Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I being petty?

Are you her supervisor or in human resources? Who makes the schedules? Ask her to contact those people. Simple. Ignore the texts and refer her to the appropriate place.
    Originally Posted by MrsWise
    So one of my co workers who only works every other weekend randomly texted me and asked me to send her a picture of a schedule so she can see if she gets booked during the week.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Camber 2019
    I wouldn't make things up. I would just say, "You know, it would be much easier for me if you could look at the schedule when you are here... it doesn't change".
    Actually, if the coworker only works every other weekend, especially in a retail or restaurant environment, the schedule could very well change in between those two weekends. The coworker would have to go to work when they were not working, walk into the backroom and look. It could be the coworker has a full time job elsewhere. I would say continue to do it, and you never know, this coworker might be happy to switch with you one day should you need it. The cowkorker might want a picture so they know the management didn't add a shift. It has happened to me also where a new manager saw me "open" and didn't realize i had an agreement with the owner that i didn't work certain times because of classes.

Originally Posted by Rose Mosse
    I like this idea too.

OP, why does she have your cellphone number?
    co works often get numbers from other co workers in the office when they need to call the person to exchange shifts and whatnot

Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    Are you her supervisor or in human resources? Who makes the schedules? Ask her to contact those people. Simple. Ignore the texts and refer her to the appropriate place.
    Yes, that's what I've done in the past. I'll send the lazy coworker the managers number.

Originally Posted by abitbroken
    I would say continue to do it, and you never know, this coworker might be happy to switch with you one day should you need it.
    You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours? I like this too.

I think what it boils down to is what your work relationship is like. I used to work shifts at a restaurant putting myself through school and making ends meet. It wasn't unusual to check in with each other on the posted schedule (if it was off or not accurate) if the manager wasn't available or couldn't respond right away. In a perfect world, managers would always know what they're doing and they'd do their best for their staff. Sadly... very few work places are perfect.

It doesn't sound like there's a good enough set up for scheduling either way. Bring it up to the people who make the schedules and let them know perhaps it's time to get with the times - make it available electronically. I know some places that even post shift work on social media groups to make the schedule available and a lot easier for everyone.

I wouldn't overthink this... hence my "passive aggressive" route. It's not really your problem (don't make it one).

Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    no I'm not her supervisor nor am i responsible for making the scedule

Originally Posted by abitbroken
    Actually, if the coworker only works every other weekend, especially in a retail or restaurant environment, the schedule could very well change in between those two weekends. The coworker would have to go to work when they were not working, walk into the backroom and look. It could be the coworker has a full time job elsewhere. I would say continue to do it, and you never know, this coworker might be happy to switch with you one day should you need it. The cowkorker might want a picture so they know the management didn't add a shift. It has happened to me also where a new manager saw me "open" and didn't realize i had an agreement with the owner that i didn't work certain times because of classes.
    The said co worker doesn't work elsewhere. This is their only job

If its convenient for you to do it (ie you're literally near the schedule) then do it.

If its not then don't.

Sometimes its just nice to be nice especially if the person isn't being deliberately annoying, they are just a bit forgetful or disorganized.

Sometimes its clear that you are being used. If it is clear to you that the person is using you, you just claim you 'didn't see their message' or 'forgot all about it'.

Ok refer her to whoever that is. Simple.
    no I'm not her supervisor nor am i responsible for making the scedule

The said co worker doesn't work elsewhere. This is their only job
    I'd forget to reply and become unreliable. She'd need to find a plan B without a word from me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice