Do you see ‘pictures’ when you imagine?

FirstDates

I cant draw, I am not autistic, but I see pictures when I imagine. A bird would probably be sitting on a branch or whatever and most likely quite colourful. If I imagine a house I'd like to live in, I can see the shape of it, what the surrounding area might look like, is it a bungalow or two storey, does it have a garage? All the details I can picture. I really cant imagine just a "thing" and not seeing am image of some sort.

When you close your eyes and imagine someone or something do you actually see something in your mind?

Yes, and I don't have to close my eyes to do it. I think drawing helps clarify it. Like if you have a concept in your mind and you speak it out loud, or write it down. Those concepts and ideas still existed in your mind, and you understood them to some degree, before you knew letters or words.

I find this conversation fascinating...

I can think in images - but it requires a different level of concentration.

So - walking around day-to-day, I’m not seeing images in my mind when I’m thinking. I think I would find that very distracting? But if you ask me to imagine a bird, and I close my eyes or I’m staring off into space, or I’m doing some post-yoga meditation or something - yes - I can see images. Like a dream.

But it’s definitely a different “part” of my brain or something. I can’t multi-task when I’m imagining things - but I can definitely multi-task when I’m “regular” thinking.

It depends what I am thinking about. I was able to do well on closed book exams because I could imagine my entire written notes on the page (I handwrote and rewrote my handwritten notes with a pen -didn't type -that is how I retained) - and I literally could copy what I saw onto the exam paper. That was an image- a picture. I have very vivid dreams at night, I cannot draw but I do think I see actual pictures I just don't think about it. I am not autistic. Very interesting question!

I cant draw, I am not autistic, but I see pictures when I imagine. A bird would probably be sitting on a branch or whatever and most likely quite colourful. If I imagine a house I'd like to live in, I can see the shape of it, what the surrounding area might look like, is it a bungalow or two storey, does it have a garage? All the details I can picture. I really cant imagine just a "thing" and not seeing am image of some sort.
Isn't it the same for everyone? I thought this is how human brain works.

Archived