Taking a 2 Month Sabbatical to Look for a New Job- Need Job Search Advice

girltalkCA

I currently work as a Wine Buyer for the last 5 years and feeling burnt out/ not appreciated/ wanting a change...etc. I've delayed the job search for awhile because I am so used to the security of my job (the known vs. the unknown) and realize it takes a lot of work and effort to find a new position.

I was able to take a 2 month sabbatical leave which started in September and I have 1 more month left. I've been going heard with the job search, working my contacts, and landed a few interviews and even came to the final interviews with one position I really liked, but they ended up choosing someone else. Now I just feel exhausted from the job search itself, trying to figure out what I want to do....etc. I'm starting to feel negative and losing hope that a better position is out there for me.

My experience is in food/wine/retail...and I've mainly been looking at wine sale rep positions. I'm now opening up my search to other type of positions, especially now that I realize it could take a lot longer to find a position worth changing jobs for. I'm also dreading the thought of having to go back to work....to the same old grind. As many of you know, looking for a job can be a full time job and is even harder to do when you are working full time.

Has anyone gone through something similar and have any words of encouragement or advice? How long did it take to find a new position? Any tips on how to look? Advice on how to stay mentally grounded and positive during this time?

I would not have published your employer name -- it would be a very small number of people at that company in California who are wine buyers currently taking a sabbatical. What exactly is it that you want to do? Looking for a job *should* be a full time job when you do not have one, but when you have one, you should keep it and look for opportunities to network. Almost all of my jobs i have been hired because i knew someone, not because i applied.

Agree. Make sure your LinkedIn is updated. Recruiters scan that . Reset your setting so employers/recruiters can contact you. Also if you like sales/retail, why not something else such as pharmaceutical or other hospitality services.

DO NOT say this at an interview when they ask why you are leaving (or left) your current job!!! :eek:

Finding a new job is a lot like dating in that new employers can sense either the stench of desperation or burnout. Nobody is going to hire a person who feels burned out. It translates into you are not likely to perform well for them either.

I think you would do well to actually relax and take a real time out. Then think about what it is about your job that is so bad and...well....can you change something about it within the job, your approach to it, the company......what can you do differently. Start with that. If you are totally burned out, then who do you want to be and what qualifications do you have or need to head into a different direction. Really put some elbow grease into what specifically you are unsatisfied about. No lazy answers likes "I'm bored with the routine." because you can change that even within the current job. It could be that you simply actually need a real vacay and should just do that. Everyone gets tired, bored, burned out sometimes. That's what vacations are for - to refresh, change your perspective.

Have you thought about going back to school and focusing on being a sommelier if you like wine so much? Every job (95%) of the time is thankless and a grind. Are you sure you're not kidding yourself there and looking for affirmations and congratulations that are a bit illusive? Is your boss giving you a hard time/handing out poor performances or are your workmates bullying you/workplace harassment?

Jobs are thankless because the "thanking" should come from a job well done and your compensation itself. If you're not happy with your income, look into going into school or looking seriously at the job market. Maybe you're not being realistic about being a wine buyer or you aren't as competitive as your peers in your location.

I definitely feel for you though and can empathize on the toll finding a position that works best for you and your other commitments. Don't lose faith in yourself and be practical most of all.

Archived