Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How to deal with a friend like this?

Originally Posted by MurphyB
    No don't do that. Be the bigger person, plus you shouldn't retract a gift. You obviously could afford it so let it go and learn from it.

I'd distance myself from her if I was you and see how long she takes to come back to you. If you hear nothing in 2 weeks, send a nice text saying "Hey how are you getting on?" if she takes an age to reply, you'll know where you stand.
    Oh no, Iím not worried about the money. It was just $10 not $100. Yeah, Iím just gonna distance. My mom has also had some doubts about her as she stayed with us one time. And Iím kind of seeing it now. Iím always there for her. But lately, Iím been seeing how itís a bit one sided.

Ah God a tenner is nothing.

Focus your energies on your friends who make you happy.

(I gave this mate of mine a $500 phone for helping me clean up my front bedroom! It was a spare one I had and a year old, I didn't need it and she had no money to buy one when her one broke.)

Platinum Member
    Ten dollars. That is nothing. Since you told us you gave her money, I thought it was significant.

OP, how old are you?

Originally Posted by MurphyB
    Ah God a tenner is nothing.

Focus your energies on your friends who make you happy.

(I gave this mate of mine a $500 phone for helping me clean up my front bedroom! It was a spare one I had and a year old, I didn't need it and she had no money to buy one when her one broke.)
    Aw, thatís very kind. And youíre right! Thatís what Iím going to do. The only person who got a significant amount was my best friend back in Nigeria as he is going thru several things & is currently unemployed. He has been there throughout many hard times of my life, from my abusive family to nursing school.

Originally Posted by Hollyj
    Ten dollars. That is nothing. Since you told us you gave her money, I thought it was significant.

OP, how old are you?
    It wasnít. Iím 21.

Originally Posted by oheyitsfaith
    The only person who got a significant amount was my best friend back in Nigeria.
    I almost spat my tea out on the keyboard when I read that first and thought "OH JEEBUS!"

I read it quickly as:
    The only person who got a significant amount was a friend in Nigeria.
    LOL

Back off. Consider her less than an acquaintance. Move on with your life, friends, family if they're nearby and focus on yourself. Stop obsessing over her. Keep a safe, frosty distance. Remain polite yet stay away.

Even though it's well meant, never do this. It's odd and makes people uncomfortable. Unsolicited gifts, especially cash can seem rather creepy regardless of the amount.. It's not out of generosity. You wanted and expected responses, attention and gratitude. Never do things like that. This friend may have felt creeped out by it and is distancing herself.
    I only sent money after receiving a hefty check last week. So I decided to send my loved ones a little something out of generosity.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Give Advice
Ask For Advice