Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: friend turned out to be selfish

Originally Posted by reinventmyself
    good point.
    How would you handle this if she weren't your friend?
    I would of taken down her insurance details straight away. If she refused i would contact the police.

How long can you leave it after they have hit your car to report it? Does it matter if its 5 weeks later.

I forgot to mention i quoted the law to her about how i can get points on my license or taken to court if i had an accidnet with no washer in my car. .......Of course she wasnt sorry she was outraged that i even mentioned the law.

Everyone ive spoken to thinks shes been out of order

Worst case scenario, how do i go about taking her to a small claims court

[Register to see the link]
    I'm going to guess it will differ depending on where you live, but here's a california link. Google `how to file small claims' for your area

The longer you don't report it to your insurance the greater the chance that you will eat the cost of repairs, not to mention get tickets, won't be able to pass an inspection, etc. You Need to Call your insurance and tell them everything. They will track her down, don't worry. Your insurance would rather have hers pay

The longer you wait the more problems and costs you'll have. Look, it's a hit-and-run. It's That Simple. That's what leaving the scene without giving her insurance info is. Insurance companies deal with that all the time. Call them.

Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    The longer you don't report it to your insurance the greater the chance that you will eat the cost of repairs, not to mention get tickets, won't be able to pass an inspection, etc. You Need to Call your insurance and tell them everything. They will track her down, don't worry. Your insurance would rather have hers pay

The longer you wait the more problems and costs you'll have. Look, it's a hit-and-run. It's That Simple. That's what leaving the scene without giving her insurance info is. Insurance companies deal with that all the time. Call them.
    i need to get her number plate first, i have nothing to go on a apart from her name

Originally Posted by kathy679
    i need to get her number plate first, i have nothing to go on a apart from her name
    At least call your insurance with her name and address, color, make of her car and have them tell you you need more info before you choose to let this go any longer.

My husband was in the car biz for years. Take as many photos as you need, call your insurance co. Take the car for estimates (at least 3) and then do whatever your insurance co. says to do. Your friend is trying to weasel out of paying for the repair or replacement of the bumper. Turning it over to your ins. is what you should have done when it happened. She is no friend. If you are told to report it to the police, then do that.

Ho boy. There's a whole lot in this scenario that you're going to have to do yourself. Pretty much whether you have a leg to stand on at all will depend on your state, locality, and both yours and her insurance companies. And even then, it's going to be an almost guaranteed pain in the ass.

1. It's highly unlikely they'll slap her with a charge for fleeing the scene when you both agreed not to report it. Additionally, depending on your state, you could both simply be slapped with a fine for failing to report the accident just to spite you after the headache and what they'll most likely consider the waste of time that is collecting any definitive details over a month after the fact. Not saying don't do it. Maybe you'll garner some sympathy. Worst you could do is call the PD and ask for general information before you go about bringing someone out and incriminating yourself and getting cited for not reporting. Just keep your expectations grounded.

2. You can and also should consult with your insurance company, but you've got two hurdles both in having delayed in filing an accident report (a lot require one to be filed within 24 - 48 hours regardless of how long you've legally got to do so) and in filing the actual insurance claim, which often carries its own limited window. I'd say the chances one or the other, never mind both won't preclude you from getting a check is pretty damn slim. Again, not a "you shouldn't do it." Just keep your expectations grounded. I'd also likewise call in with a general inquiry if possible to avoid again incriminating yourself on what's most likely a breach of the terms of your insurance policy.

3. In the likely occurrence she doesn't pay you and nobody's insurance is going to pay out, you could do small claims, especially if you've got sound documentation of her admitting fault and which repairs she'll cover. Up to you whether it's worth the hassle of both going to court and then potentially any bucking she does when it comes time to collect. Again... *deep exhale* ... not to say don't do it. Just keep your expectations grounded.

You shot yourself in the foot big time. I'm sorry to tell it like that. Your time to play hardball was immediately after she hit your car, not 5+ weeks after the fact when you're pretty much at her whim as to whether you get this money without a continental headache. Do explore whatever paths of least resistance you can. Definitely no reason to just roll over in case it ends up super easy. But it's ultimately going to be a value judgement of how much this bumper is worth it to you.

Speaking personally, I work seasonally and get a solid four months a year off. During that time, I've got all kinds of time and spare money to get all kinds of petty if a friend like yours got at me like that. Recently had to do it for our NYC landlord who held our deposit thinking we wouldn't do **** because we moved out of state. I genuinely had a blast reporting her illegal AirBnB, calling the housing authority on our old to give it the ooool' inspecta-specta, and invoking some connections I had with the law school I contracted for years with. Landlord needless to say did not have as good a time. Unfortunately, not everyone's got that luxury, so I can't tell you what you need to do in the name of justice.
    Last edited by j.man; 10-03-2019 at 09:39 PM.

Platinum Member
    So I agree with jman - time is money. All your options now are going to take time and aggravation especially since you donít have her details and for all you know she wouldnít pay you even if you went to court and won. Get a quote on how much more it will cost to repair and decide whether itís worth the headache. You might get justice in one way but a lot of aggravation in another way.

Originally Posted by reinventmyself
    At least call your insurance with her name and address, color, make of her car and have them tell you you need more info before you choose to let this go any longer.
    She lives on a narrow boat so i dont no her address. Her car is brown but i dont no the make. I no her phone number. Im thinking of sitting outside and waiting for her to drive in to get her number plate. Bit extreme but maybe worth a shot

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice