LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I ask if my dad cheated?

Should I ask if my dad cheated?

I知 not sure if this is the correct forum to post this in. But here it goes.

When I was a teenager, my dad was close friends with a woman in my town named Liz. They walked their dogs together and even had their own little business mowing lawns. Liz spent a lot of time at our house, and we were all pretty close for awhile. (We all stopped hanging out together while I was in college. Liz and I are Facebook friends, though.)

As I知 sure you致e guessed, I知 tempted to ask Liz (via Facebook) if she was always just friends with my dad. (Even when my mom first saw him with her during a walk, I heard her say, 的知 not stupid, George! My mom eventually came around and accepted they were just friends. But obviously, I can稚 help but suspect that maybe something went on between Liz and my dad while they were 吐riends.)

Should I bite the bullet and ask Liz? Or would that inappropriate/out of line to ask? (You guys once saved my butt with a similar situation years ago, lol. I知 autistic, I don稚 get social cues at all.)

Thank you!

I dont think you should ask Liz. Good chance if she did have a fling with dad, she'd lie about it since you are his daughter.

Ask only if you're prepared for rebuke because Liz and your dad will think you are being accusatory. You really need to ask yourself this: "Is it worth it?" You could very well create animosity and your inquisitive nature could backfire sorely. Sometimes you need to let sleeping dogs lie. Stirring the pot will get your into trouble. If you want to know the truth, they may not be willing to disclose their relationship or non-relationship to you. Keep in mind that you need to weigh how important peace is to you.

There are many instances when ignorance is bliss.

Don't cause drama and trouble. Peace is best. Arguments and fighting are not advised. Choose peace for everyone.

The adults in the situation handled things the way they saw fit. Just because you're now an adult doesn't mean you have to be privy to how it was handled. Just as your parents shouldn't question you about your sex life, you shouldn't question them about theirs. No, don't upset Liz about your suspicions.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Nope. Not your business.

She would most likely lie to you and then tell your Dad who would get angry.

It's best not to.

Bad idea. It's none of your business and I'm not sure why Liz is connected to you if you're not actually on friendly terms personally. If it's causing you this much grief and the questions are eating you alive, remove her from your social media. Stay focused on your own life and work on your own life goals. Things like this generally take care of themselves. If you're living with your mum or close with your mum focus on your relationship with her. If you miss your dad, focus on your relationship with your dad. Don't go barking up the wrong tree - pay more attention to the relationships that mean most to you.

Got it; I won稚 ask. Thanks again guys!

What would suddenly make you want to pry into this a decade or so later? What is it about cheating that suddenly makes you wonder about this? It's best to stay out of your parents business especially accusing this woman.
    Originally Posted by TulipWriter
    When I was a teenager

Liz and I are Facebook friends, though. I can稚 help but suspect that maybe something went on between Liz and my dad while they were 吐riends.

Ya whatever happened between them is not your business. It only becomes your business if one of the confesses to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice