Job Offer

So I have a job offer. It seems like it would be a good fit for me, but it is a about a 40 minute drive. The drive is my biggest hiccup. I have a pretty good job now, but this new job would pay me about $8,000 (maybe a tiny more) per year. I also think the growth potential is higher since it is a smaller place. Where I am now, I don't feel there is a ton of growth unless it's waiting around for something to happen (someone to leave or get fired). I've all but decided that 40 minutes isn't too bad... I mean I can always move closer, but I don't want to because I like where I live and I need to be near stores and the job is sorta remote. As it is now, my drive to work is about 15 minutes... sometimes 20. I do have a small walk from my parking lot (which i need to pay to park $30 a month) to my building. At the new job, parking is free and it's right there. I don't really mind the walk though- it's probably not even 5 minutes.

The other bonus with the new job is i'll be reunited with someone who I considered sorta a mentor in my career. I like the idea of working for a smaller office as I do think it will be more of a team environment. Where I am now, I think people are afraid of you advancing over them. I also considered leaving my state, but I just don't feel ready to do that yet. I think if I still feel unhappy, I might do that later on perhaps. I feel like I've sorta grown all I can where I am now and that I need a change, although I am scared of change. At the same time, I know that if I really hate it, I will land on my feet. I love what I do at my job now, and I am very good at it, but I feel overlooked - mostly I think because they are scared of changing things too. I've already made up my mind, that well I should take it. Part of me is scared that my job will actually offer me more- although I don't think they can. It's one of those things where I think I need to leave because it's holding me back. I am grateful for the chance I got when I was hired, and I have seen so much growth in myself. When I started, I felt like I knew nothing. About a year in I still felt like I had so much to learn. I feel like during this last year or more I've really grew in ways I became the go to person, which I enjoyed. I sorta created a niche and excelled at it. My prior job before this- I sorta felt the same where I had a different niche and was also very comfortable and scared to leave. I know though, without really a doubt, that if I take this job, my career will advance faster. Where I am now, I feel stuck. I think the movement would be lateral and that is not enough. I also, don't think they would even want to move me, although I have never asked. Everyone else has gotten moved laterally, but not me. I am next in line where I am now, in some aspects, but they could easily move someone else in. I don't feel like I should wait for change, but be the one who creates the change. I guess I feel like if something was to open and if they were interested in me, they would maybe reach out to me. Many people come and go... and some come back. Other's seem to eventually get an even better job- and that's where I am aiming for. I am still hoping eventually the job I want has a spot, and when it does- I think the new job would likely make me a better candidate.

So.. is 40 minutes really that bad?

I believe you were having issues with your boss, so this sounds like a good option. A smaller company can offer you more growth. You also have the option of moving somewhere in-between.

My commute by train is over an hour, so 40 min. does not sound too bad.

You're asking about something that's very personal and relative from person to person.

You also seem nervous in general which leads me to think that you probably don't drive out of your 15-20 min radius. If this is correct, the 40 min will probably be difficult for you to adjust to. Your routine might have to change and you may have to get up earlier for work or do more organized meal preps ahead of time because making sandwiches or meals for yourself the morning of might not work as well. Nervous drivers or unfamiliar routes will mean high risk of accidents so be more careful on your drives and leave ample room. If it took you 40 min to get there for an interview, leave yourself 1 hour to get to work.

Double the commute means double the money in gas/fuel. You may also have to pay more insurance on your car as your daily work commute has now doubled in kilometers (or miles wherever you are). Make sure you're properly insured for the appropriate distance you're driving.

If you have a kid you'll have to figure out a routine that works with your child or any other family members.

My husband has a 50 minute commute and that's without accidents and heavy traffic. Others have it much worse. My husband has to make sure he eats dinner early, goes to bed early, awakes when it's still dark outside, leave work early in order to beat traffic, arrive early and after a full day, he's exhausted. Weekends can't arrive fast enough and even then weekends feel awfully short.

My husband has to make sure his clothes are set out the night before, lunches are packed and in the fridge and everything runs like clockwork. In the morning, he packs his cooler with his lunch and freezer packs. He leaves for work early and eats cereal and milk which is stored at work in the company fridge. He eats his lunch from home and leaves earlier in order to beat rush hour traffic. It's a vicious, exhausting cycle. I'm worn out because I have to keep up with his schedule and make his work life as convenient as possible. I pick up more slack at the home front because he's so darn tired.

My job is local which is wonderful. I'm not nearly as fatigued as my husband because my schedule isn't as strict and I don't feel sleep deprived.

I can't speak for everyone but a long commute will definitely affect the quality of your life. There's no escaping a long commute which wears on you after merely a few days! :eek: :upset: The novelty of a new job loses its luster once your long daily commute consumes you. You can't feel excited about a new job if you're mentally and physically exhausted everyday.

If you can self discipline yourself on a new commute schedule and if you're young and energetic, go for it for the sake of a better job opportunity. However, if your time is precious to you and if you know you'll grow tired of a long commute, you need to think if a long commute is practical for you. Ask yourself if you prefer convenience or the sacrifice of a long commute in order to have a better way to advance your career. You can't have everything in this case and need to choose.

Also, weigh in other factors. Which company will give you the most financial security and stability? Which company is less risky? You need to look at other pros and cons other than your long daily commute.

Do you want to spend more time on the road or enjoy convenience? You need to think how a long commute impacts your everyday life and how tired you will feel everyday for years to come.

You can grow accustomed to a 40 minute commute if you're forced due to survival. You may not enjoy the long commute but your new job may feel rewarding. On the other hand, if your time is more precious to you and you will grow fatigued, then choose the shorter drive.

I can easily say to take your new job. However, since I know what a long daily commute entails, I'm telling you that you will definitely feel exhausted. It's not easy. If you're young and healthy, you'll be able to endure a long daily commute. If you fatigue easily, I advise against a long daily commute.

Another thing to consider is, will your new company allow you to work remotely so you don't have to drive back 'n forth 5 days a week? Find out. If you only have to make a long commute a few days a week, then it won't be so bad and it's doable.

Calculate what you would be spending extra in gas/tolls and other car related expenses to make sure that the 8k/year is actually a raise or not. Other than that, it sounds good. Yes, commuting can get to you--if you let it. I used to have a solid 45 minute commute as well. I found it to be a great, relaxing time to listen to some ted talks, self affirmations or audio books. It became a time to reflect and center. Use your time wisely. An hour and a half a day is a long time, so I recommend you find something similar to fill the time..whether it's doing what I did, learning a new language, or calling a loved one.. Invest in yourself during that time.

My husband was self employed for years and a few days a week he drove an hour to do his job. Other days it was under 10 minutes. 40 mins is no big deal, many people drive an hour or more every day.

I think you need to shake yourself out of your comfort zone and pull up your big girl socks and go for it! Nothing ventured, nothing gained. You have several reasons why you think the new job would be good for you, so take it!

This is one to really think about. I have a long commute of an hour and a half, and the challenges i face are: at times i feel like ive done a days work before i even get there, its mentaly draining being on the road and you have to constantly be aware. Also if traffic is bad it can take me 2 hours just to get to work. Then you have to do it all again once you finish as well dont forget. 40 mins isnt as long but i only work a few days per week. If your working a full 5 days it will get to you. I guess you have to way up all the facts . Maybe try the route out a few times first at rush hour and see how you get on before you make the desision

My commute is a minimum of an hour a day. Twice this week it's been in excess of an hour and a half. I get up at 5am and don't get home until at least 7pm. I can tell you that it's very draining and expensive. I only do it because I enjoy my job once I'm there, but I dread getting into the car. Sometimes quality of life is more important than money or success.

I would do it- 40 minutes doesn't sound bad at all and neither does the walk -walking is good for you. My commute is 35-40 by walking (20 minutes total) and train for the rest. Not an issue at all. For 15 years my commute was also that long but much more of it walking. For several other jobs and internships I commuted over an hour for the opportunities -no regrets at all. Maybe practice the commute during your working hours to see how it feels?

There are 2,080 hours in a typical work year. That's a lot of hours to be unhappy in a work place. I'd go for the new job since you see promotion potential there and a better work environment. 40 minutes is a very common commute to get to work. That's mine, and I download audio books on my phone and listen to the story on my way in to work. There are often adjustments being made for work. I just went from an 8 hour day to a 9. Over time your schedule will become the norm and you will likely adjust. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Is there any public transportation in the area?

I do a 2-hour commute in LA. sometimes on bus or train. Plus, I can work from home part of the week. I break up the long drive by doing errands, visiting friends, etc.

Most of my career my most significant raise came with a job change to a new employer. A work environment does not have to be a laugh riot. However, if it feels like drudgery and is shifting towards depressing, it is time to go.

As you might suspect, I think 40 minutes is just getting off the couch. That is hardly a factor in my world.

Given the rambling, run-on mess that was your second paragraph, it seems obvious to me you're here hoping we'll tell you "40 minutes is worth it." And if that's indeed the case, you officially have the coveted j.man blessing. Hold it close. Cherish it.

Speaking personally, we recently relocated, and I went from anywhere between a 60 and 90 minute commute one-way in NYC to now 15 - 30 minutes walking. Not going to lie. I thoroughly enjoy the present commute a whole lot more. Having a 5-minute drive is pretty much the pinnacle. But at some point, as you're seeing, you're choosing the lesser misery between the commute and the job itself (assuming you have to choose). It's subjective. Going from NYC to this, I'm honestly not sure if I could ever happily commute a decent distance again. But that's me. I think it's easy for a lot of us who have or have had ****ty commutes to tell you to just suck it up, but ultimately it's your 7+ extra hours a week to factor into the cost-benefit analysis.

Also anecdotally, after our land gets developed, my wife will be commuting 45 - 50 minutes each way. But we're talking straight-shot, relatively rural interstate, not LA driving or NYC subways. Whereas I cut it as close to "roll out of bed, put on pants on the way out the door" as I can professionally get away with, she's the type of person who wakes up 1.5 hours before work just to listen to her shows or a podcast in the background to "wind up" so to speak. So she's pretty confident in being able to incorporate it into the drive. That said, we'll also be fortunate to keep the house we have now, which is about 5 minutes away in case there are days the weather's bad or she for whatever reason just doesn't want to do the commute back home.

Last year, my hubs had a one-way two hour commute. And this year, one hour one-way. Prior to both, 10 minutes one-way, but he also makes 50% more with his current job! Mine is 45 minutes when I add in pick up with the kids, but would be 20 to 30 otherwise. 40 minutes per day extra commute is about $0.77 per minute for the $8K pump. Is it worth it? Heck, vacays aren't free. What about incentives do they offer? Insurance, 401K, etc?

If it were my choice, I'd move close to the new job. Why do you HAVE to be very near a grocery store? With a little planning, you can do your shopping once a week. Time is precious, and the more you have at home the better. There doesn't seem to be any negatives about taking this new job.

Why are you afraid to make a change?

Studies show that divorce rates skyrocket when commutes reach 45+ minutes. It’s correlated to individual misery and people bringing their misery home to their spouse.

Keep that in mind. Plus your gas expenses, and therefore car maintenance, will go up a lot.

That's interesting.

The job I've been at the last 2 years is a field-based position, so I am either working from home, or I may be driving to an account. This week, I drove to an account 100 miles away, stayed a few hours, then came home. My other account I went to this week was a 1.5 hour drive each way (but only 25 miles), just heavy traffic in the area. Hours spent in a car go towards my "work time" and I like to listen to interesting podcasts, so that helps keep my mind off of stand-still traffic. I highly recommend podcasts or listening to music you really like. You can always move closer to your job too.

Archived