Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Former employer wants me back

Silver Member
    It depends on the level youíre seeking.

I deal with consultants on a daily basis since I monitor their sales pipelines. Some of them are straight out of college, others have 3 years experience and the more experienced ones with more than 5-10 years usually lead those projects. Itís definitely feasible. As I have direct exposure to the deals and the levels assigned to those deals, I can safely say 5 years is sufficient to get your foot into the door.

I have former colleagues who have less experience than I do who joined other consultancy companies as financial institution consultants with only a Bachelor degree.

It also depends on the expertise you have in a specific field. If you have thorough knowledge and can contribute, you may as well try.

Usually those consultants start at the lowest level as graduates or associates and work their way up. Theyíre nonetheless consultants.

The new role is not to my liking as Iím wasting all of my knowledge and not capitalizing on it. I really like the new company, which is why I joined despite fully knowing the role wasnít really to my liking. I wanted to get a foot into the door. It was not an impulsive move, but a rather strategic one. I moved into a higher rank, higher salary and respected company. It took me a year and many offers to finally resign from my former job of three years. Yes, the new role isnít exciting, but the company offers prospects.

Iím afraid the former company is a dead end. I just of it today and I realize the position they want to hire me for is definitely a step down. They normally hire graduates with no real degree into that role and train them up. The girl I would be working with fits that profile. I used to do project management in the heart of the corporate banking business and theyíre offering me an administrative role now that I have a Big4 on my CV and can definitely find better on the market? Sounds to me like theyíre just trying to find any position to bring me back because they canít get any approvals for any roles. They waited until some entry level guy left and called me to fill in his role. I donít think they realize their offer is unreasonable. Who would leave a healthy company for this? They seem to forget I also gained experience elsewhere and Iím not in the spot I was in when I left months ago. Plus, moving abroad for this is more than unreasonable.

Iíll need to talk to them. Either they call me for a suitable role or else. Calling me for this type of admin role is a joke. I donít want to be wasting my potential any further.

It seems like you know where you're going and what you want. I don't suggest calling your previous company. It hasn't proven reliable in its structure and you seem increasingly frustrated with the way the company is run.

Silver Member
    Originally Posted by Rose Mosse
    It seems like you know where you're going and what you want. I don't suggest calling your previous company. It hasn't proven reliable in its structure and you seem increasingly frustrated with the way the company is run.
    I think I still have some frustrations towards my former employer indeed. The company is run pretty poorly which is probably the reason why the stocks are going downhill, they are undergoing a hiring & promotion freeze and people are leaving left and right.

They're aware that when I left, I was still fond of my job and the team, but there was too much toxicity around me for me to carry on. Thus, they're trying to recycle me into a role which I know will end up in me doing more than what the job spec entails. I believe they want me to perform a large part of my former job under the new role's umbrella and dump everything onto my desk. I used to work pretty closely with the team I'd be joining, even helping them out with compliance/legal work which should normally be in their remit not mine. I was happy to help, since I have the knowledge. However, at this stage, I fully know there is more to this than they're telling me.

My gut feeling is also telling me I should not go into that direct as it would be shooting myself in the foot. Yes, the new job isn't great, but the prospects are far greater than the former company's which are frozen from every angle. I'd be locking myself in a cage.

I'm getting worked up and I'm not even back! I'm pretty sure that if I were to go back, once the honeymoon phase dies down, I'll probably wonder what on earth came over me. It's a choice I know I would regret immensely. The thought of moving to that city to work in that office is giving me anxiety. A few months ago, I would have been delighted. Now, that I've seen something else, it's a different story.

I agree with you. There are too many concerns with the previous employer. It might be better to brave it forward with this role, invest the extra you make for the time being. Keep an eye on the industry and stay connected.

Silver Member
    Hi all,

So, my former employer today called me again with HR on the line to offer the following:

- 13k salary increase from my current salary, but bear in mind the taxes are higher in the country they want me to move to, so more than likely the increase will go into taxes. As a matter of fact, I used a simulator & my net salary will decrease by 500 monthlyIt's not worth it.
    - Health & Life Insurance
    - No relocation package
    - I asked about he corporate title and their response was: "Based on the salary we're offering you, you can assume this is not an entry level role".

I didn't like the response to the last point. Why be so coy about the corporate title? Every job I've been offered or headhunted for had a proper corporate title. If they're unwilling the advise on the corporate title, then more than likely, they will get me at entry level/no corporate title. I need to understand where I will land, because if I land at a lower grade, there is no point. I was offered far more in the country I'm in with a lower tax rate.

Something about this while thing is fishy. I'm not feeling comfortable with the offer and the approach they took. They didn't ask me for my current base salary before making the offer, nor did they ask about an updated CV. I'm a bit surprised they want me to uproot my entire life for this.

I'll have a further thought, but my gut feeling is telling me to stay where I am.

Additionally, there are plenty of entry level roles within the salary bracket they offered me, so I'm surprised they think this is a good salary for someone with 5 years experience.

What really stands out to me is this:

Originally Posted by RuedeRivoli
    1. Is this an entry-level role? The company has a history of hiring entry-level people for this type of role because it is obviously cheaper. Given I have 5 years experience and a solid educational background with 3 languages, I would not let myself slide back into an entry level role. The senior person I spoke to said she's going to investigate as she's not sure of the title.
    How can she not be sure of what level of responsibility she is hiring for? Sounds like bad news, based on this piece of information alone. Sounds like they're looking to hire a sucker.

I'll have a further thought, but my gut feeling is telling me to stay where I am.
    I think you would be right to stay where you are.

I didn't like the response to the last point. Why be so coy about the corporate title? Every job I've been offered or headhunted for had a proper corporate title. If they're unwilling the advise on the corporate title, then more than likely, they will get me at entry level/no corporate title. I need to understand where I will land, because if I land at a lower grade, there is no point. I was offered far more in the country I'm in with a lower tax rate.
    I don't know why you are so hung up on having a "proper corporate title." Unless you are an officer of the company, a licensed professional, or managing a department, the term a company chooses for your package of responsibilities is not particularly important and varies from company to company. The important parts are your actual responsibilities and your compensation. That is what they mean when they say "Based on the salary we're offering you, you can assume this is not an entry level role." I sill wouldn't take the job though.

Platinum Member
    HR knows the title. They just don't want to tell you for some reason.

I never agree to accept a job unless and until I get an offer letter with everything spelled out clearly.

I wouldn't take them on faith. This is your career they're talking about and you shouldn't be getting deliberately vague answers to your questions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice