Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why would my friend accepted her ex’s friend request?

Why would my friend accepted her ex’s friend request?

She was ditched by him like an old towel with no explanation whatsoever, and he’s waltzed back into her life saying sorry and telling her he still loves her.

She’s accepted his friend request and I just don’t know what to do about it.

She knows better than anyone what he’s capable of doing to her again and what that would put her through.

Why do you need to do anything about it?

I certainly get that it's frustrating to watch friends make choices that seem at odds with their overall goals and values, but it's a thing we humans do, and do plenty of, sometimes slipping on the same banana peel a few times in order to learn just how slippery it is. At the end of the day it's her life, not yours. Have faith that she'll figure out what works for her, in whatever way works. That's kind of the ultimate gift we give those we call friends, at least in my opinion.

Originally Posted by bluecastle
    Why do you need to do anything about it?

I certainly get that it's frustrating to watch friends make choices that seem at odds with their overall goals and values, but it's a thing we humans do, and do plenty of, sometimes slipping on the same banana peel a few times in order to learn just how slippery it is. At the end of the day it's her life, not yours. Have faith that she'll figure out what works for her, in whatever way works. That's kind of the ultimate gift we give those we call friends, at least in my opinion.
    What you say is true, but having seen her go through years of pain after he did it... it’s hard to believe she doesn’t realise what he’s capable of doing and putting her through again.

I respect that it’s her life, but she’s my best friend and it would really hurt me to see her go through it again because of last time...

I really hate to say it, but part of me thinks she still might have a thing for him(?)

Are you interested in dating her? She seems very keen on reconciliation.

Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    Are you interested in dating her? She seems very keen on reconciliation.
    Is it that obvious she’s “very keen”. And what kind of reconciliation would that be do you think?

No, she’s my best friend and that’s it. I care so much about her.

What you can do is be honest with her but make sure she knows that as her friend you will support her no matter what she decides to do.

Why do you have to do anything? This really is none of your business.

Just draw a few boundaries and distance yourself emotionally from all that. It's her life so don't try to control it or forcefully tell her what to do. She has to come to decision on her own on what's best for her.

Platinum Member
    You don't need to do anything about it. This is between her and him.

Unless she asks for you opinion, I wouldn't offer one. I don't see how this affects you personally, so I wouldn't stress it.

I have been told my other friends that I shouldn’t worry, that it’s “just a friend request”.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice