LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: About my bf's niece

About my bf's niece

My bf and I have been dating for a year now. Perhaps this issue doesn't pertain to me as a 3rd party (maybe it's none of my business either) but would you be alarmed if a child behaved like his niece? Her mother just recently set up an appointment with a child psychologist for next week.

We live around 20-30 away from the girl's mother. The girl doesn't smile too much except when doing bad things. I don't know too much about her other than what my bf has informed me so far. She's 8 years old and her parents have been divorced for nearly 5 years. She has gotten into a couple fights with her classmates at school last year and one just recently. These are a couple other things that happened recently starting somewhere in July or August.
    - She hurled small rocks at cats and kicked one, laughing
    - She threw a boy's hamster on the lake, watched it drown and laughed when the boy cried. That incident was dismissed because she claimed that she was just curious to see if it could swim.
    - She has cut off all the heads of her dolls and destroyed a couple toys. She doesn't play with them anymore.
    - She used a kitchen cleaver to cut several frogs' (some of them were big frogs) heads, rinses them with water, collects them on jars and took pictures.
    - She told my bf that it's fun chopping their heads and hurting things. My bf said she had a smile when telling him that.

The issue has also been addressed to the girl's father. She visits him on the weekends. The guy thinks his daughter is just being a normal kid that's acting out, being rebellious, immature and it's just a stage she'll overcome soon. As an observant, I doubt this is common between children in general. I'm not sure what to think of this.

Glad a psychologicist is getting involved. That's a lot of animal cruelty and I think her fascination with beheading frogs is beyond disturbing.

Keep your distance from her. I would not interact with this child or let her anywhere near any animals/vulnerable people.

What does your boyfriend say about this? Hope he's on the same page. To classify this as simply "acting out" is ludicrous. If he actually believes that, I'd question his intellect. But a lot of people make excuses because "FAAAMIIILY" so you never know

Alright, so you're asking for a reason. Care to cut to the chase? Obviously all of that is incredibly concerning behavior. If your boyfriend cares enough to divulge the information to you, it's likewise obvious that concern isn't lost on him. She's got an appointment with a child psychologist next week, so why the question now? Are you looking to justify badgering your boyfriend to involve the state regardless?

No that is not normal in any way. I hope she gets good therapy as she needs it.

I'm glad we're all on the same page here that it's definitely very disturbing behavior for a child at that age. J.man in my short 25 years, I've never stumbled into a child like that. The information shocked me. Neither my friends nor I did that as kids. My bf initially thought a long lecture would make the girl understand that animals can feel too. He started getting more worried when it didn't work.

No amount of talking can teach someone to have basic empathy for other life. This girl needs some serious treatment or else she's going to be cutting off human heads someday, not frogs. Let's hope that she is able to be salvaged.

This sounds like gossip to be honest.

It doesn't concern you, they are already getting a psychologist to look into it, so why tell the whole world?

Platinum Member
    Dont most serial killers start out this way?

[Register to see the link]

No, that is not common behavior for children. She definitely needs that psychologist. Also, I would be concerned if I were you, too, especially if you plan on marrying your boyfriend in the future. That girl could become a part of your family, too and she won't always be 8.

I'm sorry but it still sounds like idle gossip to me...it's got nothing to do with, OP and the parents are taking care of it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice