LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: friend turned out to be selfish

Gold Member
    I think, ultimately, you're just going to eat the cost of this, including any rate increases that may occur. Hopefully you will not see a rate increase because you were not at fault, but I think we all know this is probably not going to be the case. It's a very unfortunate set of circumstances, and lesson learned in not calling police and filing a report straight away. I can understand your position in that this is (was) your friend, so you certainly didn't want to put her up on the block and just resolve it between yourselves. I would have done the exact same thing.

Small claims costs money. I don't know how it works in the UK, but here in the US, I took someone to small claims. I had to spend time and money. I had to send certified mail, court fees, copies, certification of such copies, etc., and take the time to show up in court, which is a window of waiting your turn to go before the judge. I got nothing out of it. Not a penny.

I had an accident with someone who was at fault, and didn't call the police. I don't remember the exact circumstances, but insurance got into it, and when they tried to contact her for her version, she was completely unavailable and refused to cooperate, and I ate the cost of that one too. My aunt got into an accident and didn't report, and the party at fault fully denied having any involvement in this accident later on when contacted. Does a falling tree make a sound if no one is there to hear it? No witnesses, it didn't happen.

This is a friend (was) and if this were to repeat itself with another friend (or turn back time for a do-over with this now ex-friend), I doubt you would make a different choice because it's a friend, and you would expect that friend to make good on the damage, even if you split the cost (which you shouldn't have to do).

I'm sorry you're going through this. Definitely get her licence plate and let your insurance take over the rest. Your going to be stuck with the costs, no matter what. I doubt you'll see a penny from your ex-friend. I'm sorry you lost a friend over this.

Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    First your insurance must prove she did this hit-and-run. No one can randomly charge someone's insurance. Then you need to have your car repaired. You need to keep all the bills and document all the paperwork from the body shop, insurance etc. When you have all that together ask your insurance about it.

You may have to file a police report yourself. They will be better at finding her if you have her name, age, the date, time it happened the make model of her car where she lives etc. It's their job, not yours. In fact that would be much better than continuing to take matters in your own hands. The more you do that the worse it looks for you.

Get your emotions out of this and treat it as a hit and run. If you continue to make it a personal cat-fight, you won't be taken seriously and they may even think you are filing a false report. Just the facts, ma'am.
    Ive send the claims department of the insurance company screen shots of all of our texts where the idiots admited full responsibility and said she wil pay for the damage if thats not enough evidence i dont know what is.

Also when shes realsied how much the damage is shes called me a liar and said i did the misalignemt of the panels myself ive asked for her insurance details and shes refused, ive sent them evidence of that as well. I think this will cost her alot more now than if it had of done if she had of just paid for my car to be fixed straight away and properly instead of trying to cut corners and say that i did some of the damage myself. ....shes a snake i hope they take her to the cleaners

Originally Posted by purplepaisley
    I think, ultimately, you're just going to eat the cost of this, including any rate increases that may occur. Hopefully you will not see a rate increase because you were not at fault, but I think we all know this is probably not going to be the case. It's a very unfortunate set of circumstances, and lesson learned in not calling police and filing a report straight away. I can understand your position in that this is (was) your friend, so you certainly didn't want to put her up on the block and just resolve it between yourselves. I would have done the exact same thing.

Small claims costs money. I don't know how it works in the UK, but here in the US, I took someone to small claims. I had to spend time and money. I had to send certified mail, court fees, copies, certification of such copies, etc., and take the time to show up in court, which is a window of waiting your turn to go before the judge. I got nothing out of it. Not a penny.

I had an accident with someone who was at fault, and didn't call the police. I don't remember the exact circumstances, but insurance got into it, and when they tried to contact her for her version, she was completely unavailable and refused to cooperate, and I ate the cost of that one too. My aunt got into an accident and didn't report, and the party at fault fully denied having any involvement in this accident later on when contacted. Does a falling tree make a sound if no one is there to hear it? No witnesses, it didn't happen.

This is a friend (was) and if this were to repeat itself with another friend (or turn back time for a do-over with this now ex-friend), I doubt you would make a different choice because it's a friend, and you would expect that friend to make good on the damage, even if you split the cost (which you shouldn't have to do).

I'm sorry you're going through this. Definitely get her licence plate and let your insurance take over the rest. Your going to be stuck with the costs, no matter what. I doubt you'll see a penny from your ex-friend. I'm sorry you lost a friend over this.
    Here in the uk its different. Ive posted texts between us both where shes admitted full liability. She's to blame fully. She's offered to pay the full costs. It just turns out she wanted it all on her terms. She started to dictate to me when and how things were gonna get sorted and that i was a liar when i told her i had further damage. She was willing to pay for the bump to my bumper but not the imapct the hit to my bumper did to the other panels next to it. So now after trying to offer her a monthly payment plan to help her spread the cost of the damage and being told im harrasing her and she will call the police (theres no reasoning with her) im going through insurance like i should of done straight away.....and shes now given me texts of her admittance so im going to claim against her. Shes no friend and i hope her insurance rockets sky high after this. . As thats all she cares about.

. I'm sorry you lost a friend over this.[/QUOTE]

I never lost a friend, i found out the truth

Excellent. Because you have now chosen to do things legally and officially, your auto will be properly repaired. You could sue her for your deductible (access fee?). Are you going to the police or will the insurance report it as a hit and run?
    My insurance have told me that if shes fully responsible then i pay a voluntary acess fee of 350 of which i get re embursed once the car is repaired. I get a courtesy car too while mines being fixed as im fully comp. Also my no claims isnt affected at all....i have so many texts where shes admited she wont give me her isurance details, she will pay the damage....this is a whole conversation spread over 5 weeks which ive sent to the claims department as evidence....i dont no if they need any more evidence than that. Shes kind of done their job for them. I hope this is enough but tbh what more evidence do you need than someone admitting it themselves that they will pay for the damage

Glad i didnt go through unsurance straight away now as ive managed to get all this evidence she prob woodnt of admitted before hand. . . I really do hope they do her over like she tried to do to me. Shes caused me so much stress. She reversed her car really fast down a track and then turned it without even looking with such force straight into my parked car....shes an idiot. She should have the car taken off her.

Originally Posted by kathy679
    My insurance have told me that if shes fully responsible then i pay a voluntary acess fee of 350 of which i get re embursed once the car is repaired. I get a courtesy car too while mines being fixed as im fully comp. Also my no claims isnt affected at all....i have so many texts where shes admited she wont give me her isurance details, she will pay the damage....this is a whole conversation spread over 5 weeks which ive sent to the claims department as evidence....i dont no if they need any more evidence than that. Shes kind of done their job for them. I hope this is enough but tbh what more evidence do you need than someone admitting it themselves that they will pay for the damage

Glad i didnt go through unsurance straight away now as ive managed to get all this evidence she prob woodnt of admitted before hand. . . I really do hope they do her over like she tried to do to me. Shes caused me so much stress. She reversed her car really fast down a track and then turned it without even looking with such force straight into my parked car....shes an idiot. She should have the car taken off her.
    Good to hear you submitted the info. Just sit back and wait now and stay busy with other things. Try not to get stuck in a negative vortex. A lot of people have been in no-fault accidents. It's very frustrating. Take care of yourself and don't do yourself any further damage by worrying about this friendship.

The screenshots themselves likely won't. Anyone can clip their garage backing out and send themselves some texts to doctor up to avoid liability. At the very least, you'll most likely want to get a hold of your carrier to get an official transcript of the texts.

You need to stop communicating with her. Worry about getting your car fixed. No one can do anything until you provide appropriate information Mane address, age make/model of her car, etc). They need facts not reams of catfight texts. You may be hanging yourself because it was you who was trying to burn your own insurance company by not going through them. Your vigilante approach could backfire. No one cares about your friendship with her, they only care about the money they have to pay out.
    i hope her insurance rockets sky high after this. . As thats all she cares about.

Originally Posted by j.man
    The screenshots themselves likely won't. Anyone can clip their garage backing out and send themselves some texts to doctor up to avoid liability. At the very least, you'll most likely want to get a hold of your carrier to get an official transcript of the texts.
    No i rang them and this is what they told me to do. They said it was fine. I can also ring my mobile service and ask them to send the script to my insurance company im sure they will do that. The eveidence is there to be seen . I just need to get these companies to give the evidence

You need to stop communicating with her. Worry about getting your car fixed. No one can do anything until you provide appropriate information Mane address, age make/model of her car, etc). They need facts not reams of catfight texts. You may be hanging yourself because it was you who was trying to burn your own insurance company by not going through them. Your vigilante approach could backfire. No one cares about your friendship with her, they only care about the money they have to pay out.
    Yes i know that.all communication has stopped . It esculated on thursday and friday i stopped talking to her completely so its all good. . Im only issuing them facts and keeping emotions out of it. I havent contacted her now and i wont im just supplying the insurance with the details and if i cant get my friend to get her insurance tomorrow morning im going to go there myself and get it. I dont want to but thats all i need now.

The insurance company are fine ive spoken to them about it and they have said they would like the texts.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice