still plodding along.

If you travel, you could do odd jobs, such as kitchen hand or bar work. Cleaning, or maybe gardening? You could get some business cards printed with your contact details on (surely you'd take mobile phone in van?), or better yet, get a decal printed on your new van with you phone number etc.

Archived