Self Improvement questions! Things to do in place of time wasting :)

iKokomo

Hello! This is my first post! :) The reason I joined the forums is the fact that I would like to make some changes in life for the better.

Therefore I am looking for either books, podcasts or YouTube channels that I can read/watch/listen to on my free time instead of random entertainment.

The topics that I am looking for are the following:

1. Leadership Tips

2. How to ask better questions.

3. How to make constructive criticism

4. How to converse better or make better conversation

Sorry, I know this is a random list, but these are topics that I have been thinking about for a while that I would like to improve.

Also, Google "emotional intelligence" aka EQ. It's a great way to learn self improvement.

Take advantage of your local library and read books about emotional intelligence, empathy, human psychology, study narcissism and gaslighting either online or from hard copy books from your library. Learning these topics will help you to interact with others effectively and learn warning flag from others who are incurable!

Two recommendations to start of with:

- Becoming a Person of Influence by John C. Maxwell. Absolutely love it! He writes a lot of books on leadership, choose whichever you think is best.

- Impact Theory by Tom Bilyeu. Check out his youtube channel. He interviews all sorts of different people, a few guests are uninteresting but you can always skip those. Overall, it's pretty stellar stuff! You really learn heaps, you get a glimpse into that guest's life and you discover other engaging people to follow.

I'm also keen to see what others suggest.

Take some classes and courses about business management as well as interpersonal skills. This sounds work related so don't rely on random YouTube posters. Look for advice, books etc that address specifically interacting in a business environment.

If this is personal, you can skip 2 and 3 and join some clubs, groups, teams, etc to improve verbal skills. The best verbal skill you can have is being an attentive listener. The best way to lead is by example, not this more draconian approach of questions and criticism. That rarely confers respect, which you must have to lead.

1. Leadership Tips

2. How to ask better questions.

3. How to make constructive criticism

4. How to converse better or make better conversation

Keep the suggestions coming! :) Thanks a lot! Just to let you know, I am currently full-time in school, so I am not really looking at taking any more classes. I am looking more for videos/podcasts that I can watch/listen to instead of watching mindless youtube videos and books that I can read instead of playing games.

Keep the suggestions coming! :) Thanks a lot! Just to let you know, I am currently full-time in school, so I am not really looking at taking any more classes. I am looking more for videos/podcasts that I can watch/listen to instead of watching mindless youtube videos and books that I can read instead of playing games.

It's not all that complicated. If you want to become a successful person professionally and in your personal life, learn to respect others and have self-respect. Remember 'The Golden Rule:' "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Be a very moral person, exercise integrity, practice being an honorable, decent, very humble human being. Humility is often overlooked by many and sorely lacking, unfortunately. It's all so basic and common sense stuff yet people think self improvement, high standards, and polishing interpersonal relationships are complex when it really isn't.

I like this.

Prefer this over any book. Do it do it.

So I know the OP said she is in school full time but getting involved doesn't have to be a specific time commitment like taking a course - many places will be flexible (although my top suggestion is volunteering backstage at a community theater for all of the reasons you want to improve -but that would require a more specific commitment especially in the weeks before the show opens).

If you're very busy as a student or with life in general, just stick to the basics of human decency because that's self improvement right there. No need to DO anything else. Behave graciously, surround yourself with people whom you admire and respect. The rest will take care of itself regarding knowing who you are, harsh realities of society and human nature.

Adding to what I suggested earlier, you can find lots of books on leadership and whatnot on Audible, should you not have much time to read. To be honest, I love reading books and listening to other professionals / people on youtube videos as you learn new concepts and stuff that you may not have heard of and can apply in your life. Plus, I find that surrounding myself with highly motivated people helps me to stay motivated.

Having said that, applying the concepts of what you read and hear is key. Self-improvement is only possible if you actually practice what you learn. Also, not every so-called "guru" is worth following. It's always good to read reviews, do some research, etc.

Archived