Fear of death

Sunnie19

Hi all! Over the years there has been a lot of death in my family. It seems like it has come to the point where there is a fear of losing someone else at any moment. I think most of us in the family are feeling this way. We just want to hold on to each other, stay close by, do our best to look out for each other and always make sure to say I love you and never walk away without saying goodbye. These are things we should all do but maybe some of this is out of fear that it may be the last goodbye.

I have another post here about moving away and this is one problem I have with moving...a fear of what might happen while I'm away. Will someone close pass, will I pass....I want to live my life without this fear but I'm not getting any younger, and what if......

I don't want any regrets or broken hearts.

Is there anyone here who can relate???

I was very afraid when I was younger. It was difficult to understand what life would be like without those closest to me. What you can do is spend your time with your loved ones and don't eclipse the good/happy moments by negative or depressing thoughts. Live in the moment. Live fully. That's how you live a rich and rewarding life, full of memories and little regrets.

Is there anyone here who can relate???

I don't have a fear of me dying personally (except of course if it were in some ghastly manner). I've lost a couple relatives, pets, etc., and I didn't handle it well.

But the fear of someone super close like a parent? Good God. I can't even begin to imagine when that time comes, even though it is the natural course of life, the fear is real.

I'm sure everyone relates on some level so you're not alone.

I think everyone can relate even though they won't always express their fear of dying or fear of losing loved ones. They won't ever tell you in a million years either.

I've lost relatives (including my father), family members on my in-laws' side, dear friends and my beloved Golden Retriever in Jan 2019. Ironically, it was losing my dog which hit me the hardest of all; more than humans. I still haven't healed nor recovered from losing "man's / woman's best friend." :upset:

I try not to think about death, missing loved ones, my death or anyone's death. I just want to enjoy my life and everyone in it. I concentrate on living.

What helps me is knowing someday I'll go home to Jesus. I'm not afraid. I know I am loved by Him. My faith is strong, steadfast and unwavering.

In the meantime, I appreciate everyday especially with people who treat me with respect.

Regarding death and dying, I wouldn't mind if certain people whom I don't respect were to perish. I might be a bit saddened for only a second but I wouldn't miss them either.

I know it's not the greatest sentiment, but death happens, there is nothing you can do about it. We cannot hide our families in a small box in hope nothing ever happens to them, and likewise, we cannot stop living our lives in fear that something is going to happen to those we love. Doing either of these things is not love, although it may feel like it, it's actually acting in fear, which can block love.

My parents are likely going to pass on in the next decade. Mum just turned 70 and I can see her heading down the dementia path very quickly in the next couple of years. But, there's nothing I can do about that. I live on the other side of the world and see them from time to time, once a year or so. I skype etc between times, but we are not in each other's pockets. They would look down at me if I were to stop living my life just because they are in their twilight years. I love them and I always will, even when they pass.

I'm sorry you've been thru so much loss lately.

Sadly, death is a fact of life. There's nothing you can do to "protect yourself". Life is unpredictable and you just never know.

But you can't let fear stop you from living your life. And anyone that really loves you would (I hope) not tell you to stop living and doing what makes you happy. Death comes no matter what. Whether or not we expect it, prepare for it, or fear it. It still comes.

IMO, the best thing to do is what you're already doing. Don't take any moment for granted. Facing the fact of death is healthy- any time you say goodbye to ANYONE could be the last time. You just never know.

All you can do is do your best to love as much as possible, enjoy every moment and when the time comes- reflect in gratefulness for the good times that you shared and move forward.

Archived