Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My boyfriend's mother drives me insane

I'm sorry, OP, but it's her house, she can do as she pleases. YOU need to respect that. She is saving you and your boyfriend loads of money.

And all the other things you described, it might be annoying, but she's a mother, and it's petty more so than anything but not bad.
    You have no idea how bad mother in laws can be..lol.

She sounds slightly annoying at times, but pretty damn fair.

3 years no less....the cheek of it!

You two need to move out and stop burdening her and giving her a hard time.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Also if you can afford to travel Europe you can afford your own place.

Platinum Member
    Well you made a choice to live there. So did your boyfriend. How old are you? My mother annoyed me too and to some degree still does. I'm 35 and I left home at 23 and have been living on my own or with housemates ever since. Yes I agree, she overstepped the boundary but it's hard to feel sorry for you. You yourself called your boyfriend a "man child" and yes he is one. You are both sponging off his parents and don't want to pay rent. Even though you actually should be chipping in even to his parents. You are adults and your boyfriend is actually in his 30's! No offence but she probably threw out his vaporizer because she's tired of her son being a lazy stoner. I mean you can smoke weed or do whatever you like if it was your own house, but it's not. Time to grow up.

OP, this is my "no sugar coating" opinion.

You and your bf are adults living off other adults. Based on your complaints... I'm thinking you believe you are entitled to everything according to your rules.

Grow up, move out, and live in the real world.

BTW, your overuse and generalization of the term "racist" say a lot about you.

Wow.....the attitude and entitlement by the OP are kind of breathtaking.

When you are mooching off other people living in their house, you do not get boundaries or privacy. You want privacy, go pay rent and live on your own like the adult you are. As already pointed out, you have money for travel, you have money for rent. You'd rather live high on the hog for free while biting the very hand that feeds you and puts a roof over your head. As for throwing out the pipe, she should be doing more throwing out than that and toss both of you out as well. High time to grow up.

The baby boy thing - lots of mothers will say that about their sons. Not a big deal. Adjust your own toxic attitude. Ironically, while most of the time it's said in jest, in this case, he is indeed a baby boy quite literally. Still living with mommy while mommy cleans his room. This guy is a child and a momma's boy and if you don't like that, you better rethink your relationship because this guy is not going to grow up.

The rest.....your attitude is way more toxic than anything you've said about this woman. Your sense of entitlement is outrageous and completely absurd. Princess is going to mooch off another, live in their house and dictate her rules....how "nice".

Only thing worse than mooching off your own parents is mooching off someone else's. I moved out after joining the Army after high school, but a lot of families and cultures are just fine housing sons and daughters until they're in the most financially advantageous position to leave the nest. It's an investment that generally comes back in the form of the kids not just sending the parent off to a home later in life or at least having the momentum to be able to afford sending them to a nicer one. And it certainly doesn't mean their kid can't or shouldn't ever take a vacation in the meantime. Mother clearly doesn't mind him around, so as long as they're both benefiting, it's not my life. Honestly, if there's any disrespect there, it's him keeping you in the house while you disrespect her both openly and behind her back while the provides you the privilege of a free roof over your head.

You need to move out, either with or without your bf. My husband's mother was sort of like your bf's mother, just in the way, controlling, telling him what to do and how to do it. She isnt going to change and neither is your man child bf. At 31 you and he should be living on your own. You can solve your problem by moving out. Dont give me the line that you cant afford it, between you and your bf you can. But I bet the man child doesnt really want to leave home where mamma takes care of everything.

Platinum Member
    You complained about this a year and a half ago:
    [Register to see the link]

In that year and a half, instead of saving money for your own place you chose to spend the little money you make as a "casual" on a month long overseas trip?

Why refuse to get a real job and pay for your own place?

Your entitlement is mind boggling. Ever consider YOU are driving THEM insane?

I know he likes that his mum does everything for him and the fact we don't have to pay for anything
    Well of course he does, as do you or you wouldn't still be living there.

It's very kind and generous that his family is paying for you to stay there.

While I totally understand your frustration with your overbearing mum-in-law, I don't understand why you feel entitled to live the way you want in a home that doesn't belong to you, or why you haven't done anything to change your situation.

There are really only two choices I can see here... one is to shift your perspective and find some gratitude and humility for what his parents are doing for you, someone that isn't even related to them. The other is to find your independence and move away from his family... because at the end of the day, he seems perfectly happy being there, and his mum seems perfectly happy meddling in your affairs, and you don't have the power to change anyone but yourself.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice