LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Job Offer

Platinum Member
    I would do it- 40 minutes doesn't sound bad at all and neither does the walk -walking is good for you. My commute is 35-40 by walking (20 minutes total) and train for the rest. Not an issue at all. For 15 years my commute was also that long but much more of it walking. For several other jobs and internships I commuted over an hour for the opportunities -no regrets at all. Maybe practice the commute during your working hours to see how it feels?

2. 10-11-2019, 09:53 AM

There are 2,080 hours in a typical work year. That's a lot of hours to be unhappy in a work place. I'd go for the new job since you see promotion potential there and a better work environment. 40 minutes is a very common commute to get to work. That's mine, and I download audio books on my phone and listen to the story on my way in to work. There are often adjustments being made for work. I just went from an 8 hour day to a 9. Over time your schedule will become the norm and you will likely adjust. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Platinum Member
    Is there any public transportation in the area?

I do a 2-hour commute in LA. sometimes on bus or train. Plus, I can work from home part of the week. I break up the long drive by doing errands, visiting friends, etc.

Most of my career my most significant raise came with a job change to a new employer. A work environment does not have to be a laugh riot. However, if it feels like drudgery and is shifting towards depressing, it is time to go.

As you might suspect, I think 40 minutes is just getting off the couch. That is hardly a factor in my world.

Given the rambling, run-on mess that was your second paragraph, it seems obvious to me you're here hoping we'll tell you "40 minutes is worth it." And if that's indeed the case, you officially have the coveted j.man blessing. Hold it close. Cherish it.

Speaking personally, we recently relocated, and I went from anywhere between a 60 and 90 minute commute one-way in NYC to now 15 - 30 minutes walking. Not going to lie. I thoroughly enjoy the present commute a whole lot more. Having a 5-minute drive is pretty much the pinnacle. But at some point, as you're seeing, you're choosing the lesser misery between the commute and the job itself (assuming you have to choose). It's subjective. Going from NYC to this, I'm honestly not sure if I could ever happily commute a decent distance again. But that's me. I think it's easy for a lot of us who have or have had ****ty commutes to tell you to just suck it up, but ultimately it's your 7+ extra hours a week to factor into the cost-benefit analysis.

Also anecdotally, after our land gets developed, my wife will be commuting 45 - 50 minutes each way. But we're talking straight-shot, relatively rural interstate, not LA driving or NYC subways. Whereas I cut it as close to "roll out of bed, put on pants on the way out the door" as I can professionally get away with, she's the type of person who wakes up 1.5 hours before work just to listen to her shows or a podcast in the background to "wind up" so to speak. So she's pretty confident in being able to incorporate it into the drive. That said, we'll also be fortunate to keep the house we have now, which is about 5 minutes away in case there are days the weather's bad or she for whatever reason just doesn't want to do the commute back home.

Platinum Member
    Last year, my hubs had a one-way two hour commute. And this year, one hour one-way. Prior to both, 10 minutes one-way, but he also makes 50% more with his current job! Mine is 45 minutes when I add in pick up with the kids, but would be 20 to 30 otherwise. 40 minutes per day extra commute is about $0.77 per minute for the $8K pump. Is it worth it? Heck, vacays aren't free. What about incentives do they offer? Insurance, 401K, etc?

Could you work remotely one day a week?

If it were my choice, I'd move close to the new job. Why do you HAVE to be very near a grocery store? With a little planning, you can do your shopping once a week. Time is precious, and the more you have at home the better. There doesn't seem to be any negatives about taking this new job.

Why are you afraid to make a change?

Originally Posted by mustlovedogs
    Studies show that divorce rates skyrocket when commutes reach 45+ minutes. Itís correlated to individual misery and people bringing their misery home to their spouse.

Keep that in mind. Plus your gas expenses, and therefore car maintenance, will go up a lot.
    That's interesting.

The job I've been at the last 2 years is a field-based position, so I am either working from home, or I may be driving to an account. This week, I drove to an account 100 miles away, stayed a few hours, then came home. My other account I went to this week was a 1.5 hour drive each way (but only 25 miles), just heavy traffic in the area. Hours spent in a car go towards my "work time" and I like to listen to interesting podcasts, so that helps keep my mind off of stand-still traffic. I highly recommend podcasts or listening to music you really like. You can always move closer to your job too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice