He’s 9 Years Younger and I Don’t Know What I’m Doing

ClaireDarling

So there’s a person I work with who is a whopping 9 years younger than me. I originally was intrigued because he looked so much like someone I enjoy to watch on YouTube (but that person is older and a YouTube personality).

Anyway, this kid is the sweetest thing and he typically jokes with me and ask about games I’m playing cause I mentioned that I do in fact play video games.

Anyway, I’m not sure there’s an actual attraction, but I wanna get to know him? He asked me to teach him to play a certain game once I learned to play it since it can be kinda complicated.

Anyway, I posted this here because he’s quite shy and I can be at times too, but I was thinking about asking him to join a discord server I’m in that has ages 18-30. He’s 18, by the way. I’m 27.

I know I have absolutely no business wanting to be friends with him, but he honestly makes my day better sometimes cause he’s just sweet and so positive all the time and I’d love to be able to have that sort of friendship(?) outside of work.

I apologize if this is in the wrong category.

It's unwise to pursue him no matter who he looks like. Therapy may help you get out of your head and stop crushing on inappropriate targets. So would joining some clubs, groups, sports, getting out more and getting on dating apps.

I originally was intrigued because he looked so much like someone I enjoy to watch on YouTube. I’d love to be able to have that sort of friendship(?) outside of work.

Keep things professional. I think you're lonely. Try meeting others outside of work at hobbies, other engagements, activities, join different business associations. Get out and be a bit more involved with the community. I'm very sorry but your scope is extremely small if you're seeking the friendship of an 18 year old for the purpose of video games at the age of 27, someone you know at work too. Don't sabotage your career. Go out and meet more of your peers at your own age and engage with other people who have similar interests. The whole point is to expand and meet new people.

I would just like to mention that at 18, he is in a totally different frame of mind and stage of life than you. I very much doubt that he wants the same things you do, or even thinks about those things.

But if you still want to get to know him on a strictly platonic basis, having him on your Discord server might be cool. You could game together that way. But keep in mind that not only are you seeing him at work, you will then be interacting with him during your free time, so you'll be communicating with him a whole lot. Try to remain friendly and professional.

Honestly, a woman who was 29 pursued my 18 year old brother and it did NOT end well. Guys are less mature than women at 18 and you will have little in common except work and his hot bod. Honestly, he is a teenager, even though he is a legal adult. Enjoy the he is easy on the eyes, but go out to where men 25+ hang out and volunteer where they volunteer.

At 18 he has a LOT of growing up to do. It's very unlikely that anything good could come out of this attraction. Imo, befriending him would be playing with fire and wasting your time and energy. Due to being so young, at some point he would end up letting you down one way or the other.

I wouldn't even connect with him via the game because in the blink of an eye something could be taken the wrong way and you are the adult. I agree -take this as a sign that you need to get out there a bit more. In 5 or 6 years if you want to reconnect at least then you'll both be adults and likely not working together.

Do you not do well with men your own age? Are you now interested in a young guy because he seems more easy to control, manipulate, deal with?

Do men your own age intimidate you or you strike out with them?

Sorry if that sounds offensive but it's the first thing that came to mind when a woman your age sets her sights on a guy this young.

Archived