Am I being petty?

MrsWise

So one of my co workers who only works every other weekend randomly texted me and asked me to send her a picture of a schedule so she can see if she gets booked during the week. I sent her. now she made it habit to now texting during the week asking for a pic of the schedule I'm starting to get annoyed because she never use to texts me for that subject matter and most of the time when she comes in on very second weekend the new scedule for the following week is usually posted for most part. How can i proceed?

How awkward. I'd say I changed my phone plan and for some reason some messages are not getting through anymore/reception is spotty. It's probably a lot more reliable for her to check it herself every week. Since you work with each other, keep things cordial and professional. Don't argue about it.

How awkward. I'd say I changed my phone plan and for some reason some messages are not getting through anymore/reception is spotty. It's probably a lot more reliable for her to check it herself every week. Since you work with each other, keep things cordial and professional. Don't argue about it.

I wouldn't make things up. I would just say, "You know, it would be much easier for me if you could look at the schedule when you are here... it doesn't change".

I mean how often are we talking about here? Once a week? I wouldn't drop what you are doing to go text her immediately, but....it seems like a pretty much no effort kind of a thing If she is asking more often, then "hey you know schedule doesn't change once posted" would suffice. If you want to go the passive aggressive route, then just "sorry busy right now" and then "forget" to do it. In other words get really flaky about it and let her find someone else.

One thing is that you acknowledged yourself that the schedule may or may not be posted when she is there. So if it isn't she does need to ask people. Not sure this is something worth getting in a huff about. Better approach to work is to be nice to people and get along because you never know when it may pay back dividends for you and how.

I would suggest she ask the manager to post the schedule because you get busy and can't be counted on to send it to her in a timely way. I recently had this situation with a former neighbor who moved a few blocks away and got into the habit of wanting me to text her when the school bus was coming and to give her other information about school bus timing at the time I was at the bus stop. I rarely take my phone out while waiting for the bus -on purpose because I am keeping an eye on my son and the street to see the bus. And as soon as the bus comes I run upstairs to do my morning routine without looking at my phone. I want to be "nice" to my former neighbor but realized I had to nip it in the bud. So I texted her that I run upstairs as soon as the bus comes, told her the range of when the bus comes, and she got the message. For now. Why does your coworker feel entitled to use you as her personal assistant in this way? Has she done you similar favors or do you need her to? I'd also consider that. Those situations are really annoying, i can relate.

Seems like the least efforted way you could win some brownie points with a co-worker, but if you really don't want to, then you gotta do you. Would you be petty if perhaps you found yourself in the parking lot after your shift, and simply not wanting to back into the building for her sake? I don't think so. Even if you were inside and just shrugged it off and ignored the text, I wouldn't necessarily say so. But actually getting upset over it? That's a pretty low tipping point.

Are you her supervisor or in human resources? Who makes the schedules? Ask her to contact those people. Simple. Ignore the texts and refer her to the appropriate place.

So one of my co workers who only works every other weekend randomly texted me and asked me to send her a picture of a schedule so she can see if she gets booked during the week.
I wouldn't make things up. I would just say, "You know, it would be much easier for me if you could look at the schedule when you are here... it doesn't change".

Actually, if the coworker only works every other weekend, especially in a retail or restaurant environment, the schedule could very well change in between those two weekends. The coworker would have to go to work when they were not working, walk into the backroom and look. It could be the coworker has a full time job elsewhere. I would say continue to do it, and you never know, this coworker might be happy to switch with you one day should you need it. The cowkorker might want a picture so they know the management didn't add a shift. It has happened to me also where a new manager saw me "open" and didn't realize i had an agreement with the owner that i didn't work certain times because of classes.

I would say continue to do it, and you never know, this coworker might be happy to switch with you one day should you need it.

You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours? I like this too.

I think what it boils down to is what your work relationship is like. I used to work shifts at a restaurant putting myself through school and making ends meet. It wasn't unusual to check in with each other on the posted schedule (if it was off or not accurate) if the manager wasn't available or couldn't respond right away. In a perfect world, managers would always know what they're doing and they'd do their best for their staff. Sadly... very few work places are perfect.

It doesn't sound like there's a good enough set up for scheduling either way. Bring it up to the people who make the schedules and let them know perhaps it's time to get with the times - make it available electronically. I know some places that even post shift work on social media groups to make the schedule available and a lot easier for everyone.

I wouldn't overthink this... hence my "passive aggressive" route. It's not really your problem (don't make it one).

Actually, if the coworker only works every other weekend, especially in a retail or restaurant environment, the schedule could very well change in between those two weekends. The coworker would have to go to work when they were not working, walk into the backroom and look. It could be the coworker has a full time job elsewhere. I would say continue to do it, and you never know, this coworker might be happy to switch with you one day should you need it. The cowkorker might want a picture so they know the management didn't add a shift. It has happened to me also where a new manager saw me "open" and didn't realize i had an agreement with the owner that i didn't work certain times because of classes.

The said co worker doesn't work elsewhere. This is their only job

If its convenient for you to do it (ie you're literally near the schedule) then do it.

If its not then don't.

Sometimes its just nice to be nice especially if the person isn't being deliberately annoying, they are just a bit forgetful or disorganized.

Sometimes its clear that you are being used. If it is clear to you that the person is using you, you just claim you 'didn't see their message' or 'forgot all about it'.

Archived