Still stuck with career choices

I know I spoke about my career choices many times here . I’m not very happy with my job . I’m more of a medical billing assistant or administrative assistant just to clarify . I haven’t gotten very far in medical billing . My thoughts are wanting to be an elementary school teacher . However , the issue is there aren’t too many elementary school teacher jobs in USA . Another option I looked into was SLPA. SLPA is essentially a speech therapy aide . I didn’t have the grades to get into speech therapy school. Overall , I wanted to work with children .

yea, any university or community college will offer counseling to you, probably for free. I went to college for a long time and did not get a profession, but then again I didnt really want one, just went to college for fun. But, yea, even just call them up at your local community college, and likely they will tell you to make an appointment to come and talk to a counselor. I did several times. They can help: That is their job!

I live in the USA. Plenty of teaching jobs. Depends sometimes on your specific area but yes, plenty. Speech therapy aide likely does not pay much. Speech therapists can make a really good living in various ways -private practice/working at a school or both. It sounds like you want to work with children, yes? Also look into teaching fellowships in your area. I'm not a huge fan of Teach For America but that is one example that comes to mind.

My grades are too low for speech therapy masters .

You said "the USA" -not your state. If your grades are too low you might want to consider taking more classes, etc to raise your GPA. I would not do speech therapy aide because my sense is it would be boring/rote/and with little reward that SLPs get from working one on one.

I would try volunteering in the areas or related ares that you are interested in to see how it fits before spending time and money on training courses. Many of the ones you mention require advanced degrees, so perhaps you could look into similar fields/positions that require certificate or associate level training.

Ah. Sorry for not clarifying . Also I’ve looked up vision teacher and deaf and hard hearing jobs too. What’s your opinion about it ?

I don't know what a vision teacher is - particularly because issues with vision can take different forms/different causes. My opinion of working with children with special needs in general: it's an extremely hard job, typically not high paying (other than if the person has advanced medical degrees or similar then maybe), very rewarding, not for the faint of heart, often very impressive and never would have been a good fit for me although I did volunteer helping children with special needs.

• 1 month later...

The U.S. Department of Education released its “college scorecard" in which it looks at data on earnings by field of study and the university attended. In addition to revealing that mathematics and computer science were the two top-earning concentrations, it also revealed graduates from elite universities, or those that admit less than 25% of applicants, make the most money one year post-graduation.

• 1 year later...
On 10/17/2019 at 8:07 AM, Wiseman2 said:

I would try volunteering in the areas or related ares that you are interested in to see how it fits before spending time and money on training courses. Many of the ones you mention require advanced degrees, so perhaps you could look into similar fields/positions that require certificate or associate level training.

Fair enough .. that’s good advice 

Archived