Is constant eye contact a green light?

hide

I’m new to dating girls, I’m in senior year of high school and havnt has a girlfriend. There are a few girls that I think are attractive and would like to try to get to know, but I don’t want to scare them off.

The common thing I have noticed is that any time we are in the same vicinity, we make eye contact. For example, I see this one girl every day at school, and occasionally at work and every time she walks by we always make eye contact and let out a subtle smile.

I have noticed a few girls do this with me, and I have never even met them. Is this a green light to walk up and start talking and ask to hangout? I don’t want to scare them off.

eye contact and a small smile are a green light. It is asking you to say 'Hi' and to talk to them, and eventually ask on a date. You might scare some off, that happens. I have scared some off before. Say hi and ask them to go some place simple, ball game or whatever.

A cold approach, like where you don't know these girls at all besides going to the same school as them, is not a good idea for a beginner, unless you look like a Greek god.

It would be more appropriate to engineer a situation where you can meet them in a social setting to begin with. For example if a girl works at a coffee shop, go there and do some work on your laptop, if she is in a school club, maybe join that club (not if you have zero interest in the activity)... At least be in a position where you have had a few conversations with a girl, she knows your name etc... before you drop the "hey, I think you're cute, would you like to go on a date some time?"

A cold approach, like where you don't know these girls at all besides going to the same school as them, is not a good idea for a beginner, unless you look like a Greek god.

It's a bit unnerving for a girl even if you do look like a Greek god.

Start by saying "Hi!" a few times and then stopping for a quick chat a few times. No need to rush. Having quick chats will let you know how interested they seem, and also let them know that you're not a perv. Do a bit of ice-breaking before asking them to hang out and you'll be far less likely to scare anyone off.

Good luck!

Yes, smile back, say hi, start some small talk and eventually ask a girl out. Never just walk up to a girl and ask them out. You have to get a little acquainted first.

I have noticed a few girls do this with me, and I have never even met them. Is this a green light to walk up and start talking and ask to hangout? I don’t want to scare them off.

OK dude, here's the thing....if you do scare them off, it don't matter how smooth you are, they were never interested in you to begin with. If they really like you, they don't care much about how you present yourself. Just start off with 'Hi, been seeing you around, what's your name? I'm _____. then read their body language. If they seem receptive then continue talking to them, but if they are looking like they are ready to run, then just cut it short. Move onto the next with confidence. If you keep worrying about scaring them away, you will get nowhere. Rejection is part of the deal, and you are going to have to suck it up.

The first move always has to be made and that is a cold approach if no one else introduces you.

But it doesn’t mean you walk up to a girl and the first thing you say is do you want to go on a date?

You introduce yourself first and then ask the girls name. Then you say I’ve seen you around a few times at school, work , wherever it is.

And then ask her a question about school or work.

If she quickly engages in conversation , keep chatting. If she seems keen to be elsewhere then simply say “nice to meet you , see you around”

Either way , you have a name and next time when you see her say hello Stacey or whatever her name is rather than just hello.

You will be rejected more than accepted because that’s just normal.

I agree with Billie. Just say something simple like, "Hi. How's your day going?" Then if she stops to chat, ask her what class she's going to, and then tell her your name." If you have the normal skills of reading a person's body language, you will see if she's receptive in getting to know you more. But don't ask to hang out or ask for her number, etc. at that first encounter. You will see each other around, and let it progress over time.

Eye contact is definitely a green light to say hi.

I don't know about that... hasn't anyone been in a situation (like in the gym) where you notice one guy always seems to be looking at you, and then you get self conscious and think, "Is that guy constantly looking at me" and look up and he IS looking at you again and arrggh you've just made eye contact with him and the cycle keeps repeating itself over and over again so that you wish you were wearing a shirt that said "I'm not friendly?"

Just me?

Anyway, definitely not a come hither.

It could mean they are just being friendly, it could mean they are interested - there is no "singular sign" of attraction, despite what you'll read and this is important: confusing something to be a "green light" is not what you want lol.

Getting to know someone isn't because they gave you a "green light" - your male friends didn't provide you a signal to be their friends, did they? Think of this as very similar; you need to start at being open and friendly to women as friends; if any of them find you attractive the romantic portion will follow.

Rather than "green light says go" walking up to any woman who looks at you; be smart: you said you work with one of the girls? Why not just start with small talk when you see her and see if she's even reciprocating that? If she enjoys talking to you about work or other things you have in common, then you've at the least made a friend; but you can also easily segway that into asking if she wants to go do an activity on a date.

You're not a pickup artist don't aspire to be that, it's a sad look. A lot of the guys who see women as "green light" due to body language are quickly going to find themselves labeled terms you don't want by women you do want.

Archived